Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

yeah, visa stopped being instant after the idiots tried to take advantage of the system
On April 1, I experimented with using my Wise Visa card at Starbucks (I only carry Canadian/US/UY currency, no ARS account) and I got the MEP rate instantly, at the time of purchase. Waaay nicer experience than MasterCard's awkward overcharge/reimburse system.

Keep in mind that the Canadian dollar kind of sucks right now, but here's how my Wise Visa card broke down the purchase. They don't provide the exchange rate, but for this purchase I paid about $0.19 CAD more than the blue rate.

84670ed4-57ab-409b-846d-017525c9c7bc.jpg
Keep in

Last edited:
I just experimented with my Wise Visa card down here (only carrying Canadian/US/UY currency, no ARS account) and I got the MEP rate at the time of purchase.
probably because it's a debit card, they always get it instantly

Anyone know much about using apple pay in Argentina? Coto say they don’t have it even though they have contactless machines. Tried it in starbucks and it didn’t work but did get it to work in mcdonalds on the second try. She said she put it through as debit even though it was a credit card.

Just another data point for American Express. I wanted to test it as I read about some people getting rebates for AMEX.

Here is my experience. On March 28 I charged my Personal internet bill to my AMEX which is issued in the USA. I was charged $63.36 US dollars and today (April 6) I got a credit for $26.18 US dollars. So I was effectively charged $37.18 US dollars. My bill was for 13,047 pesos for an effective rate of 350 pesos to $1 US.

Although I was credited today (April 6) on my statement online at AMEX it shows the credit posting with a date of March 29 (the day after the charge).

The note on the credit for my USA Amex card says, "REFUND USD TOURIST BCIUDAD AUTONOMA DE BA". So from initial charge to refund it was 9 days.

I paid two weeks ago with my Visa Santander card my plane tickets to Ushuaia. I got the MEP rate at the beginning then was charged with the official rate and a few days later (4 days) got a credit in a different transaction.

Two days later I made another payment with a local travel agency (Patagonline) and occurred the same, got the MEP rate but when the charge was final got the official rate. The diferencia is that its been two weeks and have not gotten the reimbursement. Has anyone has had the same problem. My card is from Mexico.

The charge was made March 24.

I paid two weeks ago with my Visa Santander card my plane tickets to Ushuaia. I got the MEP rate at the beginning then was charged with the official rate and a few days later (4 days) got a credit in a different transaction.

Two days later I made another payment with a local travel agency (Patagonline) and occurred the same, got the MEP rate but when the charge was final got the official rate. The diferencia is that its been two weeks and have not gotten the reimbursement. Has anyone has had the same problem. My card is from Mexico.

The charge was made March 24.
Last time I used a visa (last month) the pending charge was the official rate until it gets posted at the MEP rate, there is no refund, only for mastercard (and Amex) it does that. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Last time I used a visa (last month) the pending charge was the official rate until it gets posted at the MEP rate, there is no refund, only for mastercard it does that. Am I missing something

March 20 I got some plane tickets with Aerolineas Argentinas with my Visa Card. I was charged pending with the MEP Rate, two or three days later was charged at the official rate. Then four days later got a refund. All this with my Visa Card. My refund was made March 27.

I made another charge with Patagonline and occurred exactly the same btu have not gotten the refund. I made the charge March 24, was charged at the MEP rate but then charged finally at the official rate.

On the other hand my Citi MC WE works with the official rate and then a few days later I get the refund.

I am worried with the VISA card. Called help center and Have no idea what is am talking about

March 20 I got some plane tickets with Aerolineas Argentinas with my Visa Card. I was charged pending with the MEP Rate, two or three days later was charged at the official rate. Then four days later got a refund. All this with my Visa Card. My refund was made March 27.

I made another charge with Patagonline and occurred exactly the same btu have not gotten the refund. I made the charge March 24, was charged at the MEP rate but then charged finally at the official rate.

On the other hand my Citi MC WE works with the official rate and then a few days later I get the refund.

I am worried with the VISA card. Called help center and Have no idea what is am talking about
I think the easiest solution to this problem would be asking them for a refund on the visa and charging to your MC.

Anybody also start getting problems when the cashiers start asking for the DNI?
Earlier this year it was enough for most of them when i showed the number on my drivers license but now almost all of them start asking for passports...

Back