Foreign Holidays In Argentina

Do you celebrate your country's holidays in Argentina?

• Yes, and I am as traditional as possible, from food to decor

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Yes, but I adapt the traditions/food to the weather and culture

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • No, I didn't really celebrate them much in my home country either

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • No, I just work off the Argentine holiday calendar

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other- explain in the comments!

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

BAMama

Registered
I am sure plenty of Americans like myself celebrated Thanksgiving a few days ago, but I am curious, how many of you stick to your home country's holiday traditions? I insisted on making a full-on traditional dinner, but with the heat, I think that perhaps for Christmas we might alter the menu a bit!

I do what I can with the ingredients available and with what I can afford. For instance with thanksgiving I simply made an apple and chicken dish with honey glaze. It wasn't nearly what I would have had in the States but it was better than my day to day meals I have here.

I've never been much one to celebrate holidays even in the States. Of course, Thanksgiving and Christmas are hard to avoid there to some extent, and really the only one I've ever enjoyed was Thanksgiving - for the food, company and football games!

We did have a dinner with a group of expats on Thursday. It was more of an excuse to get together though. And we had turkey stuffed with dressing, ham (yeah, it was a processed block of ham bought from a fiambreria, not a real ham - although you can get a real ham from a carniceria, they don't have the same taste and consistency as the US-style hams) some cranberry sauce a couple of guys had brought with them from the States, good gravy, mashed potatoes etc. The guy who volunteered to do the cooking actually found a 9 kilo turkey which sufficed for the twelve of us.

Yes - we prepared the traditional T'giving dinner with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, etc. No cranberries or pumpkin pie though :( I made an apple pie instead. And I decorated the table in fall colours - red/orange/yellow flowers with apples in the vases as a filler, orange candles, etc.

We also do a turkey for Xmas as well.

Makes no sense to me to eat wintery, stodgy xmas food in the sweltering summer heat, Xmas will not be a traditional event. I might seek out a pint of porter for St Paddy's day but that would be the height of it. Never thought too much of turkey, always found it bland although i will miss Xmas pudding.

Depends on the holiday... for now I just don't celebrate. It doesn't make a lot of sense to go through all the trouble for just two people. Holidays to me are celebrated with those around you and we don't entertain hardly ever so.

I have thought that if we're going to raise children here I'd try to get more into the holiday spirit and share some of the traditions... like painting Easter eggs or carving pumpkins, because it's fun and I would want my kids to experience similar traditions as I grew up with. But I really can't see my husband getting too excited about carving a pumpkin to put on the balcony and my in laws would probably think I'm crazy. ;)

You can try to recreate the experience, but it's never quite like spending it at home surrounded by people that share the same culture. :)

What Argentines eat at Christmas are also weather inappropiate. Pan dulce, nuts, chocolates, lots of mayo.

When back in the UK there are times when I do have this irrational urge to just go outside and bang a saucepan

Then I have a mate cocido and feel slightly better

It's simply a nostalgia thing I guess

mmm it depends on the holiday! :p i tend to do some stuff on Halloween, 4th of July and thats about it! But since I'm gonna have more time from now on, I'm gonna try and celebrate some more.

Other
I can't get myself into the holiday spirit here. In the US I would celebrate every holiday to its fullest however it just does not feel the same for me here. I dread Christmas because I made the mistake of making cookies last year to try to get myself into the mood but the cookies melted BEFORE i could get them into the oven! It was a disaster! They were yummy, or so everyone said, but very flat. My husband asked if I would do it again this year but if it is 90 degrees again, no way! ;)

Back