Foreigners Cannot Buy Travel In Pesos??

Let's imagine this situation:

John Doe, who has no debit/credit card, comes to spend 2 weeks in Argentina.
He comes with 3.000 USD to cover his expenses, and since he has no clue about the informal market, he changes all of them at the official rate.

He goes to a travel agency to buy an airplane ticket :

"Sorry Sir, you need to pay us in dollars"

"Damn, I changed all of them... Fine, I'll change part of my pesos back in dollars. Where do I have to go for that ?"

"You have to go to the Banco Central and show the receipt of your exchange operation Sir".

B)
etc. etc.

Ha so true! I don't understand the legality of this at all. is this the result of weeks ago them claiming they would make a "tourist exchange rate" etc?? It will definitely have the opposite effect they wanted

When will the Government realize the problem is way way deeper than foreigners bringing US dollars and the blue market. They should start thinking why there is a blue market, why do Argentinians want dollars, why no one will loan to money to the Government, why no one trusts the banks and keeps their money in dollars, property, under their bed etc. They need to start looking in the mirror and realize their policies are the reasons for the massive devaluation of the peso and rampant inflation. But no, lets go around blaming everyone else for a situation they have created. Look at all the neighboring countries who don't have to deal with these issues. This problem is unique to a few countries and there is a very clear similarity in political ideals at Government level (Argentina, Venezuela). This is another band aid solution that will also fail. Watch the dollar blue rise again.

Looks like we started this same topic 4 minutes apart. Sorry we have two threads.

To sum it up, as of today non residents will pay 10% more than locals. But when there is a will there is a way, could a local buy your ticket or pay for your hotel and the reservations be under your name? Just brainstorming.

Tried to find info on the AFIP website around the scope of this ruling. Naturally, it ain't easy!

To sum it up, as of today non residents will pay 10% more than locals. But when there is a will there is a way, could a local buy your ticket or pay for your hotel and the reservations be under your name? Just brainstorming.

Yes but everyone needs to show their DNI/passport at the time of purchase. Hence, those who aren't residents, their tickets/bookings will need to be made with dollars/foreign currency.

PS: Its not just 10%. The government isn't busting their pelotas because of the difference between the official buy/sell. They're trying to figure things out on how to stop people from taking advantage of the blue dolar. The difference there is some 45-50%. In other words, the people who used blue dolars for their purchases will now have to pay 45-50% more.

This is from March 2013 http://www.ambito.com/diario/noticia.asp?id=680092 nothing happened, why would it be any different then?

Yes but everyone needs to show their DNI/passport at the time of purchase. Hence, those who aren't residents, their tickets/bookings will need to be made with dollars/foreign currency.

PS: Its not just 10%. The government isn't busting their pelotas because of the difference between the official buy/sell. They're trying to figure things out on how to stop people from taking advantage of the blue dolar. The difference there is some 45-50%. In other words, the people who used blue dolars for their purchases will now have to pay 45-50% more.

What if a local friend buys the tickets?

Back