Foreigners Cannot Buy Travel In Pesos??

Small operators will make every effort to not accept pesos and will use this rule to their advantage.

This isnt going to affect real tourists. They have dollars or foreign CCs. The only people up in arms seem to be the permatourists. Its rather simple, if you want to be treated like a legal resident and recieve all the benefits that entails, then become a legal resident. There is no reason why Argentinian tax payers need to subsidize your travel and lodging expenses. I have a DNI, so this doesnt affect me one iota. If anything, hopefully this will push more permatourists into becoming legal residents. NFL.

First of all, many tourists elect to come to Argentina because they ARE aware of how cheap it is with the paralel dollar situation. So in theory, wouldn't this deter tourism and end up hurting the economy?

And to mr. 'eligible': not all people who are being 'let' to enter and re-enter Argentina by lax customs officials are applicable to become legal residents. we should be a little more grateful right? I'd love to know how you managed to get your DNI, whether your job pays you in pesos or USD, if you have an Argy credit card, and how often you travel abroad to use it.

Small operators will make every effort to not accept pesos and will use this rule to their advantage.

Yes, it's a strange situation.
Certain operators could use the new rules to their own volition and benefit - why wouldn't you.
But if a foreigner turns around to walk away from a transaction (because they don't have their 'home' currency / cc on them or they simply don't want to pay it), the afore mentioned operator could change their mind and take what they can get (i.e. Argentine pesos).

It's another string to the local economy's bow to get their hands on foreign bills.

This monetary policy has a real 'make it up as you go along' flavour to it.

But then shouldn't all tourists be excluded the 21% V.A,T. for tourist services (hotels.tours etc) ?

But how can they enforce this? Can they make the bus companies at Retiro check DNIs to accept pesos? Can they make hotels only accept dollars? What if the hotel/hostel doesn't take CCs... something is not adding up.

Bus companies in Retiro do require DNI all the time even for domestic destinations, and always for international ones. Hotels until not to long ago had different rates for local residents, when a booking comes from abroad they quote in Dollars, at different rates.

There will be millions of What if's .. the old lady that rents a room .... well the AFIP will put her in jail... jejejej

@Sleuth - Thanks for the most clear explanation yet. Makes sense. Sounds like they are basically closing off the arbitrage options many people were taking advantage of in regards to travel packages and airline tickets.

First of all, many tourists elect to come to Argentina because they ARE aware of how cheap it is with the paralel dollar situation. So in theory, wouldn't this deter tourism and end up hurting the economy?
In my many travels between the US/Argentina and talking with the average tourist, most are ignorant of the blue rate and/or terrified of carrying a lot of cash to exchange to fund their trip. Cash is not on their radar. It has been and shall remain a credit card world for most tourists to Argentina. This idea that tourists using the blue rate are depleting reserves is way over rated in my view.

In my many travels between the US/Argentina and talking with the average tourist, most are ignorant of the blue rate and/or terrified of carrying a lot of cash to exchange to fund their trip. Cash is not on their radar. It has been and shall remain a credit card world for most tourists to Argentina. This idea that tourists using the blue rate are depleting reserves is way over rated in my view.

Almost all tourists from Brazil , Uruguay and Chile use the blue market.

Try walking down Florida St and see how many cambistas are working each block

This is not aimed at the (relatively small) permatourist community, even though we all think that is the whole world here. It is aimed at the visitors from neighboring countries (Uruguay and Chile) who are buying travel packages and airfare in pesos at the blue rate - even with the 20% tax it was still a deal. "Come to Argentina and buy your trip to Disneyworld, you'll save 30%!"

This is also not going to affect local tour companies, bus services, car rentals, etc. This is for the travel businesses who need to get their money outside of the country and have to convert to USD or other currency through the central bank in order to pay suppliers (foreign airlines, hotels, etc). Those who do not need money outside of the country will be happy to accept pesos without ever having to go to the central bank.

This is why I said I had doubts that hotels are affected. The smaller local hotels never deal with the central bank. Larger chain hotels may be a different story, especially if they want to take profits out of Argentina.

Sleuth MAYBE you are correct time will tell .... I will remind you tough if your interpretation is WRONG ...!! The Central Bank Regulation said All Touristic Services in the Country shall be paid with CC or foreign Currency by non-residents. Period The aim is to get the business from the ARBOLITOS....!! :eek:

You imply that is not aimed at al my USA, Brasilian, and European tourist friends that are coming down now to enjoy the arbolito rate to pay for the leather goods , bife the chorizo, and hotel rates, they book only one night and pay cash arbolito rate...!! and invite company OVER at this subsidized rates... jajajajja

Blame it only on a few unethical Chileans and Uruguayans.... :wub: psshhhh..!!

Maybe you are correct ONLY the Sheraton's and Hiltons and Hertz et al. will be affected :rolleyes: (I doubt it )

Back