Foreigners Cannot Buy Travel In Pesos??

Yup! When you get on the colectivo next, tourist/permatourists will have to pay in dollars...All colectiveros are now paid double the salary as they also work for AFIP.

EDIT:

:p (lest someone think I'm serious).

haha, I was referring to bus travel from say BA to Mendoza, not Callao to Federico Lacroze.

The majority of foreign tourists are Brasilians and Chilenos - how will they react when tourism in Argentina becomes more expensive?

This does not affect their visiting or spending here. They were going to pay the same price for their airline tickets from home, and can still convert at the blue rate for their non-tourism spending here. The main goal of this is to stop Chileans and Uruguayans from booking travel packages to Miami (etc) with an Argentine tourist agency and paying in pesos.

The one thing this may affect is inter-Argentine travel. Trips for foreigners to multiple destinations in Argentina will be more expensive. Also, expect the Buquebus to cost a lot more now too.

This does not affect their visiting or spending here. They were going to pay the same price for their airline tickets from home, and can still convert at the blue rate for their non-tourism spending here. The main goal of this is to stop Chileans and Uruguayans from booking travel packages to Miami (etc) with an Argentine tourist agency and paying in pesos.

The one thing this may affect is inter-Argentine travel. Trips for foreigners to multiple destinations in Argentina will be more expensive. Also, expect the Buquebus to cost a lot more now too.

Disagree ....Non residents Chileans etc. will have to pay the Hotel here as tourism expense with dollar CC ... lodging as mentioned by Central bank.

Still we hope leather goods can be paid in pesos... ad bife de Chorizo

Disagree ....Non residents Chileans etc. will have to pay the Hotel here as tourism expense with dollar CC ... lodging as mentioned by Central bank.

I'm not so sure hotels are a part of this. We'll have to see.

So if I understand correctly all the purchases for stuff like flights and that can be done in ARS if you have a DNI, including us like myself on work visas?

Not to say I don't care about our friends the permatourists but if I'm funding the regime I want the discount that comes with it :p

So I'm curious - is the ticket agent then free to go and sell the dollars at the blue rate, or does the decree encompass forcing them to convert to pesos after the sale? It's interesting because because it begs the following questions:

If the agents are allowed to sell their dollars at the blue rate, what was gained really? More money in their pocket, but tourism discouraged, and the government didn't win any dollar reserves, so what is the point really? The height of wasteful and stupid interference.

On the other hand, what if they are planning to put this kind of control, such as for example, all dollar income must be converted to pesos? Only in these few tourist industries of course (yeah right, camel's nose under the tent) There is nothing like this currently right? It would be a bit of a shock, but not a surprise if that makes any sense.

Back