Francisco Time Mag. Person Of The Year..

I think the Argentine Constitution REQUIRES a president to be Catholic Tex, I'm not sure how many other countries do that anymore.

Not since 1994, the last time when the Argentine constitution was reformed.

The state still supports the Catholic church, according to the constitution. However, anyone of any faith can become president.

I think the Argentine Constitution REQUIRES a president to be Catholic Tex, I'm not sure how many other countries do that anymore.

When congressmen were sworn in Congress here last week, they must repeat ... you swear , bla bla bla ,,, by the Nation, the Constitution and the holy Gospels . With a hand over the Bible....??? most say I do.... Jews say I swear by the Constitution.....!! They should have handy copies of the Bible, a Torah and a Coran...!! :wub:

The true person of the year? http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/12/record-for-worst-congress-of-all-time-so-close-boehner-can-taste-it.html?utm_source=tny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=borowitz&mbid=nl_Borowitz%20(11)

Cristina has stated publicly that she does not believe in God. No one really cares. In fact, no one cares if the president cheats on his wife/husband, is a terrible parent/spouse, or that they might have gotten rich through explicit means. I consider this to be an oxymoron. If you can't be honest with your spouse and family, or be honest in your work or business, why think that someone would be honest in the dirty world of politics?

Cristina has stated publicly that she does not believe in God. No one really cares. In fact, no one cares if the president cheats on his wife/husband, is a terrible parent/spouse, or that they might have gotten rich through explicit means. I consider this to be an oxymoron. If you can't be honest with your spouse and family, or be honest in your work or business, why think that someone would be honest in the dirty world of politics?

I agree for the most part, what I meant was that there was a requirement to be nominally catholic. However I was wrong and that was removed from the constitution apparently. I had just read something about it and I thought it still applied.

A lot of people are "catholic" or "jewish" and don't really care about religion. Some other people who claim to be religious still cheat on their spouses and behave like idiots, so it's pretty hopeless anyway.

As far as presidents goes there have been so many cases, from Kennedy to Clinton and even Nestor (I was told) may have had something going on the side.

I am wondering which country rates as the most fanatically catholic in the world? :) lol Based on my own travels and experiences I would have to say Argentina is in the top three - with Ireland and Italy - just not sure which one is the worst :) lol

This just isn't true. It's really a mostly secular country. People are practicing birth control, living with each before (if ever) they get married, getting divorced (prohibited by the Church unless there is an annulment which is hard to get), etc. Sure you see rosaries slung over taxi driver's mirrors and Our Lady of Lujan in every station but they are more talismans than anything else.

Menem was/is a Muslim I believe.

The Constitution does NOT require that the President be a Catholic. It did at the time that Carlos Menem ran for office the first time. For that reason he converted from Islam to Catholicism. After he was in office he got the constitution changed to rescind this requirement. The constitution does recognize the Catholic faith as a kind of official religion, though, stating that the state "sustains" the Catholic faith.

Back