Furniture store recommendations

toccatango said:
Haha, I would double the ´eww´ on some of things that I saw there too! I would say that it's still a fun experience, and you never know what you'll find! Come with a sharp eye & be ready to bargain.

I ended up buying a table and then a set of chairs, spending 450 pesos total -- which I didn´t think was too bad but it´s definitely different from a bathtub!!

No. you're right. It's fun. Some of the bathtubs & old sinks are gorgeous. Sadly I don't need one at this time. LOL.

mini said:
I totally agree with you on the above. It's mostly over priced junk. I'd certainly never buy anything upholstered there.... ew.

There is a nice shop on S.Ortiz, around the 700s. I can't remember the name. They make & sell only couches & chairs. So not a "furniture store". But it has what you are looking for. They have some good sales (or they did last year) and floor models for sale. If you are walking down the numbers, it's on the left side of the street.

Definitely check Scalabrini Ortiz, between Córdoba and Corrientes. There are a bunch of furniture Outlets and regular shops! You´ll have to ask about prices because they vary.

The trick to finding deals at the pulgas is to go often, and to know what you are looking at.

My wife and I have found some incredible deals there- she recently bought a Saarinen side table there for about $150 US that goes for about ten times that on Ebay in the USA, and triple or quadruple that at furniture stores in Buenos Aires. A new reissue of the same table at Design within Reach is $1200 US. Ours is original, and worth more.
But she had to be quick- it wouldnt have been there the next day.
If you get to know the dealers there, you get better prices.

I wouldnt buy upholstered furniture there, though, unless I was willing to have it completely reupholstered. Upholstered furniture, in general, used, is kinda an iffy proposition- who knows what people, or animals, did on that upholstery before you bought it?

We did buy a cast iron claw foot bathtub at the Pulgas, but for about a quarter of the price mentioned above. Of course it didnt have griferia- but griferia is one of those things you want new, not 80 years old. 80 year old rubber washers leak every time.
You cant buy a new claw foot free standing bathtub in BsAs- if you go to the big plumbing supply places, they have $4000 peso bathtubs, and they are all meant to be built in to the wall and tiled. If you want a claw foot, the pulgas is the best place to look.

I would also agree that Scalabrini Ortiz would be a good place to look for custom upholstery- there are several places there south of Cordoba that build to order, and, if you want cloth rather than leather, it should be in your price range.

Ries said:
My wife and I have found some incredible deals there- she recently bought a Saarinen side table there for about $150 US that goes for about ten times that on Ebay in the USA, and triple or quadruple that at furniture stores in Buenos Aires.

If you want more, go on back now. There were two there last week. One had a chipped though.

You have to get there early before they start stripping & painting the furniture. Make me think of the poor mutant toys from the first Toy Story movie. LOL.

Just got back from a day trip to Avenida Belgrano near Entre Rios which is lined with furniture stores. Ended up buying two couches yesterday at great prices. I had checked out Avenida Cabildo too, but found better quality along Avenida Belgrano.

Try Corrientes, from Abasto right up to Villa Crespo. There are literally hundreds of furniture shops on the right hand side going up. These places are priced for locals, all offer cuotas and fletes.

You are off the tourist trail here, so it is very rare that anyone will try to rip you off. Turn off and you can find many interesting places around Almagro; Medrano and Salguero are good for hand made wooden furniture, Gascon is good for lighting and has a very good wood yard.

I've gone out shopping with my girlfriend's mother, and learned a few things about haggling here too.

First, get the price.
Next, ask how much it is for cash. "¿Cuanta cuesta en cash, cash?" is the phrase she uses.
Then, after you get the best price there, ask how much it is without a receipt ("sin factura")

In most places that are run by the owners and not larger chains, this will get you anywhere from 5% to 20% off the asking price.

Back