Gas man in Buenos aires

Fettucini

Registered
Hi can anyone recommend a gasista en buenos aires? Metrogas came to cut off my gas the other day as they said there was a leak. I've since had a couple of gasistas around to give presupuestos, but feel they are really trying to rip me off being a foreigner which is getting really annoying...!

If I can find it, I will send you the contact of the old guy who works in my building. He checks for leaks with a lighter. I believe that technique is call The Widow Maker.

Just be forewarned even if you have a gasista Metrogas might not reconnect your gas. Many old buildings are not up to code and there was an explosion in a building in Recoleta last year and since then Metrogas is really more cautious.... I know several buildings including my mother-in-law's where Metrogas shut off the gas to the building until all the gas lines are changed out. It's a major pain.

My mother in law hasn't had hot water or gas for the stove now for over a month. One building where a friend lived last year was without gas for 4 months believe it or not.

So it may be worth it to see if the problem is isolated to your apartment or it's a building wide thing....

Yeah i think gasistas must be making a lot of money recently as metrogas has been to work in the whole neighbourhood. They shut off your gas if there is any leak, but when they come back they do a full inspection of the gas installations of the house, so a lot of things need to be changed to meet modern requirements.. think i've found someone now but turns out there's a lot of things that need doing to get metrogas to switch it back on.
Just to get the signature alone from the gasista for "habilitacion" i've been quoted between 400-600 pesos from 3 different gasistas.

Fettucini said:
Yeah i think gasistas must be making a lot of money recently as metrogas has been to work in the whole neighbourhood. They shut off your gas if there is any leak, but when they come back they do a full inspection of the gas installations of the house, so a lot of things need to be changed to meet modern requirements.. think i've found someone now but turns out there's a lot of things that need doing to get metrogas to switch it back on.
Just to get the signature alone from the gasista for "habilitacion" i've been quoted between 400-600 pesos from 3 different gasistas.
Yes, it is a royal pain. When Metrogas shuts down the gas for leaks, the only way to go is with a gasista " matriculado " ( not all gasistas are matriculados, that is approved and certified my Metrogas ) if you do not work with a matriculado, they will not give you the service back I am afraid. On a brighter note, you are not being ripped off as an Expat, those matriculados are damn expensive for everybody, have friends that were with no gas for two months :p

Fettucini said:

You're not getting gouged.... as the other poster commented these certified gasistas aren't that cheap. Those prices seem in line with what I've seen. I've seen some much higher than that just depending on the situation.

The problem is all these utility companies are very unorganized so it takes forever to get things fixed. Then you have the problem of even if Metrogas is ready most building administrations are completely broke so they might not have the money to fix the problem. And locals are super cheap so some might opt to not take a hot shower for months on end then to pay a few thousand pesos to get the gas fixed. It can be a jungle here.

Back