Get Insurance!!!!

Alilou

Registered
I thought this might be helpful to post for newcomers....

When I first moved to Bs As, I didn't bother with insurance... mostly because I thought I couldn't afford it as I am used to US rates. I was also intimidated by the process and I thought that I had the public system as a back up... just in case something happened. And of course, something happened. I was in an accident and ended up with multiple broken bones and in need of surgery. I was taken first to a public hospital first, where the care was great but the wait times were brutal (not to the mention the complete and total lack of pain killers). After being told I'd have to wait a month for surgery, a friend took me to a renowned private hospital. I was interned for a week and had surgery. It cost about $4000 US... a surprisingly low price but it completely wiped out my savings. And even after this happened, I didn't get insurance. Because I thought they'd turn me down because of my recent surgery (in the US they won't cover you for 2 years after surgery... ). Over a year later, my fiance insisted that I get insurance. We called OSDE and arranged a time for them to come to our house and register my info. My recent surgery was no problem and within a week and a half, I had my card. It was so stupidly easy. The lowest plan (210) more than covers my needs and it costs a mere $277 ARG (I'm under 25... $420 for 35 & under). The next plan up, which includes Hospital Aleman and various other top notch hospitals, costs $368 ($546 for 35 & under). I am not trying to sell anyone OSDE in particular. Its great for me but there are a lot of other good options but I just want everyone to know that private insurance here is very affordable and that you might not want to rely on the public system entirely. After more than an hour of laying on a metal table in the hallway...I had my broken leg set in hospital without pain killers. My leg healed perfectly... yes. But I promise... its not something you want to try out for yourself. So learn from my experience... and get yourself an insurance plan!!!!

Here is a link in English for a form to submit to request an OSDE service rep (they call you). I have no idea if they actually speak English. In my case, I filled out the Spanish form and we spoke Spanish... I never asked if he spoke English.

http://www.osde.com.ar/osde_binario/nosocios_promotor.asp

And one last thing... they don't care if you are a resident or not... When I signed up for my plan, I only had a typical 90-day tourist visa and I used my US passport as my document number.

This is such a valuable post..especially for anyone who thinks that because you lived healthy in other cities the same will apply here. I am lucky to have insurance for all of my family through work and have used it more times in 1 year than I ever did in 8 years living in Ireland.
I am not pro insurance by any means but the system here covers your dentistry and laser eye treatment so even if you`re not sick per se you can get root canal for $100 pesos etc. I am OSDE registered but also hear great things from Swiss medical.- fyi OSDE are in serious fights with doctors in La Plata over charges and wont treat you if you are with OSDE.

I'm assuming the prices you gave are monthly, correct? Thanks for the post.

OSDE is excellent - the Cadillac of HMOs. For those wanting a lower-priced plan, the Hospital Italiano is about 30% cheaper because hospitalization is restricted to its own hospitals. But physicians are top-notch and the equipment is state of the art.

Daniel 25....Yes. The prices are monthly. Also, as fifs2 mentioned, they pay for laser eye surgery if your vision is worse than - 3.00 I will be eligible next year when I turn 25 if my vision does not change. (The requirements are over 25, vision worse than -3 and stable for at least a year, at least 1 year with OSDE). And thanks SaraSara for mentioning Hospital Italiano... it is the main hospital included in my plan but I also have a lots of different clinics included (including Sanatoria de La Trinidad for maternity, ... also... fyi... OSDE only covers pregnancies that start 2 months after enrollment). I choose OSDE because my fiance has OSDE through work... and I like the freedom of being able to pick and choose where I go. But if money is an issue, the Hospital Italiano plan sounds excellent to me.

I lost out on the eye surgery by only being 2.75... frustrating!

OSDE have been very good though, another thumbs up.

Back