Get USD in Santiago, Chile

laLuz

Registered
I'm going to Santiago, Chile, soon and I wanna try to get USD there with my ATM or Credit Card from a Swiss account. Anybody has done it before and can tell me which bank to go to? Don't feel like wasting to much time looking around so thanks for giving me a specific hint

(I know this might have been discussed at some point already but I don't feel like searching through the forum)

I did it at Scotiabank ATM, really easy. They give you the option for either Chilean pesos or USD. And with my Bank of America account I didn't get any fees because the following banks have a membership where you don't get charged: Scotiabank (Canada and South America), Bank of America, BNP Paribas (France), Deutschbank (Germany), Barclays (England), and Westpac (NZ and Australia)

lucha54 said:
I did it at Scotiabank ATM, really easy. They give you the option for either Chilean pesos or USD. And with my Bank of America account I didn't get any fees because the following banks have a membership where you don't get charged: Scotiabank (Canada and South America), Bank of America, BNP Paribas (France), Deutschbank (Germany), Barclays (England), and Westpac (NZ and Australia)

Great news...! Question how much $$ per extraction...?
Thanks

Thanks lucha54. I'm also interested in the limit per transaction.

Anybody else has experience in getting USD straight at the counter of a bank, through credit card?

I don't know, as there wasn't a fee, and I didn't feel the urgency when I went in March (before they made USD access illegal here!) I think I did two withdrawals of $300 in a day. My limit back in the states is $700/day unless I call (I also just found a way to increase the limit to $1500/day on my Online login, without having to speak to anyone!) so my USA limit would have been my maximum at any ATM no matter the currency. Note that there is no fee by neither my bank nor by Scotiabank (the partner bank in this case) and I got just the official exchange rate and no extra fees from anything. If you appreciate my advice please click the 'THANKS' button so it goes into my stats. THANKS!

I've withdrawn US dollars before as well there. I've never been able to take out more than $400 US at a time but as mentioned before, it just depends what your daily withdrawal limit back home is.

For example, mine is about $2,000 per day and I could withdraw multiple times at the same machine.

I've done it at a few including HSBC's ATMs. I think I used Scotiabank as well as lucha54 mentioned they are a partner with Bank of America so they waive the ATM withdrawal fee.

Back