Get your SUBE Card Now, or Pay More for Transport

Napoleon said:
The "coin problem" disappeared about 6 months ago.

Banks give you rolls of 20 pesos without batting an eye.

Chinos, Farmacity's, & McDonald's will give you AR$3.50 in coins or more just because it's easier for them.

I haven't heard anyone struggling for coins in over half a year. Maybe nearly a year now.

The coin problem disappeared well over a year ago. In December of 2011 we could go to any Banco de la Nacion and get 100 pesos in coins if you wanted to.

PhilipDT said:
So I don't have a CDI, DNI or Argentine passport, can I get one of these Sube cards?

I can recall at least one person posting here saying that they got a Sube card with a foreign passport, though I would assume that this would eventually disqualify you from the subsidised price.

pauper said:
I can recall at least one person posting here saying that they got a Sube card with a foreign passport, though I would assume that this would eventually disqualify you from the subsidised price.

I did get mine with a passport (foreign) when I arrived. It was a simple form with name, address, DOB etc. In fact, when I went back to drop off the form I didnt even have my passport with me!

Interesting to see if passport holders (non DNI) will get the subsidy. I would have thought it difficult for them to segregate/subsidise based on your personal information from a DNI number / passport number, no? And even more difficult to segregate from within DNI holders, how would they do that?

I would have thought it difficult for them to segregate/subsidise based on your personal information from a DNI number / passport number, no? And even more difficult to segregate from within DNI holders, how would they do that?

When they do it, they can use some ideas: if you are traveling from Merlo at 6 AM every day to work in the city, you are not rich. If you are traveling in the D line from Bulnes station (Alto Palermo) on a Monday 9:30 AM, maybe you are not poor. We will see.

pauper said:

I got the SUBE with my passport. The guy didn't even want to look at it; he just wanted the number.

The SUBE system was primarly created for the Argentine government to control the subsidies. There are millions of pesos stolen every year by the private transportation companies.

However, the government also plans to allow for special fares for particular users. From Pagina12:

The government is also evaluating fare discounts for users who receive the Universal Child Credit, or who are students or retirees, for example. This would be possible because the cards are personal and the information can be crosschecked with the National Social Security Administration, the AFIP, and other government organizations.

pauper said:

I got the SUBE with my passport. The guy didn't even want to look at it; he just wanted the number.

The SUBE system was primarly created for the Argentine government to control the subsidies. There are millions of pesos stolen every year by the private transportation companies.

However, the government also plans to allow for special fares for particular users. From a newspaper:

The government is also evaluating fare discounts for users who receive the Universal Child Credit, or who are students or retirees, for example. This would be possible because the cards are personal and the information can be crosschecked with the National Social Security Administration, the AFIP, and other government organizations.

Dni number, personal income, number of public transport trips

If your Total public transport expenses go above à certain %, Lets say 5% you get help

Got my sube without dni and without waiting

They say bus price without Sube Will be 2,50

A couple of Argentine friends have expressed disquiet about the amount of personal information being gathered in one place for the issue and administration of the SUBE card but to my mind it is no more intrusive than -say- the Oyster card in London. Any thoughts?

They can easily cross reference your dni with your cuill cuit.
I think its going to be a wonderfull tool to bribe citizens directly in the next voting season , or punish them .
Names can be cross refrenced to political parties , althought they cannot read your vote (well...) they Can find out where your plitical afilliatios lie . I posted my concerns eairlier in the thread.
Not big on big brother conspiracies , but this is rather worrying , considering how "clever" politicos are

Back