Getting A Us Turist Visa For The Girlfriend

Wow, could more drama be created in this thing thing. Reason for Tourist Visa.... "attend wedding in the USA." Produce an invitation and wait for the Tourist Visa. Got the poor girl worked up into thinking something sinister is going on and the interviewer will see right through it in a heartbeat. These people, interviewers, have an exceptional ability to see through BS. Do not make any false statements on visa application and everything will be fine. Repeat, do not make any false statements on visa application.
Good luck

This x 10000.

Since the OP hasn't even proposed, his for-the-moment GF will be able to say truthfully that she's not engaged. There's no reason for her to even be nervous, she's not doing anything wrong by getting a tourist visa for tourism. This is not Guatemala or even Mexico, as someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of tourism visa fraud originating from Buenos Aires and the embassy approves the overwhelming majority of applications ( according to a friend who worked in the embassy it was at least 19/20).

If I were the OP I would go to the embassy with my girlfriend but I wouldn't coach her at all on what to say.

The extremely frustrating thing about US immigration policy is that they are not allowed to use their heads. Surprise, surprise.PC and all - you can't deny one person for a feeling without denying them all because then you'd actually have to deal with lawsuits for those who didn't get in after seeing that others in a similar situation can - which then means no one can in anything even remotely resembling said situation.

I despise the immigration policy of the US...

I detest US immigration policy, too, but there is no way a foreign national could sue the State Department for failure to grant a visa.

I still discourage to go with her.
As a US citizen, you can't be denied to enter to the US embassy, but "moral support" is not a valid reason to enter it.

They speak Spanish and they speak English, so she will be able to deal with them alone.
The first question they will ask her, is how she got to know your friend who is getting married. A good reply could be that he/she was her roommate in buenos aires.
If she says "through my US boyfriend", I doubt that the word marriage+boyfriend won't ring any bell.

As for ElQueso: as odd ass it may sound, it looks like the only way your wife can join you in a trip to your folks back home is to apply for a GreenCard trough marriage. It takes time (usually less than a year, if you are lucky just 6 months) and it takes money (application fee for I-130 should be around $400-500) but it is a safer way to get her a way to come with you other than the tourism visa (which she won't ever get, at this point).

If course being a US permanent resident comes with duties (I.e. Double taxation, potential extra screening at the airport whenever she tries to enter the country) and she should show the intention to live and reside in the USA, as well as complying with the physical presence requirement (which she won't, since you live here).

Anyway the questioning if a GreenCard holder at the point of entrance depends really on the immigration official you get.
If she is revoked the GreenCard, you can apply again at a later time with the money and waiting again. From my understanding you are just trying to let her visit your parents once, so if if she loses her green card, who care?

I detest US immigration policy, too, but there is no way a foreign national could sue the State Department for failure to grant a visa.

I didn't mean the immigrant would sue the State Department, but seems to me someone (US citizen or organization) could sue the process, the people, under some sort of discrimination law if every person was not treated exactly the same. If not lawsuits, a "federal case" of some sort through Congress or what-have-you. I was kind of referencing the whole "Zero Tolerance" kind of thing with a splash of hyperbole, where people are not allowed to make individual decisions any more for fear that it will fall outside accepted norms and be open for attack.

As I understand it, the policy for this sort of blanket immigration policy came into effect sometime around the Immigration Reform and Control act of 1986 when the Republicans compromised with the Democrats and legalized a number of illegal aliens then in the country, and the policy as a sort of stiffener to keep foreign nationals from entering and not leaving afterward (told to me by an official at the embassy).

Of course, the policy leaves very little discretion to the reviewing officer, unless that officer is a supervisor, I'm told.

As far as getting a spouse visa to get my wife to the States, we've been considering it. The problem is, it's a lot of effort, a lot of money. I remember seeing some estimates on the web of more like $2000 or so, given all the different fees that end in a successful applicant getting granted a residency. We will do that one day, there's no doubt, but with the time and money involved, and a whole family down here, it's something that we don't have time for at the moment.

And I have a friend whose wife is Argentina, they married here, and they went through the residency process with her in the States afterward, successfully. They actually live here and vacation there about 6 months out of the year. For two years they just barely made it in the 180 days and they were a day or two short this year. My buddy was told a couple of months ago when they went back for a visit that he couldn't treat the residency as a vacation visa and on one or two more entrances they may get into a situation where an officer files a petition with a court to get her residency revoked.

We are going to go live in the US one day, but I don't want to screw that up for the future. I've got kids here to help raise and take care of for the moment.

I'll have to satisfy things for the moment by visiting my folks myself. All of this happened last year, our last visa attempt and the news of my father's cancer, and since then my father is showing good signs and has a good prognosis. Still worried about my mother, but she's relatively healthy other than the circulation problems. There's time (yeah, I know, famous last words).

I had a long talk with a guy at the embassy the last visa attempt. She went twice before without me and I decided this time to see if there was anything I could do. Never been through the process, had to see. I refused to leave (very politely, didn't cause any kind of a scene) until I spoke with someone regarding at least the policy behind things so I could have some sort of idea why my government sucked so bad. It is, after all, my government and my embassy, someone can damn well tell me a little more about what was going on. One of the guys behind the window for notary, passport replacement and other stuff (i.e., not the visa interview windows) was working on something - the window was actually closed, but he was on the phone so I waited until he got off. He told me he was working on getting some information for some high-up and when he finished he'd talk to me. Actually surprised the hell out of me, and even more when, after waiting about 20 minutes, he came back to the window and motioned for me to come talk to him. I explained my situation and he gave me a few ideas of what the deal was, including the one about my wife being an immigrant to Argentina and that being a big strike against her. He said the marriage was a problem - but could be resolved as long as she could qualify on her own as well. The letters and other data that didn't include property and family in the country (etc) wouldn't help unless she could talk to a supervisor and supervisors won't talk to an immigrant normally, unless they're already at the window.

We've thought about going through the citizenship process with her here in Argentina, which would make her no longer an immigrant. Shouldn't be a difficult thing - she's been a legal, productive resident for quite awhile. May take a bit of time but should be relatively easy. Of course, she's a bit proud (exaggeration) and due to the way she's been treated here by many Argentinos, has mostly refused this idea. We've thought about going to Paraguay where she has some family property in her name and trying the visa process there. We've thought about going for one more visa trip here after she turns 30 (end of this year) and if she gets turned down, reapplying again within 90 days - as the one gem we got about procedure from the guy in the embassy was that a reapply within 90 days is required to be handled by a supervisor and we can state our case and have some hope of a sympathetic ear from someone who can make a decision.

Those were the suggestions of the guy I talked to, in case anyone else would like to know about that as well.

The US immigration policy is as dumb, or dumber, than the War on Drugs.

I didn't mean the immigrant would sue the State Department, but seems to me someone (US citizen or organization) could sue the process, the people, under some sort of discrimination law if every person was not treated exactly the same. If not lawsuits, a "federal case" of some sort through Congress or what-have-you. I was kind of referencing the whole "Zero Tolerance" kind of thing with a splash of hyperbole, where people are not allowed to make individual decisions any more for fear that it will fall outside accepted norms and be open for attack.

As I understand it, the policy for this sort of blanket immigration policy came into effect sometime around the Immigration Reform and Control act of 1986 when the Republicans compromised with the Democrats and legalized a number of illegal aliens then in the country, and the policy as a sort of stiffener to keep foreign nationals from entering and not leaving afterward (told to me by an official at the embassy).

Of course, the policy leaves very little discretion to the reviewing officer, unless that officer is a supervisor, I'm told.

As far as getting a spouse visa to get my wife to the States, we've been considering it. The problem is, it's a lot of effort, a lot of money. I remember seeing some estimates on the web of more like $2000 or so, given all the different fees that end in a successful applicant getting granted a residency. We will do that one day, there's no doubt, but with the time and money involved, and a whole family down here, it's something that we don't have time for at the moment.

And I have a friend whose wife is Argentina, they married here, and they went through the residency process with her in the States afterward, successfully. They actually live here and vacation there about 6 months out of the year. For two years they just barely made it in the 180 days and they were a day or two short this year. My buddy was told a couple of months ago when they went back for a visit that he couldn't treat the residency as a vacation visa and on one or two more entrances they may get into a situation where an officer files a petition with a court to get her residency revoked.

We are going to go live in the US one day, but I don't want to screw that up for the future. I've got kids here to help raise and take care of for the moment.

I'll have to satisfy things for the moment by visiting my folks myself. All of this happened last year, our last visa attempt and the news of my father's cancer, and since then my father is showing good signs and has a good prognosis. Still worried about my mother, but she's relatively healthy other than the circulation problems. There's time (yeah, I know, famous last words).

I had a long talk with a guy at the embassy the last visa attempt. She went twice before without me and I decided this time to see if there was anything I could do. Never been through the process, had to see. I refused to leave (very politely, didn't cause any kind of a scene) until I spoke with someone regarding at least the policy behind things so I could have some sort of idea why my government sucked so bad. It is, after all, my government and my embassy, someone can damn well tell me a little more about what was going on. One of the guys behind the window for notary, passport replacement and other stuff (i.e., not the visa interview windows) was working on something - the window was actually closed, but he was on the phone so I waited until he got off. He told me he was working on getting some information for some high-up and when he finished he'd talk to me. Actually surprised the hell out of me, and even more when, after waiting about 20 minutes, he came back to the window and motioned for me to come talk to him. I explained my situation and he gave me a few ideas of what the deal was, including the one about my wife being an immigrant to Argentina and that being a big strike against her. He said the marriage was a problem - but could be resolved as long as she could qualify on her own as well. The letters and other data that didn't include property and family in the country (etc) wouldn't help unless she could talk to a supervisor and supervisors won't talk to an immigrant normally, unless they're already at the window.

We've thought about going through the citizenship process with her here in Argentina, which would make her no longer an immigrant. Shouldn't be a difficult thing - she's been a legal, productive resident for quite awhile. May take a bit of time but should be relatively easy. Of course, she's a bit proud (exaggeration) and due to the way she's been treated here by many Argentinos, has mostly refused this idea. We've thought about going to Paraguay where she has some family property in her name and trying the visa process there. We've thought about going for one more visa trip here after she turns 30 (end of this year) and if she gets turned down, reapplying again within 90 days - as the one gem we got about procedure from the guy in the embassy was that a reapply within 90 days is required to be handled by a supervisor and we can state our case and have some hope of a sympathetic ear from someone who can make a decision.

Those were the suggestions of the guy I talked to, in case anyone else would like to know about that as well.

The US immigration policy is as dumb, or dumber, than the War on Drugs.

As long as there are xenophobic Republican obstructionists (a redundancy, I'll acknowledge), nothing is likely to change.

ElQueso, its true that you can't consider 6 months of vacation as living in the US. Usually one should take evidence of his intention to live and reside in the USA with him (I.e. Form 1040 to prove he filed tax returns in the US, bank account statements in the US, prof of property ownership in the US, utility bills in the US, etc)

For your friend, after 2 years of marriage to a US Citizen and a number of days spent in the US, your friend's wife should apply for citizenship. End of the story.

If only the USCIS would handle visa requests in a faster and less 'strict' way, one should not think about going down some routes. Not many people can afford a 6 months "vacation" in the US per year.

Talking about a country founded and made by immigrants...

Everyone has different experiences. When my husband got his tourist visa in 2009 he was my then boyfriend/fiance and had no issues being granted a visa. On his application he even said the reason for the visit was to meet my parents along with the usual tourist visit. The interviewer asked him a bunch of questions about me and my family... and approved his application. The only thing he said is that we would need to get a different visa once we got married - but I think he meant if we wanted to move to the US because my husband has been to the US twice since then without issue. I think the fact that he visited the US back in 2000 before visas were required helped a lot, too.

My advice... BE HONEST. The people in the embassy aren't dumb. They do this for a living and know what's up most of the time. Bring proof of your ties to Argentina, in my husband's case they didn't even ask to see any of his documentation, but chances are they will. Proof of work, school, housing, car, etc... even family ties. Just tell the truth. They're definitely going to ask who's wedding it is and how she knows these people. If she's shaky in her answers, it's going to look worse than simply stating the truth.

My other piece of advice is to dress appropriately and act confident and casual. Basically it's up to the agent - if he thinks you're likely to come back, your application will be approved.

I did exactly what the OP wants to do two months ago.

I wanted to take my argentine GF to the states to meet my parents. She had no passport and is a 21 year student with no real job or property. She got her passport really quickly (i was surprised argentine can be efficient with somethings). Then went online and started the visa work, got an interview in a week's time, and then visa came a week after the interview. Its a very short and straight forward process. After the passport its about two weeks total.

She told them:
why she was going,
who she was going with (her bf)
who was paying for the trip (her bf)
She brought she student documents that said she was in school. That was it.

No drama, no craziness.

I think because the online questions are pretty demanding people think the process is terrifying, but if you're clear about what your intentions are, its faster and easier than getting a cable guy from telecenter to come look at cable box.

I did exactly what the OP wants to do two months ago.

I wanted to take my argentine GF to the states to meet my parents. She had no passport and is a 21 year student with no real job or property. She got her passport really quickly (i was surprised argentine can be efficient with somethings). Then went online and started the visa work, got an interview in a week's time, and then visa came a week after the interview. Its a very short and straight forward process. After the passport its about two weeks total.

She told them:
why she was going,
who she was going with (her bf)
who was paying for the trip (her bf)
She brought she student documents that said she was in school. That was it.

No drama, no craziness.

I think because the online questions are pretty demanding people think the process is terrifying, but if you're clear about what your intentions are, its faster and easier than getting a cable guy from telecenter to come look at cable box.

This makes me feel a lot better knowing that it happened easily for you. I plan to marry this girl so everything is light, it shouldn't be an issue. But for right now we are just dating and the trip is a great excuse for her to meet my family and see if she really will be happy in the states. So if she just states that I will be paying everything that should suffice for that part, should it supply a bank stub or something .

This makes me feel a lot better knowing that it happened easily for you. I plan to marry this girl so everything is light, it shouldn't be an issue. But for right now we are just dating and the trip is a great excuse for her to meet my family and see if she really will be happy in the states. So if she just states that I will be paying everything that should suffice for that part, should it supply a bank stub or something .

I gave my girlfriend my US tax return as proof that I can afford to pay for the trip, but she said that they didn't ask for proof. The only thing they looked at was her school papers.

Like Crema Americana said, just show them the wedding invitation and tell them what the plans are and it should be fine.

Back