Turista Visa 1 Day - SeaCat

talktalk

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I`m from the States and have been doing the overnight to Colonia every 90 days for about two years now and I`m sick of the overnight stay. The one time I did a one day back and forth I seemed to get longer scrutiny when crossing back and when leaving the country for a visit to the States. Maybe it was just me?

Is there anyone here from the States doing the run in one day with no problems ? Also, anyone have experience with SeaCat?...it seems like a cheaper option.

Thanks!

We did a one day run once. It wasn't really an issue for us. But on the way back, they did ask me what I was doing in Argentina. I was getting married a week later so they did not have any issues with it. They did seem to pay more attention.

Seacat is perfectly fine, there is really nothing different than Colonia Express. The only problem I had with the trip was the return trip was soooo rocky that I was seasick for a few days. The afternoon crossings are not nearly as calm as the trips in the morning.

I've only been to Colonia once, but when I went, it was only for 1 day. No problems with immigration upon re-entry... with a delayed departure and long Sunday-evening lines, seemed like they just wanted to move everyone along as fast as possible.

I've been to Colonia twice, each time it was just a day trip... left in the morning and came back in the evening. The first time I was pretty nervous about them denying re-entry, but everything went smoothly. :) They do hunt around for your entry stamp, so if it's not up to date, you may have to pay a fine... I'm not sure. Whether it's a one night stay or just a few hours, I don't think it makes any difference.

And yes, take some motion sickness meds with you if you are prone to seasicknesses... especially if you're traveling on the slow 3 hour boat. My last trip was awful!! I didn't know ferries could rock so much.

If you're going to bother with the visa runs (it's anybody's guess and an individual's luck as to whether you encounter problems crossing, wherever you cross), Uruguay is a cool country with lots of fun and interesting places to check out. I suggest taking a long weekend and going somewhere other than Colonia.

I just got what I believe was my my 11th turista 90 dias stamp today at Ezeiza. I really think it is just random. Today I got no looks, no questions, no pause as my passport was examined. Just a smile and a stamp, super fast. My experiences in Uruguay and at Ezeiza have varied, but I always get the stamp. (I also do the overnight stay in Uruguay out of paranoia.) I don't know if it helps that several of my trips have been to the U.S. and one to Brazil, rather than doing Colonia over and over. Who knows. An English friend went to migraciones after less than a year in BA and got the ultima prorroga stamp. She was with two American friends who had been here the same length of time, and they were fine. So definitely never go to migraciones. Other than that, I have never heard of any tricks that work for sure. One friend swears by leaving for Uruguay via Tigre, and says that they're much more chill there. But really, I think it's pure, dumb luck.

Pretty much anyone I know does a one day trip

Overstaying your visa and paying the fine or legalizing later is even better option

Thanks to everyone for the input. I`m very tempted this time around to do it in a day or as MizzMar suggested, perhaps a longer stay in Montevideo would actually be enjoyable for a longer stay.

As for the SeaCat suggestions, thanks for the heads up. I had a rocky ride on Buquebus once also but from the posts here it seems like something more common on the SC ferries. SeaCat sounds like the way to go considering the cost.

Thanks again everyone!

Don said:
I also always try to vary up my visa runs and try my best to maximize them into mini vacations, don't we all need a break from the city?

I have been here for 2 years and only seen Colonia twice, both times with visitors from back home so I didn't even get a second glance from customs. I plan myself carefully for the whole year, planning my vacation days and trips to the States accordingly to when I need stamps. I've gotten them in Carmelo, Colonia and Montevideo, Iguazu, the North of Brazil one time, Chile once, and a trip home. My next stamp will be from my next trip back home, then in March when I need another I'm looking at Punta or Sao Paolo for a long weekend!

I think this might be an appropriate thread to ask why anyone continues to make the "visa run" to get a new tourist visa.

Why does anyone think this is necessary, given the fact that when you leave the country, you instantly forfeit any rights you have to stay?

Back