Getting Married in Argentina....

loribuenosaires

Registered
Hello Everybody! I am new here but not to Bs As. I have been living here nearly 10 years. I am going to go the civil court to register to marry an Argentine. Does anybody have any helpful info or experiences they can possibly share with me? Thank you. BTW, I am divorced. I have my birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate and they have all been translated by a licensed Argentine translator, apostilled etc. Thank you!

My sister married an Argentinian a few years ago. They got married in a civil court ceremony which took about fifteen minutes and only seated about 30 people. But they had two large receptions in rented facilities downtown the following two days. I don't know the technicalities of getting registered but if you want her email you can send me a note through the forum.

One thing I wanted to know about is the issue that you have to get married at the civil court closest to the place of residence. My fiance never changed his residence legally since he moved to Bs As from another city 9 years ago. I read on the civil court site that one has to be at their legal residence for 2 years to get married. This will be a big problem if it's so since he has to change it this week. We don't want to go all the way to another province to do this. Another question is the matter of me getting my permanent visa here so I can legally live, work, have a bank, cell phone etc. I have to apply for my records from the FBI. Has anybody done this from here? Basically any info on getting married or getting ones Argentine Visa who is from the states would be helpful. Thanks!

"SFGirl" said:
One thing I wanted to know about is the issue that you have to get married at the civil court closest to the place of residence. My fiance never changed his residence legally since he moved to Bs As from another city 9 years ago. I read on the civil court site that one has to be at their legal residence for 2 years to get married. This will be a big problem if it's so since he has to change it this week. We don't want to go all the way to another province to do this. Another question is the matter of me getting my permanent visa here so I can legally live, work, have a bank, cell phone etc. I have to apply for my records from the FBI. Has anybody done this from here? Basically any info on getting married or getting ones Argentine Visa who is from the states would be helpful. Thanks!
My husband is american, so we went through that. Your fiancee has a domicile in the city of bs as on his dni?, if so, then you have to go to the civil register that is assigned for it, if he has a domicile in another province, I suggest you change it for his domicile in the city (you can do this at the civil register before booking your marriage date, I think he has to go with some bills that arrive to his domicile under his name, ask that one first)

The 2 year thing... I don't think so, people move a lot, I got married twice and was never asked for any of that. What you might need is a public translator/interpreter if the judge that is going to get you married considers that your spanish is not fluent (to make sure you understand what you are doing) apart from that the civil register is easy. Ask me any questions.

If you are going to apply for permanent residency, make sure your visa is still valid - to avoid any hassle - if not, your marriage certificate is enough proof that you are here legally. You don't need any FBI records,it is the state police records from the last 5 years, if you lived in diff states, you will need info from themall, my husband's mother got his on his behalf and sent them here apostilled.
V

You said you have been living here for 10 years. Are you STILL on a tourist visa???

Yes, I have been living here for 10 years on a tourist visa. I usually leave the country every 3 months, get an extension or just pay the fine next time I am at the airport. My X ended up being a very bad person. This is the reason I have been here so long without a visa, permanent residence, or any rights whatsoever. Not able to work, get a bank account, go to school or anything. This is unfortunate as I lost everything and had no legal rights to any of it.

My visa and passport are up to date. We found out that he can change his address at the local police and it won't be a problem that this address is not for 10 years.

The first time I researched this I found out I had to send my fingerprints to the FBI and they would send me my good citizen records.

We are going to the civil court before making the appointment for the civil marriage just to have them check all my papers to make sure they are correct before registering.

"SFGirl" said:
Yes, I have been living here for 10 years on a tourist visa. I usually leave the country every 3 months, get an extension or just pay the fine next time I am at the airport. My X ended up being a very bad person. This is the reason I have been here so long without a visa, permanent residence, or any rights whatsoever. Not able to work, get a bank account, go to school or anything. This is unfortunate as I lost everything and had no legal rights to any of it.

My visa and passport are up to date. We found out that he can change his address at the local police and it won't be a problem that this address is not for 10 years.

The first time I researched this I found out I had to send my fingerprints to the FBI and they would send me my good citizen records.

We are going to the civil court before making the appointment for the civil marriage just to have them check all my papers to make sure they are correct before registering.
SFGirl, sorry to hear about your situation in the past years, you really only need to have your passport with your visa current and get your fiancee to change his address ( that should take 20 mins the most) Do not worry about any other paper stuff until you are married and have your marriage certificate, after that you start with Migrations paperstuff. You could have opened a bank account even being on a tourist visa, you only needed a cdi form the AFIP. My husband got his criminal background check from the state police, so I really don´t knwo if there is any other method. Remember that you will be asked for a police background check for the past years you lived in Bs As, and you will need to get your passport translated by a public translator and then legalised at the ministery of foreign affairs. I estimate that after you get married until you get your permaent residency it will be about 6 months and then 2-3 months until you get your DNI. My hubby´s residency was taking so long, and everything was so messy at Migrations, that I complained by email and got the Director of Migrations calling me and following up on his case ( if things don´t go smooth, complain and you will be heared, remember that next years is elections year..... )V

Hola Nikad,
My fiance is going to the nearest police department to change his adress from his X home town to this one.

The thing is I am divorced, so I need birthcertificate, X marriage certificate and divorce certificate and I need them all apostiled and translated by a licensed translator which I have already done.
Is there a website for migrations where I can find the info on how to start the process of getting my permanent visa online?
I had no idea I could open a bank account. I went to the bank once and they told me no. They probably just had no idea how to do it. Thanks for this important info.
I tried getting my criminal record report through police but was sent to the FBI where I was told to send fingerprints and the US embassy provided me with fingerprint cards. I still have to do that but will wait until after the marriage. I did not know I had to get criminal records report from here, not sure if I can since I have been a tourist for nearly 10 years.
I did not know about getting my passport translated and legalized. Thanks for letting me know. Is there a website for this place?

Also, my passport expires in 5 months. Is this a problem? Should I contact the embassy about renewing it now and can I renew it this early?
I found some info on applying for my Argentine permanent visa on an Argentine embassy site in the US but it applies to persons who are living in the US, not persons who are already here. I'm pretty confused.
Thanks!

"SFGirl" said:
Also, my passport expires in 5 months. Is this a problem? Should I contact the embassy about renewing it now and can I renew it this early?
I found some info on applying for my Argentine permanent visa on an Argentine embassy site in the US but it applies to persons who are living in the US, not persons who are already here. I'm pretty confused.
Thanks!
SfFirl, here is a link with info for the kind of visa you are going to apply ( permanent residency ) http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/radicacion_e_mercosur.asp if you have any doubts, get your fiancee to call them. Make sure his dni is in perfect shape when you present all documentation ( they made me renew mine because it wasn´t in mint shape ). About your visa being current: just make sure it is current when you get married (after that it really doesn´t matter) To sart the residency process you must have all the documetation ready ( birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate, us police records, argentinian police records - got to central police dept with a stamped form Migrations will give u -, your hubby´s dni - everything translated,legalised, in original and copy ) with all this go to Migrations, early, present that, and they will give you an estimate date for your provisory residency, then they will give you a date for your perm residency, after this you can apply for your dni.
Here is the info on how to get your police records here: V

Back