Getting Married, Witnesses Needed!

caroline123456

Registered
Hello all,

My fiancée and I are from Ireland and have been in Buenos Aires for almost 2 weeks now. We are travelling around South & Central America for 7 months and decided to get married here in BA.

We are going to get our blood tests on Tuesday 25 Mar and we have received our wedding date, 31 Mar.

However we have not secured 2 witnesses yet.... Is there anyone out there that can help?

If so, Caroline and I must return to the registry office on Wednesday 26 Mar with our blood test results AND proof of our 2 witnesses (original & photocopy of DNI)

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, hope to hear from you soon :)

Caroline & Bronagh

I did it a bunch of times for expats ;) Whereabouts are you getting married? If it is not too far, I´m Argentine citizen.

Doesn't one of the two people getting married have to be an Argentine citizen or resident? Or has that changed?

I think that has changed. I pulled this up on the web although can't vouch for its veracity.
"In order to get married in Argentina, the civil marriage ceremony must be held at the Civil Registry Office of the province where at least one of the partners is domiciled. In principle, this requirement bars two foreign nationals without residency from getting married in Argentina. However, certain provinces (the city of Buenos Aires, and the provinces of Buenos Aires, Santa Fe, and Tierra del Fuego) now allow couples to marry without residency or citizenship after only 96 hours within their borders (arguing that a residency requirement for marriage is unconstitutional)."

When we got married last year at least 1 or 2 (I forget) of our witnesses had to have a DNI with a domicile in CABA. Just make sure on that..

Yes, both witnesses must have a DNI and also be residents of CABA (not even Gran Buenos Aires counts). The "optional" witnesses (you can have up to 4 and they charge an extra fee) can be either residents or tourists, but you must secure the 2 compulsory CABA residents first. Everyone must understand Spanish fluently or else come with an interpreter (I'm not sure if it needs to be a licensed / official one though).

Hey Caroline & Bronagh,

Wonderful that you're getting married - but why here? Civil registry wedding in Ireland will make things much simpler for you in the future.

eg. I'm treated as a single Irish person by the irish revenue, because it's too much hassle to convince them that I'm married (not that it would make any difference to me anyway - but it might to you)

Can't do the witness thing I'm afraid, I'll be out of the country - I'd offer if I was around though.

Edit: regarding the interpreter - you'll need one unless your spanish is very good. And they'll need to be a registered one (they have some kind of legal document that they need to present). At least that was the case for our wedding a few years back. I think theny can double as a witness though, which is handy.

Back