Getting support for my MacBook Pro?

jray said:
Go anywhere but to Ricardo as I was recommended from this page to go to him and my mac was not only never fixed but I was overcharged for diagnosis and data transfer. I got my mac fixed when I returned to USA and was told by the technician here that someone with limited mac knowledge had completely demolished the macbookpro which could have been salvaged by a professional repairperson. Look around and you may find better mac techs.
That has not been my experience. Ricardo has worked on my Macbook Pro and always has done a great job at a more than reasonable price.

mfleisc1 said:
Hey, everyone.

I'm a college student here until June on an exchange program. My MacBook Pro has started to have some problems, and I need to get it fixed, preferably by an Apple authorized technician. I've found on Apple's website that there are some authorized support shops throughout BsAs, and what I wanted to know is: does anyone here have any experience with this? That is to say, does anyone have suggestions about which shops to go to/what not to do/how much repairs typically cost/etc?

Thanks,
Michael

I have found by far that the best apple service center is Novotech located at Av. Libertador 15493 in San Isidro.

The motherboard on my MacBook Pro recently critically failed. I took it to the Apple store in Las Canitas who told me it wasn't covered on warranty and would cost me about 1500 USD to fix. I then took it to an Apple service center downtown who kept it a month, charged me 130 pesos and told me to buy a new motherboard....they also destroyed my battery somehow as it was all swollen up when I retrieved the laptop. Frankly, I don't think they did anything but somehow ruin the battery.

The thing is that 2008 MacBook Pros have a known motherboard/video card problem that apple will fix for free.

Suffice to say, I brought it to Novotech and within 10 days they had replaced the motherboard under warranty for free!

The moral here is that not all Apple service centers are equal....choose the right one or you might be out alot of $$$.

LostinBA said:
The motherboard on my MacBook Pro recently critically failed. I took it to the Apple store in Las Canitas who told me it wasn't covered on warranty and would cost me about 1500 USD to fix. I then took it to an Apple service center downtown who kept it a month, charged me 130 pesos and told me to buy a new motherboard....they also destroyed my battery somehow as it was all swollen up when I retrieved the laptop. Frankly, I don't think they did anything but somehow ruin the battery.

That's interesting. I took my macbook to the Apple store in May in Canitas. Service was not good which is a different story. However, when they called me to give me the quote, they told me the battery needed to be replaced. Which I found weird since it had been functioning fine when I dropped it off. I refused to pay for a new battery and told them to just leave it. When I brought it home, battery was screwed up and showed it had only 24% left and despite plugging it in, wouldn't take any charge. But I turned the laptop off and left it off for 24 hours, then plugged it in and charging for 24 hours and voila - fully charged battery and zero problems with it since.

Makes me wonder if they are trying to "encourage" people to buy new batteries by doing something to the battery.

I had a problem with my MacBook Pro. Apple could not solve the problem by telephone. I went to the One-click Store on Honduras (this was October 2011) in Palermo Soho. The tech guy there fixed the problem in five minutes. He told me he was supposed to charge me but would not. How much more could you ask for--competence and kindness?

Back