Gifts for kids

BAwithkids

Registered
We are heading back to the US in a few months, after almost a year here, and would like to get some little gifts to give to the kids in our daughters' classes (ages 4 and 7). We were thinking of little American flags (any chance that would rub someone the wrong way?), maybe some American candy (i.e. Reese's peanut butter cups)... Any other ideas - we have someone coming in April to visit who can bring things...

Also, we would like to take some things back from Argentina for our daughters' US friends. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!

Alfajores and dulce de leche are always popular gift choices for Americans.

I'd steer clear of any peanut butter candy for the kids; I have yet to meet an Argentine who has liked it (either describing it as "too strong" or being totally horrified by the idea of mixing PB with chocolate.) Maybe Twix or Kit-Kat or 3 Musketeers bars, or any of the super-fun candies or cookies from Trader Joe's.

How old are the kids? I've found coins make fun gifts, especially less common ones such as 50 cent pieces and sba dollars.

I wouldn't give out flags, but perhaps pencils with the stars and stripes, or even just some school supplies from the states that may be harder to find here or more expensive. I like the candy idea, just check with the teacher.

Kids always like toys too.

As for peanut butter, I've never met a person, anywhere, that liked it the first time. It's one of those things that grow on you! If for nothing else, it's just so that they can say they've had it. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! OK, so no peanut butter related candy - got it. Fruit snacks and bags of goldfish - great ideas! Do others agree that the flags are a "no go"?

I love the pencil idea, the pencils here are junk and break all the time. There is so much possibility! Make sure you bring back some clothes for birthday party gifts, they are always a welcome gift from Gap or Old Navy or things of that nature.

Personally, I´d say flags are a no go, not for any nationalistic reason but they won´t appreciate the gift, it´ll end up on the floor under their beds. Pencils with stars and stripes would be really cool especially for the 4 yr olds - if they're anything like mine they're right into drawing or scribbling at that age. And of course candy is always a winner.

My friend's 8 year old proudly showed me the fancy candy brought for her from Canada that "hadn't come out yet" here in Argentina - I think it was some sort of bubble gum thing in a animal shaped container - if you get whatever is the newest, coolest candy rage gimmick in the States I'm sure they will love it. Flags are probably not a good idea :)

You can buy those Magic Grow Capsules - those little pills you put in hot water... kids love that and they are cheap and light to bring from the US.

In regards to the flag... Being Argentine I would not be offended, but the general thought would be "oh, these Americans and their need to put their flag everywhere...". It's a typical comment or joke every time you watch an American movie.... the ubiquitous flag. Sorry if I am brutally honest - just trying to help.

Back