Gifts for kids

Another inexpensive idea... Give pennies/nickels to the kids- I teach in a middle school, and they are utterly fascinated by the coins. As long as the kids aren´t so young that they would swallow them, it´s a unique idea!

Also, kids generally go gaga over stickers (even the slightly older ones). Find some in Walmart or a teacher supply store that say things in English like "Great Job!" and "Excellent!" :)

I would def say no to the flags. I'm iffy on food too. I've tried. I brought back cake mix and frosting and my sons friends asked him if he actually ate that garbage. I've made sugar cookies from scratch for him to come home and say no one would try them, and the same with some cupcakes for a bake sale. They don't want to try anything new. I would stick with the pencil idea.

In my daughters school (she is older) it is the habit, if you go on holidays abroad, you bring candy from that country...

Thanks for the additional comments. The flags are definitely off the list - Nativexpat articulated exactly why I felt weird about the idea!

I love the idea of the stickers and coins!

Hi! Glad to be of help! I sort of regretted writing that, but happy now that I got my point across.

I just realized that it's you BAwithkids who started this thread! Wow, I still remember when you were about to move from the US and your first posts about the apartment in Conesa... you are already going back? How long has it been!? Time flies! I hope you enjoyed your experience here.

Oh! Another great gift my husband brought from the US which my kids loooove and has been a hit with friends... Bloonies. Maybe not for your 4-year old, cause the stuff drugs you up a bit.... It's for blowing plastic balloons, it comes in a tube...

Are the girls in your older one's class into American Girl? I have an 8-year-old student who is absolutely obsessed, and so are all of her friends... if so, they'd probably love American Girl sticker sheets (and maybe Star Wars or superheroes for the boys?)

Hi Nativexpat,

So funny that you remember me (and all my obsessive posts)! It's been a good experience, although not always an easy one (no shock there, of course). We aren't going back until the end of June, but have a visitor coming in April who can bring us stuff...

Back