Giving birth - Argentina or Chile ?

Giving birth - Argentina or Chile ?

• Total voters
All things considered, I am not doing it for myself but for family. I think she would understand. I'm the one who sacrifice as I am 100% financially responsible, my income lost due to 2 months time off would be significant. That's why I'm asking question here. Is Argentina passport worth ten of thousand dollars ?

You're waiting until the last minute to put your entire family under a great deal of stress (especially your wife) without discussing it first with your wife who deserves the right to make the decision. It's not your sacrifice, but it is your responsibility to provide financially for your family.

I had a Skype visit today with a couple in Grenoble, France, who have a four-year-old boy and are expecting their daughter on June 22. I shared your story with them and asked, what do you think? She said, "there is no way I would get on a plane for 14 hours to give birth in Argentina. Why do such a thing? It's crazy. If she has a C-section, she will need more time to rest and recover from the birth."

You do not have a residence in Argentina to use for a DNI which is required. You need the birth certificate and DNI to obtain a passport. I have two passports, one of which I obtained in 2013 when I became a naturalized citizen. I live in Argentina and plan on staying. You do not.

Save the $15K it would cost to travel and live here for two or three months, and let your family have a normal life in Canada.

Thank you for your response. I don't know any European country has jus soli law. Can you list them?

There are no European countries that have unconditional jus soli at the moment.

For countries such as France, simply being born there does not confer your child French citizenship. Aside from being born in French territory, he/she would need to live in France from the age of 8 (if he/she is between 13 and 16 when he requests citizenship), live in France for at least 5 years since the age of 11 (if he/she is 16-18), or the same 5-year residence requirement plus residing in France at the time of his/her 18th birthday if they are 18 or older.

I think it would be easier for your child to serve in the French Foreign Legion for 3 years. If they are wounded in battle, the 3 years requirement is lifted!

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm a female Argie living an expat life for more than 20 years now. My kids have 2 nationalities, one is European and the other is Argentinian. They've never lived in Argentina although they visited plenty of times. Now with the kids finishing high school they'll spend a gap year in Argentina (this is the reason I join the forum).
I agree that having another citizenship is a plus if they speak the language and are able to navigate in the culture, it's hard work to make multicultural kids. Another plus is that higher education in Argentina is free, something to consider in the long run.
However, in my own experience, giving birth in a different culture is extremely stressful and I wouldn't recommend it if your wife doesn't share your motivation of giving the baby a second nationality. Only for the very tough minded.

Thanks for all the information. One of my biggest concern is being stopped at the border. My wife would be 35 weeks pregnant so it's fairly obvious to the immigration officer. What would be the possibility she is denied entry at Buenos Aires airport?

Thanks for all the information. One of my biggest concern is being stopped at the border. My wife would be 35 weeks pregnant so it's fairly obvious to the immigration officer. What would be the possibility she is denied entry at Buenos Aires airport?
I understand you are risking the baby's life at this point so I will refrain from giving any further advice on this matter. If you were a refugee or were in the middle of a civil war, it would make sense.

I understand you are risking the baby's life
Is it a bit dramatic ? Risking baby life by sitting on an airplane ? When my Mom was pregnant with me, she had to walk hundred of kms. Bombs, mortar rounds drop around her. Sometime she had to hold on to my Dad and closed her eyes because bodies piled up along the road. That's risking life. The risk nowadays are just the comfort, time and money.

Hi,

We are Canadian. We have never been to either country. We will have a baby in July. I want our child to have another passport. We have some questions
1. Which country would offer the best citizenship and passport, to complement to the Canadian one?
2. Which citizenship will have better value, 20 years from now (when my child grow up)
3. To play devil's advocate, can someone explain to me that giving birth in either country is not a wise decision.

Thank you very much

1 & 2 disqualify Argentina. Go to Chile. Argentina does not offer you a future.

It sounds like you’re more looking for an easy way to get citizenship for yourself eventually than simply give your child a gift, as you state.

In either case, you sound like you make ok money to be able to move here or another South American country after your kid is born and apply for citizenship in a sane manner.

But if you really do have to do it this way, because it’s super easy compared to bombs, mortars and sword fights then I would strongly suggest you choose Chile since Argentina does not offer your kid a future and hence instead of a gift is more like a burden (especially since you have no other family here).

Is it a bit dramatic ? Risking baby life by sitting on an airplane ? When my Mom was pregnant with me, she had to walk hundred of kms. Bombs, mortar rounds drop around her. Sometime she had to hold on to my Dad and closed her eyes because bodies piled up along the road. That's risking life. The risk nowadays are just the comfort, time and money.
I am sorry but you seem to be in a rush, if you wanted your kids to have multiple passports you would have planned ahead of time. I don't think you are disclosing your actual reasons for rushing a 35 week pregnant women and kids out of their country risking being rejected at the border, risking her health and your baby's. You basically don't even know anything about this place and are rushing out of Canada.

@MapleMan You've hinted at things that suggest you weren't always a Canadian and maybe your life experiences give you a perspective on things far different from most of us on this forum. But you are a Canadian now: a citizen of what is probably the most secure and stable country in the world. And Canadians don't do stuff that has even the remote possibility of risking putting their family in harm's way. Just Don't Do It.

What an interesting thread!

Could the OP (and the future child) please update the community here in, say, 20 years from now

You can set a reminder in your calendar app so as not to forget.

We will be waiting...

Thanks in advance!

;)

Back