Going To Mercado Central Tomorrow At 4Am (Questions)

French jurist

Registered
Has anyone been there?
Is it ok for individuals to go there at 4am?
In the seafood section, is it possible to find fresh King Crab from Ushuaia?

Thanks for any tips

They have different sections and different hours for bulk and retail sales - having said that I've never tried buying from the bulk sellers, maybe you'll have luck - otherwise 4am is probably a good time to be there to start queueing up for the opening of the retail sections (around 8 - 8:30). I've never been to the fish section as it only opens on Saturdays and I'm just not tough enough to handle mercado central on a Saturday - take lots a patience with you (and reading material).

Frenchie, yes it opens at 4am but that is the wholesale part.....to the north, about king crab, in the wholesale area you will probably have to buy it by the case, it is wholesale after all. In the retail area, to the south, there are not that many fishmongers.(the retail opens at 8am) Mercado Centro is run by the government( that is the marketing end of it and ownership of the land ) so what can you expect?.....When there is a HUGE banner plastered above the main entrance that says "CLARIN MIENTES" well you get the idea! The retail prices are not much cheaper than a good and honest carneceria or vedureria in el capital and usually not worth the travel, but remember the wholesale area does not sell by the kilo, but by the case....ever think about starting a co-op here?

Thanks,

I'll test my luck at 6am then (don't want to wait 3 hours in case it's impossible to enter at 4am for an individual)

The best bargains to be found are red meat and fruit. Most of the carnicerias there are divided into two sections - one with good quality, fresh cuts, and another with older, cheaper cuts. Make sure you get in line for the prior! You'll be able to tell which is which from the prices on the boards.

Will you be driving there? It makes THE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

I think we ended up saving about 60% of what we would have spent at Coto/Jumbo.

No problem for you to go on your own, but taking a friend to help you carry everything is well worth it ;)

Have you tried Ostramar (Sante Fe and Julian Alvarez or Araoz) for your crab legs? Maybe as a special order?

Have you tried Ostramar (Sante Fe and Julian Alvarez or Araoz) for your crab legs? Maybe as a special order?

Yop, I know quite well Ostramar, unfortunately I've never found fresh crab in BA (the frozen ones taste really bad and don't have this specific texture that only a fresh one has). I hope to find live oysters too but that might be too much asking (not even mentioning urchins..).

I'll try to take pics & post them with the prices

Please let me know if they have fresh centolla, the frozen one I bought the other day was a HUGE disappointment.

Yop, I know quite well Ostramar, unfortunately I've never found fresh crab in BA (the frozen ones taste really bad and don't have this specific texture that only a fresh one has). I hope to find live oysters too but that might be too much asking (not even mentioning urchins..).

I'll try to take pics & post them with the prices

Frenchie-San, Try the "Japanese way" of de-freezing. If you are French Verdadero, you should also know that the best way to
_descongelar_ frozen products such as Meat and Sea Foods are to take your time:
One, why is that unfrozen meat or flesh taste so bland and texture-less? Because at the de-freezing stage, ALL the "Umami" or the
tasting flavors/textures dissapears along with the Juices that melts away from the Meat or the SeaFoods. All the good and delicious Glutamins are dispersed out and thus the consequences of Bad tasting and awful textures.! All things freezes at - or at Zero degrees.So get yourself a rectangular or bucket deep enough and fill it with cold water, then fill to the brim with Ices, yes Ices. When the Ice mixes with the water, the temperature should drop to say some in the vecinity of + 5 degrees, let the Beef ( frozen ) or the Fish,Crab,Lobster etc. in and let it de-freeze slowly and Voila! you have the freshest naturally and slowly de-frozen Meat / Seafood to savour! I use this method all the time and even a friend Proffesional Chef was scratching his head when he tasted my _Frevious Frozen Meat/Seafoods. !

An old trick in Japan ! learned from the Frenchies ! ha,ha,ha, Ha,

Back