Going to the UK - entry for up to 6 months

sanj

Registered
Hello everyone...:):)

I've been living in BA for a couple of years but I will be going back to the UK soon with my Argentinean fiancee following a couple of weeks later. My fiancee has an Argentinean passport and hence is able to visit the UK for up to 6 months without a visa. However, I was trying to find out, from anyone from Argentina who has entered the UK recently (ie last 18 months), what type out questions are asked at immigration and what proof (ie return journey, funds, local address) are asked by the UK immigration authorities:confused:.

Many thanks

Sanj

If he is white and has a good pressence most likely none, if he doesn't have both they will ask question like reason for your stay, what you do for a living, how long you know your girlfriend, where you met her and where you are going to stay

Thanks - it's kind of what I thought. However, I'm kind of worried by the 'what if...?'. Especially as she speaks limited English. And the visitors visa is automatically 6 months, or do they limit it, to say 3 or 4?

Give her your mobile number and have your phone turned on. If there is any doubt the officer is going to call you and they probally want to see you and talk a bit with you if everything is legit

I have experience of this.

A friend of mine got turned back at immigration and put on the next plane home. You can imagen what his Dad said about los Ingles after that.

You need to say she has a job in Argentina and she is taking A HOLIDAY in the UK and going back to work in Argentina. You need papers to prove this and pay slips.
You need some proof you can support her in the UK bank balances are useful. You need to show you have a place to stay....and of course a return ticket for her.

Do not try returning to the UK again with yr girlfriend until you have left it for 12 months. You cant go in and out extending your 6 months visa (popping to Colonia idea)...that doesnt work in the UK. I tried it with my girlfriend and she nearly got sent back.

You can get a partnership visa that costs money but means she can work. This takes time and you need to prove stuff.

All this comes from experience. Be prepared and you will be OK.

Chaz, that is very useful and a reality check. I have the same fears (return flight is 3.5 months later). Bank statements, letters, photos, place to stay...these I will provide. When I get a job (which could be in Germany or Switzerland) and later when she returns to BA for a couple of weeks, I will later apply for the 'partnership visa' which I understand costs over £600 now!

Could you travel to other EEC countries with this 6 month visa - or was it when you went outside of the EU and tried to come back in that you had problems?

You will need a Schengen visa, which is for 3 months. After that you can return to the UK and get another 6 months. It's supposed to be that but I dont really believe it because you could in theory become a perm-tourist by just taking a plane to the UK every 3 months

qwerty said:
...they will ask question like reason for your stay, what you do for a living, how long you know your girlfriend, where you met her and where you are going to stay

Hell, I got this last time I arrived back in London and I'm British! I'd only been in BsAs a month. Welcome home, eh? :rolleyes:

Maybe I just looked a bit terrorist-y that day.

Hia Sanj

Good luck with all your travels.

We had problems when we visited the UK for 6 months then returned to Argentina for 4 and then returned to the UK. They said we needed to have stayed in Argentina for at least 6 months if not 12, before returning on a tourist visa. If we had had the partnership visa it would have been OK.

I believe if your girlfriend is visiting on a tourist 6 month visa and visits Europe during this time it should be OK. Remember to take her return ticket to Argentina with you when you go to Europe as they may want to see it when she comes back to the UK.

I believe you can only apply for the partnership visa from Argentina.

Anyhow we seem to have some things in common here! I hope all goes well for you and your partner. It will be me asking the questions next!

Back