Good News For Anyone Receiving International Packages!

Is there an update from anyone about receiving packages from abroad? I'd love to get mum to post some tea!
Also, any suggestions of where is now best to change pesos to dollars?
thanks in advance

post it tea bag by tea bag in separate envelopes. I'm sure a few will make it through.

Alternative is to get use to the local stuff or take a risk.

Alternative is to get use to the local stuff

As a tea loving Brit I thought the world was about to end when I ran out of my stash of UK bought tea bags. Liptons Yellow Label can easily be found here but are a bit on the weak side for me. Then one day I came across Taragui Classic International (not to be confused with the normal cheaper variety) and decided to give both the loose tea and tea bag versions a try. I can honestly say the loose tea is every bit as good as the average British brand tea and the bags aren't too bad either although not as strong as the leaf tea. So happy I am with it on my last trip to the UK I never even bothered bringing back any tea. Certainly better than playing the 'will it turn up in the post' game.

My quest for a decent bag of coffee hasn't been as successful though.

Alternative is to get use to the local stuff or take a risk.

That didn't seem to be appropriate usage of 'or'. A dash would have done the job better.

I brought in a few boxes of Red Rose orange pekoe - the Canadians here would know - and have banished this issue from my attention for the foreseeable future.
Pretty standard stuff, but absolutely incomparable to Lipton, Green Hills or - perish the thought - La Virginia.

In a show of hopeful optimism over the new president and the supposed return of door-to-door delivery, I allowed a friend at their insistence to send me a small package. It was sent 50 days ago and no word at all yet.

From what I've heard, the post office has been flooded with international packages from everybody and their mother ordering crap from China and overseas in expectation that it would be delivered to their door. It has gotten so bad there have been 10 hour waits outside the office in Retiro and the government has since said they are suspending door delivery for the time being (not sure if they actually are due to volume or just to try to calm the fury of online buying.)
http://www.clarin.co...1575442642.html
http://www.lanacion....ucha-burocracia

Argentina's post must be one of the most ill-managed in the world. Who has ONE international post office for a city of 13 million?? Why don't packages pass through customs and *then* sent to your local post office like every other country that I know of? The Pony Express was faster.
It's also made me really dislike people that say "I just ordered a pack of pencils from China for $0.10!" Yea, well FU for clogging up the system. I'd like to actually get my packages from loved ones.

http://www.bubblear.com/door-to-door-delivery-of-items-purchased-from-abroad-is-almost-back/

Door-to-door delivery of items purchased from abroad is almost back

5 Items A Year

The maximum amount of products that can be ordered online a year

US $ 999

The maximum value of each item

50 kilograms

The maximum weight of each item that can be shipped into Argentina

Non-Commercial Purposes

Items cannot be purchased for commercial purposes, but for personal use only.

Maximum 3 Identical Items

Customers cannot buy more than three of the same item.

Subject To Taxation

The items bought online will probably be subjected to taxation, but it is unclear how much.

Everything you need to know about online shopping and delivery now that it's back

http://www.bubblear.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-online-shopping-and-delivery-now-that-its-back/

With all due and undue respect, this sounds crazy. Only compared with the previous policy - cepo total y absoluto - can this be seen as sane.
  • If you're paying all the taxes, why the limits? I get the 'no commercial' part; I get the 'no more than 3 identical items part' but max. 5 deliveries per year? Why? If you're already enforcing the above limits plus a maximum combined value - why be difficult?
  • Is not the allowance of $25 a year a bit paltry? People who are ordering stuff online outside the country are not ordering toothpicks or matchboxes.
    Either put a normal limit ($200 doesn't sound a bit more reasonable??) or just put nothing.
  • At least, 6 months later, can one assume that the system is going to work?
    These artificial restrictions do not exactly inspire confidence. Assuming they expected it to work, wouldn't they want MORE stuff to come through? More tax revenue? Isn't that the way a business works - move more stuff, make more money?
I hope I'm wrong on all counts but not holding my breath. Muling stuff in with people is still an order of magnitude simpler.

With all due and undue respect, this sounds crazy. Only compared with the previous policy - cepo total y absoluto - can this be seen as sane.
  • If you're paying all the taxes, why the limits? I get the 'no commercial' part; I get the 'no more than 3 identical items part' but max. 5 deliveries per year? Why? If you're already enforcing the above limits plus a maximum combined value - why be difficult?
  • Is not the allowance of $25 a year a bit paltry? People who are ordering stuff online outside the country are not ordering toothpicks or matchboxes.
    Either put a normal limit ($200 doesn't sound a bit more reasonable??) or just put nothing.
  • At least, 6 months later, can one assume that the system is going to work?
    These artificial restrictions do not exactly inspire confidence. Assuming they expected it to work, wouldn't they want MORE stuff to come through? More tax revenue? Isn't that the way a business works - move more stuff, make more money?
I hope I'm wrong on all counts but not holding my breath. Muling stuff in with people is still an order of magnitude simpler.
I don't know about the $25 a year part - the article says $999 USD per item ordered, 5 items a year. I'd read something a couple of weeks ago that was talking about this and posted something - I was sure it said 5 shipments a year, with each shipment being limited to 3 items. I thought the $999 limit was per shipment, not per item - unless the Bubblear meant shipments when it said items - or what I read was wrong. I tried to find the original article but don't have time to search right now.

But I agree - any restriction is idiotic as long as you are paying taxes. It's like double protectionism - we're going to charge you enough in taxes to make sure it hurts so you prefer to buy local, but in case it doesn't hurt enough we're going to limit how much good stuff you can bring in, all so supposedly you will buy our local crap...

Back