Good News For Anyone Receiving International Packages!

It is $1000 USD (not $999) per delivery.

Up to 5 shipments per year if using one of the courier companies like DHL or FedEx (they will take care of paying for tax for you). Unlimited deliveries if using Correo Argentino (you will have to pay the tax).

In either case, after receiving your package you have 30 days to inform AFIP of successful receipt.

Anyway, you can find more information here: http://www.infobae.com/economia/2016/07/26/el-puerta-a-puerta-para-compras-al-exterior-es-oficial-como-sera-el-nuevo-regimen-y-el-limite-de-compra/

The bubblear article is pretty slim on actual details, run the infobae article through google translate if your Spanish sucks.

These artificial restrictions do not exactly inspire confidence. Assuming they expected it to work, wouldn't they want MORE stuff to come through? More tax revenue? Isn't that the way a business works - move more stuff, make more money?

They are likely worried about the impacts that this will have on the exchange rate, certain industries, and small businesses. In the absolute worst case scenario, more stuff coming through would mean that the exchange rate goes up to chill demand, which would increase inflation expectations and perhaps require the interest rate to be increased. Also (again, worse case scenario), small shops that sell the stuff you order on Amazon would start to close, jobs would be lost, etc.

I don't like protectionism either, but there are a lot of things that I don't like in life. It's simple math: dollars in minus dollars out. I am still waiting for Alfonso Prat Gay's 20 billion USD that he promised by April of this year for the FX reserves. (For what it's worth, they're still sitting at 34 billion.)

They are likely worried about the impacts that this will have on the exchange rate, certain industries, and small businesses. In the absolute worst case scenario, more stuff coming through would mean that the exchange rate goes up to chill demand, which would increase inflation expectations and perhaps require the interest rate to be increased. Also (again, worse case scenario), small shops that sell the stuff you order on Amazon would start to close, jobs would be lost, etc.

I don't like protectionism either, but there are a lot of things that I don't like in life. It's simple math: dollars in minus dollars out. I am still waiting for Alfonso Prat Gay's 20 billion USD that he promised by April of this year for the FX reserves. (For what it's worth, they're still sitting at 34 billion.)

Quite frankly I don't give a monkey's what negative impact this might have on Argentine business as the majority of them need a kick up the backside to get them into the 21st century.

Tax rate will 50%? They should just copy the Australia model and make the limit $300 USD for tax free.

I still haven't a clue how the new rules are supposed to work or how they will be enforced. From what I've read if my sister sends me five bars of chocolate from the UK two bars will be confiscated because it exceeds the 3 same item limit. Am I expected to pay 50% tax on said chocolate bars and if so how am I supposed to know the cost of the chocolate?

Someone told me it'll be best to use Correo rather than the courier companies which I have to say doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

The circus of Argentina continues - do they need realise the reason people buy so much crap online from overseas is because the goods here SUCK. They are expensive and shit quality.

The circus of Argentina continues - do they need realise the reason people buy so much crap online from overseas is because the goods here SUCK. They are expensive and shit quality.

Hence my earlier post about not giving a stuff about the knock on effect this might have on the retail industry here. The service you get feels as if they're the ones doing you a favour not to mention demanding you pay well over the odds for low or average quality goods. Even with a 50% tax hit I'll still be quids in buying from abroad and the quality I know will be guaranteed. I'd like to support local business but they don't exactly help themselves.

http://www.bubblear.com/door-to-door-delivery-of-items-purchased-abroad-is-officially-here/

Absolute mess of a system - Argentina in a nutshell.. Watch how many items go 'missing'. I love the old 'sorry you weren't home so we are going to keep your item then charge you to pick it up - holding fees'.

Absolute mess of a system - Argentina in a nutshell.. Watch how many items go 'missing'. I love the old 'sorry you weren't home so we are going to keep your item then charge you to pick it up - holding fees'.

Making the simplest of processes as complicated as possible does seem to be the Argentine way. What I don't understand is how it's supposed to work for those ex-pats who are unable to register with AFIP?

Back