Google FI internet speeds

Activate Personal prepaid sim but still getting H or H+ at my current Airbnb.

Does it change when you stick the phone out of the window?
Install this program and post here some screenshots.

Also, somewhere in Mobile Network settings of the phone itself there is "Preferred Network Type" option. Make sure that it is set to 4G.

Last edited:
Does it change when you stick the phone out of the window?
Install this program and post here some screenshots.

Also, somewhere in Mobile Network settings of the phone itself there is "Preferred Network Type" option. Make sure that it is set to 4G.

I stuck it out the window and after switching on/off airplane mode it did indeed show LTE. Preferred Network Type shouldn’t be set to 5G? I though you set it to 5G and if it can’t find that then it goes to 4G. It says in my phone the 5G setting is recommended. I did set it to 4G however to test, and toggled airplane mode and restarted, it’s still showing Personal H+ however. Anyways, don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal. I have wifi and will be moving out of here anyway next week, and I’m getting LTE most other places. Just wanted to post my results here as an FYI. Thanks.

I've never used a Pixel, but does this work?

How do I force 4G in Pixel 5?

Swipe up
  1. Swipe up.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Network and Internet.
  4. Select Mobile network.
  5. Select Preferred network type.
  6. Select your preferred option.

I've never used a Pixel, but does this work?

How do I force 4G in Pixel 5?

Swipe up
  1. Swipe up.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Network and Internet.
  4. Select Mobile network.
  5. Select Preferred network type.
  6. Select your preferred option.

I think we posted about the same time. Thanks.

I stuck it out the window and after switching on/off airplane mode it did indeed show LTE. Preferred Network Type shouldn’t be set to 5G? I though you set it to 5G and if it can’t find that then it goes to 4G. It says in my phone the 5G setting is recommended. I did set it to 4G however to test, and toggled airplane mode and restarted, it’s still showing Personal H+ however. Anyways, don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal. I have wifi and will be moving out of here anyway next week, and I’m getting LTE most other places. Just wanted to post my results here as an FYI. Thanks.

Its argentina you never know what you're going to get.

It's a bit unfortunate, Personal doesn't really want you on 3G (H/H+) because it wants to clear users from that technology so it can refarm the bands for 4/5G (and because users don't consume as much data in 3G).

I think you have very bad reception in your Airbnb, so the network bumps you off 4G, to where you might get a more reliable connection on 3G. You can use online coverage maps (OpenSignal, NPerf, etc) to try to anticipate what coverage you could expect, but it's not going to be accurate down to a single apartment.

To see 5G service with Personal you'd need to go closer to the start of 9 de Julio, south of Retiro train station, or parts of Puerto Madero have 5G coverage as well. It's not a large deployment, and there's no real advantage to using it yet since it's just sharing 4G spectrum. If you're going to be in Pinamar or MdP you can find "real" 5G.

Its argentina you never know what you're going to get.

Not sure what it is. Sometimes it can be the downtown or city nature of things, which can mess with GPS also. When I was working in highrise buildings in downtown Dallas, sometimes I wouldn't get any internet in some parts of the building. Not sure what this situation is but the building seems to be involved.

Not sure what it is. Sometimes it can be the downtown or city nature of things, which can mess with GPS also. When I was working in highrise buildings in downtown Dallas, sometimes I wouldn't get any internet in some parts of the building. Not sure what this situation is but the building seems to be involved.
Yes, just as building cast visible shadows and reflect light, they also do the same with radio signals. Also, the building materials may attenuate the radio signals. Finally, mobile networks are generally optimized for users on the ground (the antennas are tilted downwards), so mid and upper levels of tall buildings may not have mobile service.

For Google fi, turn off auto network select and try selecting individual networks for better service. Sometimes their algorithm picks a a bad network.

You may want to check your Google Fi plan. "Simply unlimited". Vs "unlimited Plus" which includes international coverage.

Back