Got into a scuffle with three chorros at Starbucks- will they seek revenge?

Why doesn't everyone just head to the USA? Relatively open borders. Generous and growing social welfare programs. Large Spanish-speaking communities in all major cities. Jobs. Why bother with Argentina?

I hope this is sarcasm. USA is its own "Sh!t hole". Which country am I describing below?
Free healthcare,
Free education (primary to tertiary),
Spanish speaking,
Low cost of living,
Democratic,
Generally welcoming to immigrants,
Strong links to social protections.

Pretty much everything about Argentina (besides the economy) appeals to immigrants. Yeah there are huge issues with poverty and runaway inflation but you are atleast not going to be killed if you say something bad about the ruling party (whoever that may be at the time).

US needs more immigrants to work entry level jobs. Open it up!
It's quite open actually. Some enforcement but little they can do against the numbers. Americans increasingly are refusing to do entry level jobs. And many require Spanish skills. Not quite sure what anyone finds in Argentina these days. I like it for the NA winter. But if Palermo Chico has gotten bad, I'll move to Montevideo.

It's quite open actually. Some enforcement but little they can do against the numbers. Americans increasingly are refusing to do entry level jobs. And many require Spanish skills. Not quite sure what anyone finds in Argentina these days. I like it for the NA winter. But if Palermo Chico has gotten bad, I'll move to Montevideo.

How's the crime in Montevideo vs Buenos Aires? I read that things were getting more dangerous there.

A few young men selling some items that fell off the truck and also looking for other opportunities that arise, like shiny new iPhones, sounds like pretty standard Argentina, even in Palermo Chico.

I hope this is sarcasm. USA is its own "Sh!t hole". Which country am I describing below?
Free healthcare,
Spanish speaking,
Low cost of living,
Democratic,

Pretty much everything about Argentina (besides the economy) appeals to immigrants. Yeah there are huge issues with poverty and runaway inflation but you are atleast not going to be killed if you say something bad about the ruling party (whoever that may be at the time).
You are new here, aren't you?

Free healthcare,
Spanish speaking,
Low cost of living,
Democratic,

It's a low cost of living for you, the rich expat. It's not low cost of living for people working entry level jobs, it's expensive.

How's the crime in Montevideo vs Buenos Aires? I read that things were getting more dangerous there.

A few young men selling some items that fell off the truck and also looking for other opportunities that arise, like shiny new iPhones, sounds like pretty standard Argentina, even in Palermo Chico.
We're in Tuscany now. We'd prefer to spend NA winter in Palermo Chico or Pocitos or Punta del Este. If they've all gone to hell, we'll just stay in Tuscany. Really like Florence. I suspect things are just fine in Palermo Chico, however.

We're in Tuscany now. We'd prefer to spend NA winter in Palermo Chico or Pocitos or Punta del Este. If they've all gone to hell, we'll just stay in Tuscany. Really like Florence. I suspect things are just fine in Palermo Chico, however.
We don't care about the local Argentine politics, or that in Italy or the USA. Doesn't make any difference anyway.

Most shops in posh Pocitos now have security doors, and ring customers in one at a time. Lots of purse-snatchings, but so far crime is not as violent as in Argentina.

Hopefully, legal marihuana will eventually help soften the populace's temper, and would-be criminals will choose to puff their lives away, peacefully relaxing at some beach.

Last edited:
Back