Got Nailed In Eze Customs

Interesting point. I've been coming down twice a year for ... how many? ... around fifteen years and can't remember when the last time was that an official asked for or took that customs form we're issued on the plane. It still requires you to list your precious cell phone's make and model as if having one were some kind of novelty.

Is it neccesary to fill in that form? I never have in five flights here, I just didn't think it was for me for some reason.

You can always say that they did not give you the customs form on the plane ... while casually holding your passport in your hand (not the DNI). Has always worked for me so far.

Recently I brought 2 laptops into the country and they were both in my backpack. I needed them both as I like to use 2..one to study watching videos and the other to type on taking notes and for other things. I was mindful that they may ask about them, but as I put my suitcase and bag onto the big conveyor belt scanning machine, I was watching them and the guy was swinging around on his chair talking to the lady on the next machine...not even watching the screen. A nice bit of luck and no questions to answer....that is what it comes down to a lot with things in Argentina I believe...a little bit of luck. I took it back with me anyway, but one was fairly new and one older looking so I thought I may get pulled up about it.

Recently I brought 2 laptops into the country and they were both in my backpack. I needed them both as I like to use 2..one to study watching videos and the other to type on taking notes and for other things. I was mindful that they may ask about them, but as I put my suitcase and bag onto the big conveyor belt scanning machine, I was watching them and the guy was swinging around on his chair talking to the lady on the next machine...not even watching the screen. A nice bit of luck and no questions to answer....that is what it comes down to a lot with things in Argentina I believe...a little bit of luck. I took it back with me anyway, but one was fairly new and one older looking so I thought I may get pulled up about it.

Last time I came from the UK I was loaded up. Xbox (controllers and games too), two laptops, a couple of cellphones, a few bottles of perfume, a few iPads, and a ton of choclates. All were "used" but nevertheless it was a tense experience going through, but I had the same experience as you, only there were three of them just talking and joking. Lucky I guess, but not really considering I owned those items, so I never feel lucky for simply brining my own possessions into the country.

Hi guys,

A question for all you experienced travelers. I live in BA and a friend brought me an expensive electronic device $2000 and he got nailed while going through customs.

They took down its model number and serial number and looked up how much it cost. They told me that if he didn't bring it back with him when he left, they'd charge him $700.

My question is... if he happens to get robbed while he is here and files a police report, will he be able to leave the country and show the police report without getting charged the $700 customs fee?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Wow as soon as you set foot in a new country you simply want to break the law? And you want to go to the police to do so? You are not being very smart... do you break the law in your home country as well? All of this could be answered or not, but I think you are just trolling.

I don't think there's any reason to stage a false robbery in this situation. I never end up handing over those customs forms, so maybe there was a rookie mistake where he didn't know how to cruise by the officers. Anyway, you're probably still ahead on your electronics price if he gets busted and has to pay the fine, right? I'd chance it on the exit and then pay him back if he really does get dinged.

Hi everyone. I am not trolling this really happened. My buddy got nailed in EZE customs and they took down the serial number of his stuff as he entered.

I guess no one has had any experience with this issue. Thanks anyway.

There has got to be more to this tale...... Devil is in the details.

I'm not surprised. If your friend didn't take it out of the box or wrapping, they won't hesitate to stop someone, tourist or no. I've not heard of them writing down the number though, normally they make you pay it on the spot. If your friend has a credit card or means to pay if they stop him on the way out, be prepared to reimburse him. And you owe him/her a giant big thank you for dealing with all this hassle.

Reactions: ben
Hi everyone. I am not trolling this really happened. My buddy got nailed in EZE customs and they took down the serial number of his stuff as he entered.

I guess no one has had any experience with this issue. Thanks anyway.
The experience is that if your friend is doing something nice for you, you don't make him file a fake police report and go through all kinds of trouble because you refuse to pay a tax. One thing is you doing something illegal or breaking the law, a different one is putting your friend at risk and exposing him because you refuse to pay a tax that you knew beforehand that you would have to pay. I feel sorry for your buddy at this point. Remember it is HIM dealing with customs, police the airport, etc and not you. Man up and pay your dues. If you cannot afford to buy things, then don't buy them.

Back