Got Nailed In Eze Customs

It's staggering how fast the corruption in Argentina can spread to the foreigner.

It begins with bribing a customs official upon arrival.

Then comes the "staged false robbery" (actually, making a false police report).

What's comes after that? Jumping turnstiles?

And then the life as an international fugitive?

Thems could be the consequences.
emo32.gif

It's staggering how fast the corruption in Argentina can spread to the foreigner.

It begins with bribing a customs official upon arrival.

Then comes the "staged false robbery" (actually, making a false police report).

What's comes after that? Jumping turnstiles?

And then the life as an international fugitive?

Thems could be the consequences.
emo32.gif
When in Rome.......

Things at Ezeiza are not very good these days.

It is true that the customs are opening lot of suitcases unlike before and behaving differently than before aka the relaxed/casual attitude.

I am not sure what they are looking for. But I did notice some blokes having a tough time.

My suitcases were opened as well and lot of questions asked but no money/fine/bribe etc were discussed.

Last year we flew from Foz de Iguassu instead. Tickets to Europe were half price compared to EZE and you can take 3 times as much luggage (due to Brasilian law, 2.32kg per person).
After a night in Brasil on our way back, we took a taxi and drove across the border. They know all teh taxi drivers and though we had just crossed for the day and did not even look at the 200kgs of goods we had (mostly used, some new, though nothing fancy).

It's a great road trip to Iguazu anyways, probably better than a road trip to jail. Also, please don't spread more corruption than there already is. You will spoil entry into EZE for thousands of others that want to come, just by giving the many honest people an idea that there is easier money.

Last year we flew from Foz de Iguassu instead. Tickets to Europe were half price compared to EZE and you can take 3 times as much luggage (due to Brasilian law, 2.32kg per person).
After a night in Brasil on our way back, we took a taxi and drove across the border. They know all teh taxi drivers and though we had just crossed for the day and did not even look at the 200kgs of goods we had (mostly used, some new, though nothing fancy).

It's a great road trip to Iguazu anyways, probably better than a road trip to jail. Also, please don't spread more corruption than there already is. You will spoil entry into EZE for thousands of others that want to come, just by giving the many honest people an idea that there is easier money.

That's a good tip regarding more affordable airline prices. I have been tempted by this route before, but opted for convenience over cost. I think it was two connections for me to get back to London and 36 hours.

My company needed a U$S2000 piece of equipment (PID Photo Ionization Detector) which is sold here in Argentina for U$S4000. To be imported from Chile, it would cost U$S2000 + U$S900 tax and delivery. I bought it in the States, took it apart, put in the different suitecases and brought it here. No questions were asked at the customs. We do need it for field work and use it almost on every project. In Argentina, we charge the client 200 pesos per field day for the equipment usage. It would take about 300 projects or 3 or more years to get $4000 back (and 3 years is the usual life span of the PID).

I think I've been misinterpreted. I was NOT suggesting a bribe. I was just saying that in the last 9 years of back and forth between USA and Argentina, I have never been inspected and this is the first time I have even heard of anybody being inspected by customs. Usually it's the X-ray machine and they don't even take the custom form.
I just returned via Miami with 3 full overweight bags, no Customs form and was waved through the scanners with a smile and a buen dia. This has been my back and forth experience for quite some time. I consider myself fortunate after reading some of these posts.

Things at Ezeiza are not very good these days.

It is true that the customs are opening lot of suitcases unlike before and behaving differently than before aka the relaxed/casual attitude.

I am not sure what they are looking for. But I did notice some blokes having a tough time.

My suitcases were opened as well and lot of questions asked but no money/fine/bribe etc were discussed.

This was sighted/experienced by me, this week.

I use Ezeiza several times a year - this was my first experience like this.

Note that every time I arrived at EZE, I never took off my daypack/carry on. I just put my big bags on the scanner and walked around to the other side with my backpack still on.They never asked my to take off my backpack and to put it through the scanner.
I am not taking anything new normally, but as a photographer I always carry lots of photo gear, laptop, back up disks etc. Better to prevent questions.

Back