Gov't Shutters Telecommunications Boards, Polemic Ensues

It now seems that Sabatella has been accused of about 3 violations of the Ley de Medios itself.I can't remember which ones.Argentine political tit for tat once again.We'll have to see how this is played out.

Reminds of the prison siege in The Walking Dead, except Sab's got a tidy little Audi R8 to zoom away in apparently. That must be true because I saw it on Facebook...

It now seems that Sabatella has been accused of about 3 violations of the Ley de Medios itself.I can't remember which ones.Argentine political tit for tat once again.We'll have to see how this is played out.

He's Guilty...!! :rolleyes: He collected 8 % from employee's salaries for the Party !! :eek:

So if he's guilty as you have determined, surely you would want him to be tried and removed from office following due legal process. Or is it better to just skip all those tedious constitutional formalities like "laws" and "separation of powers" and just remove him by decree?

OAS: AFSCA move hurts autonomy.

When you've lost the OAS...

EdRooney.
I don't know:Kueen Kristina did exactly the same thing in 2012.
Maybe it's a case of,"What's good for the gander,is good for the goose".Or something like that.

That has to be the most childish argument I've ever heard. (Most) everyone here agrees CFK was an awful president. Now you want to use her as a model for how the current government should break the law as well?

Do we really expect Argentina to convert overnight into a shining example of democracy in action? Maybe one has to look at who provides the most benefits for the most people at the least cost (and I'm not just talking monetary) and not worry so much about the niceties of constitutional rule. It occurs to me that most here (including myself, at least at times) look at politics here and try to apply it to our standard of what is "right" and "wrong". Instead of looking at Macri's moves (such as removing Sabatella) as anti-constitutional, or perhaps strong-arm at very best, one should think that this administration's politics at least is freeing up some of the damage the previous administration did and simply hope that the next 4 years of relative dictatorship is more benign and enlightened than the last 12, and will cost the Argentine people less and provide more benefits to more people.

As we've discussed many times here in various places, Argentina at best is new at the "democracy" game and they obviously don't really understand what it means (and I think few countries/citizens in the world really do anyway, as democracy is used to siphon off huge amounts of money for those who have it supposedly for the good of all and to justify all manner of inequalities).

It cracks me up when the people who are in power talk about the nice things they have done for everyone with their democratic fervor, while the other side are demons incarnate who would hold back "progress". While those who are not in power must accept the dictates of those who are, like it or lump it. I see very little difference between what Macri is doing and, say, what the Democrats did with healthcare in the States (remember Nancy Pelosi's "democratic" words about climbing fences, digging tunnels and parachuting in like an occupying army!) and how like-minded folk accuse the Republicans of being murderers because they want to keep healthcare only for the rich. Or how both sides continue to perpetuate ongoing wars against people on the other side of the world in the name of national defense while keeping people so terrified of an attack on US soil that everyone seems willing to give up so many "democratic" freedoms in the name of security.

When those who are not in power find their way to it later, they are suddenly the power who gets to decide how the other side lives for awhile. It's a back-and-forth seesaw that has no real winners over the long term except those who play the game on both sides, while the population itselfs gets to act as cannon fodder under the guise of "fighting the good fight" or being those whose farms get steam-rollered under the press of armies moving for advantage on the battlefield.

I guess what I'm saying, EdRooney, is maybe this is the best "democracy" that Argentina has right now and as such isn't all that far from a place like, say, the US, where the illusion of tyranny is better hidden to its citizenry (although the veneer is peeling away more and more every year).

I used to be a democracy fan, but every year I realize more and more that it seems like its just another way to have a bigger ruling class that benefits off the labor of those who submit to it. Maybe it's the intent of the policies and the result of the power that counts in the long term. Either way, humans still haven't learned how to govern themselves, in my opinion.

Certainly not here in Argentina.

Back