Graffiti Is A Crime In The Capital Federal

It makes the city look like a "slum" when they paint swastikas, and there are many of those all over the city painted on the buildings. The graffiti painted on the A lines is artistic, but when it's mean spirited it makes the city look like a ciudad de quarta.

Can you take some photos of these alleged swastikas, and post them here to verify your claim? Given that you're alleging "there are many of those all over the city", it shouldn't be too hard for you to provide half a dozen, no?

Personally, when I think of graffiti, I think of Chicano park.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicano-park-san-diego
Keep paging down and you'll see many amazing examples of art in the Chicano muralistic style, reminiscent of the work of Diego Rivera.

Written a few years ago but an interesting article: http://www.livescience.com/7599-graffiti-triggers-crime-littering.html

Do you have graffiti on the building where you live?
Would you welcome graffiti on the building where you live?

My building has a big fence in the front that can't really be graffiti'd, but, it sounds like the graffiti you mention on your building is the kind I don't care for. I'm more talking about the bigger, colorful works that you see under bridges and things like that. For me, that feels more like public art than vandalizing graffiti. Like I said, the random letters and tags everywhere, I could do without, and it sounds like that's what you're dealing with at your place. I don't remember seeing much of the stuff I was talking about in Bariloche.

If the graffiti is on the subway trains or passenger trains i don't like it, but for rundown looking old building I don't care.
I'd also rather have the police investigating robbery, pick pocketing and rape instead of chasing kids down for spray painting.

Written a few years ago but an interesting article: http://www.livescien...-littering.html

OK, from the top.

Correlation does not imply causation. All of these phenomena are symptoms of social injustice, none of them are causes.
The sample size was too small to be statistically reliable. Eighty bicycles is a joke, in that sense.
The study group artificially created the situation by attaching flyers to the bicycles.
The researchers themselves applied graffiti. Again, contamination of results.
There were no trashcans available.
New York is cited as an example. Given the grossly racist nature of the NYPD's stop and frisk policy, I would reject this as evidence.

It`s hard to discourage graffiti and defacement of property when half the horrible lettering and tagging around the city is done by the Camporistas and PFV. There are some amazing urban artists out there that do works that actually do indeed beautify a lot of otherwise rather derelict surfaces. However then there`s also the a/&holes that went through our neighbourhood and just tagged very poorly "El Team" "El Team" "El Team". Our neighbours across the street have had their classic style PH tagged 3 times in less than a year -- First with El Team then someone tagged in red LVK and then someone else came along and tagged GATO in blue... if you ask me they should have cleaned off the first (which yes, is a near impossible task, but can be done) right away and with luck it would have stopped the competing taggers coming along. It's hard, a pristine surface can be tempting, but it seems that a surface that already has one tag on it is even more so.

Here's some graffiti art links to quality works (mostly commissioned):

http://buenosairesstreetart.com/es/2013/08/martin-ron-termina-maravilloso-muro-en-villa-urquiza/

G+ group that features some of the best: https://plus.google.com/104876876351618368158/posts

The graffiti makes the city look like a slum. It's visual contamination.

One day a few months ago, I asked a policeman on duty in my neighborhood Balvanera if graffiti is a crime. He said it is, and told me what I could do about it. He said they have to do community service and pay a fine. All I had to do was see one in action and call the police.

I thought I'd have to go lurking at night in the neighborhood to find one of these graffiti artists (I use the term loosely). Much to my amazement and delight, I found one yesterday evening at 6:30 on my street just as he completed the damage to a factory. He was prepared with lies to justify his crime(delito). It was perfect timing when a police car drove by, and I asked them to stop. I didn't hesitate to say that I wanted to make a police report (denuncia) and see him arrested. The two officers called in and waited for another one to arrive (as if this was a violent crime that needed backup). A neighbor walking her dog informed the police that the factory owner is the owner of the garage around the corner. An officer went to investigate, but the owner wasn't there. While we're waiting, one officer has our DNIs. I didn't get the name of the perpetrator. Another officer is across the street chatting with the criminal whose accent is not Argentine. He was proud of is work in the 2200 block of Chile. I had to ask what those View attachment 3094letters mean, not that it mattered, and so did the police. The final outcome was an excuse that this was private property and only the owner could file a report. That is simply not true. The police didn't want to deal with the situation.

I decided to research the law because it concerns me and found an article.

http://www.lanacion....-en-las-paredes

It is a crime to paint graffiti on public or private property in the capital. It's increasing at an alarming rate because citizens don't take action when they see a crime being committed, and the police are too lazy to make an arrest. This needs to change. One officer made excuses that Argentina isn't like other countries. True, and there is lots of room for improvement; Mayor Macri is doing something about it. I pointed out that this beautiful city is deteriorating with the graffiti and garbage situations because people just don't care. A change of attitude is the only solution to these problems.

Article 80 of the City Code states the punishment for this crime is 1-15 days of community service and fines of 200 to 3,000 pesos for damaging public or private property with graffiti.

If you see someone painting graffiti, use your cellphone to document it. Take a photo of them in the act. Then call 911 for the police to come to the scene of the crime. You'll be asked for your DNI and to accompany them to the local police station to file a report.

Palermo and Belgrano are favorite neighborhoods of "grafiteros" at night. They're ruining your neighborhood. The only thing that will deter them is more arrests.

At the corner of Cerviño and Árabe Siria, two doors from our apartment, there's always a policeman outside the bank. At the intersection, motorists are constantly speeding past pedestrians in the crosswalk. I once asked the policeman whether pedestrians had right-of-way and, after he answered they do, I asked him why he didn't stop the speeding cars and write them infracciones. His response? "That's not my job."

At the corner of Cerviño and Árabe Siria, two doors from our apartment, there's always a policeman outside the bank. At the intersection, motorists are constantly speeding past pedestrians in the crosswalk. I once asked the policeman whether pedestrians had right-of-way and, after he answered they do, I asked him why he didn't stop the speeding cars and write them infracciones. His response? "That's not my job."

Newsflash. He Was Correct.

Do you see him with a motorbike? What do you want him to do, take off in hot pursuit on foot? The traffic police have a handy yellow vest with "Transito" written in bold black letters so that tourists and residents alike can pick them out. I'd have worked out a way to book you for wasting my time if I were said beat cop.

Use a bit of common sense, in most countries in the world the traffic branch handle motoring infractions and beat police are there for to protect against what could loosely be termed "street crime" , your petty wittering about jaywalking is hardly an issue that warrants attention for god's sake.

If I was a local cop I would laugh in the face of elderly cantankerous ex-pats complaing about bloody jaywalking or asking me to arrest kids spraypainting other people's buildings. Wake up, there are more serious issues that need attention rather than your list of pet hates. I'd rather they were prioritising the mugging, pickpocketing and various other priority problems. Police resources are fairly squeezed as it is without dealing with the complaints of every other out of town windbag !

jantango said:
It is a crime to paint graffiti on public or private property in the capital. It's increasing at an alarming rate because citizens don't take action when they see a crime being committed, and the police are too lazy to make an arrest. This needs to change. One officer made excuses that Argentina isn't like other countries. True, and there is lots of room for improvement; Mayor Macri is doing something about it. I pointed out that this beautiful city is deteriorating with the graffiti and garbage situations because people just don't care. A change of attitude is the only solution to these problems.
There is no accountability and even less pride.

Newsflash. He Was Correct.

Do you see him with a motorbike? What do you want him to do, take off in hot pursuit on foot? The traffic police have a handy yellow vest with "Transito" written in bold black letters so that tourists and residents alike can pick them out. I'd have worked out a way to book you for wasting my time if I were said beat cop.

Use a bit of common sense, in most countries in the world the traffic branch handle motoring infractions and beat police are there for to protect against what could loosely be termed "street crime" , your petty wittering about jaywalking is hardly an issue that warrants attention for god's sake.

If I was a local cop I would laugh in the face of elderly cantankerous ex-pats complaing about bloody jaywalking or asking me to arrest kids spraypainting other people's buildings. Wake up, there are more serious issues that need attention rather than your list of pet hates. I'd rather they were prioritising the mugging, pickpocketing and various other priority problems. Police resources are fairly squeezed as it is without dealing with the complaints of every other out of town windbag !
yes the policemen are too busy chatting to shopkeepers and texting their girlfriends when they are suppose to be fighting crime.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 8
G Culture 2
A Newcomers Forum 17
K Entertainment 0
F Culture 20
Back