Grocery Stores in the USA

SaraSara said:
Another difference is that beef in the US is corn-fed, while in Argentina it's still range fed. This starting to change, as local cattlemen discover the lower costs of feedlots. (Less fences, less workers to keep them in shape, easier to do headcounts, etc.)

Feedlots only make animals put on weight quicker.. The animals dont walk around as much. It also enables the cattle to have marbling in the meat, which some cultures prefer.
Grass fed cattle is still cheaper to raise, just takes longer to get to optimal weight.

cabrera said:
How do you know my life LA ? . I am also a expat who happen to be born in Argentina and am entitled to my opinion about our national food . Do you know how many Argentines read this site and are dismayed that their food and culture is treated with contempt by outsiders with no knowledge or our history or our likes. Can you imagine if I went to Los Angeles and said the comments that I have heard here . I doubt if the USA people would take too kindly too outsiders shitting on their culture .

It doesn't take much effort to learn about a culture's history and likes. In fact, I know more about the City of Buenos Aires and its history than nearly all the Argentines I know here. I've played 5v5 or 6v6 futbol with two different groups nearly ever week for the last 2 1/2 years. I've gone to wine tastings with locals & expats for nearly as long and they ages are from the early 20s well into their 60s. Strangely enough I'm friends with a little group of college kids and I've taught English to various people all around the city.

I know this city's history. I know when various waves of immigrants came and where they came from and where they settled. I know the likes and dislikes of the majority of the people in this city. And it's not like I'm magic or something to know all of this, I just have researched it, asked about it, experienced it, and retained it. Granted my IQ is a bit on the high side, but you can be a moron and still intellectually curious.

I think the frustration from expats comes from them (us) seeing so much potential here and yet on many subjects, there is a feeling that heads are being stuck in the sand. Many of us are here because we feel similar things about certain aspects of our countries of origin. (The political landscape of the USA for most of this past decade was an abomination.)

But it's not like people just don't understand the history or culture here. It's not that difficult to "get". Really. It takes about a couple of weeks to a couple of months to know them, but perhaps it takes much longer to figure out why better choices aren't made when they are so obvious.

suerte a todos

Napoleon said:
It doesn't take much effort to learn about a culture's history and likes. In fact, I know more about the City of Buenos Aires and its history than nearly all the Argentines I know here. I've played 5v5 or 6v6 futbol with two different groups nearly ever week for the last 2 1/2 years. I've gone to wine tastings with locals & expats for nearly as long and they ages are from the early 20s well into their 60s. Strangely enough I'm friends with a little group of college kids and I've taught English to various people all around the city.

I know this city's history. I know when various waves of immigrants came and where they came from and where they settled. I know the likes and dislikes of the majority of the people in this city. And it's not like I'm magic or something to know all of this, I just have researched it, asked about it, experienced it, and retained it. Granted my IQ is a bit on the high side, but you can be a moron and still intellectually curious.

I think the frustration from expats comes from them (us) seeing so much potential here and yet on many subjects, there is a feeling that heads are being stuck in the sand. Many of us are here because we feel similar things about certain aspects of our countries of origin. (The political landscape of the USA for most of this past decade was an abomination.)

But it's not like people just don't understand the history or culture here. It's not that difficult to "get". Really. It takes about a couple of weeks to a couple of months to know them, but perhaps it takes much longer to figure out why better choices aren't made when they are so obvious.

suerte a todos

Well said. Perfect anecdote, I've met tons of people from Malibu, Pacific Palisades, and the west side of Los Angeles who have never set foot in the south side (except USC) or east side of the city. The things they know about the other side of "their" city are the things they learned from movies such as "Blood in Blood out", and "Boyz in the hood". But ask them about Rome, Paris and Barcelona. They're experts.

Just because you've lived in a city or country all your life doesn't mean you automatically know it or its problems any better than an expat. And that doesn't necessarily mean an expat knows it better either. That goes both ways, here in Argentina and in the US.

Napoleon said:

I can't necessarily speak for anyone else, but what I find frustrating is exactly what Napoleon mentioned. I see so much potential for the country, but it seems as though few people here care. There is a plethora of different types of fruits and vegetables being grown in the country, but barely any of them end up in Argentine markets. The government charges outrageous import taxes, but there are very few industries within Argentina to take over what is lacking on imports. And when there are, they charge the same outrageous prices for their inferior products that seemed to be put together on the fly with a piece of string and non-stainless steel. Of course the country is capitalistic, and if they can get away with the prices they charge, why not? However, the consumer surplus is being almost completely eaten up. I really wonder how people survive here making pesos, when the clothing and grocery stores are charging as much or more than they do in the US.

I'll admit it. I'm spoiled. I'm spoiled to hell. Adapting to this environment has been really difficult. I really miss US conveniences. I miss US efficiency. I miss US craftsmanship. I miss US prices. Most of all, I miss US law implementation. I miss the rationality of US roads, and how if anyone drives recklessly, they're pulled over. I'm living in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, and I still wake up most days pissed off. I realize that I have it absolutely amazing compared to the majority of people living here, but to me, it's not worth it. I don't feel like I'm receiving the quality of life that I should have for the prices I pay. And THAT is the issue.

For example, my husband bought an Industria Argentina electric tire pump (or whatever those things are called). He plugged it in for the first time and turned it on to the medium setting. Don't get me wrong, the motor was fantastic. It was bulletproof. The motor was so good that within 10 seconds it vibrated so violently that lifted itself off the ground and THREW itself back down and shattered the casing into a thousand pieces. Of course, he took it back to Easy to return it. When he went up to the counter to do so, the lady said oh yeah, there are a ton of problems with that thing. Almost every person that buys one, returns it. Why stock it? Clearly it's creating a loss.

A city example... The subte expansion and the bridge closure in Puerto Madero, combined with the fact that the port is located in the middle of the city is making it impossible to get anywhere in less than an hour. It just seems as though there is no forethought put into these public works projects. Yes, it all needs to be done eventually, but why all at the same time?

I just feel an overwhelming feeling of everyone trying to screw over everyone else in this city. (As a sidenote: really only in Capital. Everywhere else I travelled to in Argentina I didn't get that vibe at all.) Every time that my husband or I signed a contract for anything, without fail, it was nearly a month late. How complicated is it to have things done on time? All this accomplishes is the creation of bad faith and distrust. I don't feel I can count on nearly anyone here. I would have loved to start a business in this country because of all the potential and resources, but after living here and truly experiencing the everyday hassles, I don't think it's worth it. For all the rules and regulations in place, no hay oponibilidad.

mini said:
I don't see anyone "imposing" anything on anyone. It's just a discussion.

Thanks for pointing out that this is just a discussion. I kind of suspected it, that's why I don't understand why some people insist that their choices are the only right ones.

That sure sounds like "imposing" one's point of view.

SaraSara said:
Thanks for pointing out that this is just a discussion. I kind of suspected it, that's why I don't understand why some people insist that their choices are the only right ones.

That sure sounds like "imposing" one's point of view.

Clearly I missed something.

All beef in Argentina is aged. Not so in North America. In fact, aged beef in North America is considered something you should pay more for (a premium product). The reason that Argentina beef is so famous is the aging process. Yes, the cattle are range cattle as opposed to feedlot, and thus much healthier, but range beef is tougher. It is because of the toughness of range beef that it must be aged. This same process used to happen in North America pre-1980s. But the industrialization of beef production in North America eliminated the need for aging.

sabinabowler said:
I can't necessarily speak for anyone else, but what I find frustrating is exactly what Napoleon mentioned. I see so much potential for the country, but it seems as though few people here care. There is a plethora of different types of fruits and vegetables being grown in the country, but barely any of them end up in Argentine markets. The government charges outrageous import taxes, but there are very few industries within Argentina to take over what is lacking on imports. And when there are, they charge the same outrageous prices for their inferior products that seemed to be put together on the fly with a piece of string and non-stainless steel. Of course the country is capitalistic, and if they can get away with the prices they charge, why not? However, the consumer surplus is being almost completely eaten up. I really wonder how people survive here making pesos, when the clothing and grocery stores are charging as much or more than they do in the US.

I'll admit it. I'm spoiled. I'm spoiled to hell. Adapting to this environment has been really difficult. I really miss US conveniences. I miss US efficiency. I miss US craftsmanship. I miss US prices. Most of all, I miss US law implementation. I miss the rationality of US roads, and how if anyone drives recklessly, they're pulled over. I'm living in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, and I still wake up most days pissed off. I realize that I have it absolutely amazing compared to the majority of people living here, but to me, it's not worth it. I don't feel like I'm receiving the quality of life that I should have for the prices I pay. And THAT is the issue.

For example, my husband bought an Industria Argentina electric tire pump (or whatever those things are called). He plugged it in for the first time and turned it on to the medium setting. Don't get me wrong, the motor was fantastic. It was bulletproof. The motor was so good that within 10 seconds it vibrated so violently that lifted itself off the ground and THREW itself back down and shattered the casing into a thousand pieces. Of course, he took it back to Easy to return it. When he went up to the counter to do so, the lady said oh yeah, there are a ton of problems with that thing. Almost every person that buys one, returns it. Why stock it? Clearly it's creating a loss.

A city example... The subte expansion and the bridge closure in Puerto Madero, combined with the fact that the port is located in the middle of the city is making it impossible to get anywhere in less than an hour. It just seems as though there is no forethought put into these public works projects. Yes, it all needs to be done eventually, but why all at the same time?

I just feel an overwhelming feeling of everyone trying to screw over everyone else in this city. (As a sidenote: really only in Capital. Everywhere else I travelled to in Argentina I didn't get that vibe at all.) Every time that my husband or I signed a contract for anything, without fail, it was nearly a month late. How complicated is it to have things done on time? All this accomplishes is the creation of bad faith and distrust. I don't feel I can count on nearly anyone here. I would have loved to start a business in this country because of all the potential and resources, but after living here and truly experiencing the everyday hassles, I don't think it's worth it. For all the rules and regulations in place, no hay oponibilidad.

I sympathize with your frustration. But no matter what Buenos Aires looks like, Argentina is still a Third World country with a long history of dysfunctional and inept governments. We have a long way to go.

Industrialized countries know that and use South America as a dumping ground for their rejects and third-rate products. Easy, a Chilean company, sells the cheapest of the cheap Chinese junk. Neighborhood "ferreterias" carry better stuff.

Back