Ha, What Else? Tango - Milongas

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]1. i find that going to a milonga every day is superhuman ;) and it's only been 2 days...[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2. Cliquishness observed at ElBeso[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2b. A TAP ON A SHOULDER WITH 'BAILAR?" VERBALLY! FROM A PORTENO. to which i said NO, GRACIAS.[/background]

1. I have been doing that for a while and I think it is doable if it is the only thing you do. Though if you plan to do other things it may be heavy indeed, I used to get up past 2 PM every day.

2. I heard from someone who has been dancing here since the late 80's that the "cliquishness" has gotten worse over the years. Tango is much more popular than it was back then, but people were also more open to dance with others. It appears to me that nowadays young people form more cliques than the elder, so I do not expect this to improve soon.

2b. He must have guessed you are a tourist who easily accepts, because certainly that is not common in El Beso.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2. Thurs - El Beso was nice but i definitely preferred Lo de Celia (Wed), as people at Lujos/El Beso know each other x 40+ yrs, + seats are such that it's impossible to cabacear; also people jump up immediately w music and don't even wait to see what's playing, and then your view is obscured. Many leaders i observed at both milongas were musical and showed such an organic pleasure just being there and dancing, which was great to see, but not all. Cliquishness observed at ElBeso; people definitely dance w people they know - and will continue to know when all the tourists are long gone. People dress more flashy/dancy at El Beso, and more elegant and subtly sexy at Lo de Celia. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3. Sun - i was invited to a ?new milonga called Boca a Boca - anyone has any knowledge about it???[/background]

Glad to hear you had a good time at Lo de Celia. The trick at El Beso is to make a reservation and arrive at the starting time, before anyone is really there. You still won't get a premium table (which are reserved for regulars), but you will get a reasonable seat where you will be visible. Also, you will get a chance to dance and be seen on the floor before all the divas arrive. If you start out the evening dancing, you can often keep the momentum going.

Boca a Boca is a practica in La Boca on Saturdays, not Sundays. It is run by Elina Roldan, who is leaving for two months. Yesterday was the last one before she goes.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]1. i find that going to a milonga every day is superhuman ;) and it's only been 2 days...[/background]

I danced everynight no less than 2 milongas for years, i guess its only training. Ahhh, plus a 8 hours regular job during the day. Not anymore, of course.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention here is CLASSES! Get yourself to classes which is a great way to meet people, find people you like dancing with and/or at least have friends to go out with to the milongas (although this thread is getting the last part done quite well!). When I arrived, I found it was useful to get yourself out on the dancefloor at least once with a friend and then the dances would flow from there. Follow Sallycat's advice - exude self confidence at all times!
When I arrived, I also rented an apartment that is only rented to tango dancers and has three rooms, so I quickly made friends and we found out about the milongas together.
I can highly recommend Floreal Milonga and Milonga del Moran as well. They have a real sense of 'family' amongst all the people that go there. Plus the fideos caseros are GREAT!

I was thinking about this article and I think it is wrong.

To use the FBI studies about the predatory behaviour of pedophiles to a bunch of idiots who are awful dancers and clumpsy seductive is going too far.

I think that this missundertanding is cultural. Argentina is not a puritan society. Argentina is not the US were is considered sexual harassment to behave like a man,

In Argentina, to use the dancing for hooking up is culturally ok and cool. Call it tango, chacarera, samba, escondido, cuarteto, cumbia, etc.

There is nothing predatory about that.

When I talk about vulpures I mean clumpsy people who are too obvious that they are looking for something else, clumpsy because they don t understand the timming, because they are bad dancers, because they are loosers who by first time in their life have the chance to be closer than a meter to a beautiful woman, etc, etc, simple jerks. Of course they look for begginers or newbies because nobody else is going to dance with them.

Milongueros aren t entertainers and the Milongas aren t Dysney World. Nobody paid them to entertain you unless you hire a taxi dancer. We dance if we feel like. We go to milongas to be entertained.

So, we might feel like dancing if a) you respect the protocol b ) you dance super nice c) you don t make 2.000 adornos or d) forget a, b and c if we are interested about you.

Some places are very clear about that, so you just dance 2 tandas and that s it.

El Beso is a place were everybody is looking for hooking up but they are discrete and they follow a protocol where if the woman is not interested, she just ignore him when he wants to invite her by 3rd time.

A vulpure, intead, is going to try something before the 3rd one because he is clumpsy.

I met my wife at El Beso but there passed by several months before I invite her to dinner. And she only accepted some months later when it was clear that a family was part of the menu.

Of course there are some men who are simple criminals but they are not vulpures, they are criminals.
Regards

Still waiting to meet any one of you at my milonga La Coqueta de Recoleta! We have had excellent reviews but we are still very friendly and danceable. Mondays, 5-11, class at 3. San Jose 224 or PM me! Guarantee you'll be glad you came!

Still waiting to meet any one of you at my milonga La Coqueta de Recoleta! We have had excellent reviews but we are still very friendly and danceable. Mondays, 5-11, class at 3. San Jose 224 or PM me! Guarantee you'll be glad you came!

Don t hi-jack the thread with advertising please.

Sorry if my response offended anyone.however my response is out of my desire to meet other expat Tangueros that I haven't yet met, a desire to share a passion, inform, and exchange information.. I am a community member and tanguera and have responded to this and some other issues before, although not frequently. I suspect there is a finer line here between sharing information, supporting each other, and being accused of "hijacking" a thread than I realized. I also don't include my business's website Address each time I sign a coment..and.if I was into hijacking links I would've done so when I started out a year and a half ago. Having said this it would be nice if we were less accusatory and more supportive to new posters here. And a PM if there were a concern would be a kinder method of informing the "errant" poster. I still look forward to dancing a tanda with any of you.

Back