HAARP and earthquakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a supposed imperialist, colonialist, island stealer and pirate to boot I wouldnt let it get you down

There are a lot of frightened angry people around at the moment. After what Argentinians have had to live through - the disappearances etc fortunately I never did - some collective paranoia is perhaps understandable if not forgiveable. Having someone else (a Foreigner) to abuse is part of it.

Some years ago I went with my girlfriends son to a River match which happened to be Malvinas Day as well ( before it was moved to April).

He told me, apprehensively, as the flags were paraded, for me not to say too much because no one would be fooled by my castillano.

"If they ask you then dont say you are English - pretend you are Scottish!"

To this I said " What does that matter we were/are all Brits".

Thinking about this he then ventured the suggestion

"Well pretend you are Australian then!"

I know a lot of decent Argentinian's who belive in their countries tradition of gaucho hospitality who are mortified about the anti-western diatribes around at the moment. however some of the same people then go off on a rant about Bolivians and Peruvians and dont see the paradox.

So keep calm and carry on! :)

Nil desperandum carburundum illegitami

I for one have witnessed more animosity towards Argentines on this forum than have experienced anti-American animosity personally from Argentines. I'm not saying people here haven't experienced animosity. Just relating my own experience.

However, I'm amazed at times of the interpretations that people can come up with - even with my Brasilian wife. Example: Capitalists = People who are interested only in making lots of money at the expense of other people and Americans are all Capitalists. I used to get really pi$$ed (hahaha) at this. After years of being married to her I've realized it is just how she's been "educated" for an entire lifetime. Wikipedia Español has come in handy.

I wonder what would happen if you just said "Thank you" and smiled when someone calls you a Yanqui hijo de ****? :)

this is a good thread. we are truly living in interesting times. i think that as things get more desperate, people look to conspiracy theories for answers to events that seem to make no sense or have no rhyme or reason.

i too have been called a conspiracy theorist because i dared to have an open mind and think the unthinkable. i believe it is a fine line however between plausible and not plausible. there must be balance in everything lest ye fall off into the deep end.

not everybody wants to have an open mind or admit the fact that maybe, just maybe there's something more out there. they won't even entertain the idea. it's easier to be an ostrich with their head buried in the sand. if i say and believe that something doesn't exist then it doesn't exist. it's therefor easier to criticize or demonize another person as wearing tin foil hats rather than be faced with something that might distort our own personal perception of reality. this is called normalcy bias or cognitive dissonance.

one thing's for sure, as i've gotten older, i've come to realize one thing - i really know almost nothing. none of us really have it figured out. the most we can hope for is to hopefully possess some iota of understanding about the world and the events around us - that which we can see and that which we cannot.

i find it interesting to go back in history and read about those who believed the earth was flat or that the earth was the center of our solar system. this was the thinking of the day, backed up by the top scientists. those people felt and thought exactly how some of us do today - that they had it all figured out. they even went so far as to put people to death who dared to think otherwise.

here's one of my favorites, back before we knew the dangers of smoking cigarettes:

More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Cigarette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

To the OP, Davidglen77: I don't mean to dismiss your despair - if that's the way my post reads. Being labeled, and negatively, might be one the most offensive things that can happen except perhaps physical violence. In all seriousness, this is what its like to live with other human beings. We are all jerks at times. However, some of us even find ways to be compassionate with others most of the time.

If you look you'll find prejudice everywhere. It's a part of being human. We just experience it more openly here because we are the minority. It is only an indicator of the person's maturity and development level. My suggestion is to take a deep breath, think of all the positive experiences you have with Argentines, and let it go.

On a lighter note; I have been called Yanqui by my Argentine friends to which I respond with feigned indignation, "Yo no soy Yanqui! Soy de Alabama!" That usually causes a short circuit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
perry Newcomers Forum 1
R Expat Life 29
perry Newcomers Forum 70
Back