Halloween In Buenos Aires!?

I guess we're all guilty of it, I just said "American accent" - I should have said "someone who sounds American".

I have a fairly neutral English accent with a twang of the South-West. However, there are multiple accents across England even before Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is considered. How many Americans could pick out Bristolian vs Brummie vs Cockney vs Essex vs Home counties vs South West etc etc. I guess most Americans would just chuck them into the British bucket!

I think this is exactly why non-Americans such as myself get annoyed by many people from the USA. If you lot looked a bit further out of the USA you'd notice there's a whole world out there. Halloween is not an American only holiday.

Reminds me of the time I was talking to an American girl in Paris - we were speaking English of course - she said "I love your accent", when I explained that I liked hers she looked at me confused and said "I don't have an accent". I just couldn't get her to understand that American is an accent. I didn't dwell on this for too long as the goal of the conversation wasn't to discuss accents, merely to use mine for an advantage.

You are exercising an example of a very specific event where an American girl was inside her own bubble, which is completely irrelevant to the topic I posted. I have traveled many countries outside of the US (including Paris, France) and am currently living outside the US and am well aware that Halloween is not SOLELY in the United States, but we certainly have commercialized the event which is how it's come to the somewhat iconic influence it holds today. I'm not talking about any religious observance, or offering to the deceased--I was only inquiring about the spirit I grew up with: haunted houses, costumes, scary music...etc.

Please do not get annoyed with "my lot" because I said really a United States event instead of mostly a United States event. And also, try not to dwell on this either because the goal of my conversation is to just be a conversation about the fun of Halloween.

I'm not annoyed by "your-lot" because of you - it's mainly because of numerous interactions over the years and on small points like I raised. The first time I remember seeing a real life American was in Burger King in the small town where I spent most of my youth. Burger King was our first fast food restaurant and it was the late 80s. The same town has McDonalds, KFC, 2 x Subways, Burger King x 2. Progress eh? Anyway, he was a rather large chap and I clearly remember him ordering "YEAH, GET ME A BIG KING, GET ME A LARGE FRIES." and then "YEAH, GET ME A SUPERSIZE COKE". I was shocked and spent quite a long time wondering why this chap was so loud and failed to end every request with a please.

Having said this, you American folk find me quite strange. I was in a Subway in 2004 somewhere in Miami - apparently it's quite weird to say please after every request.

I've met more Americans I liked than I didn't!

You weren't in Paris around 2006 were you?

Halloween event is even in Japan. I see young Mom with their kids ( adults ) in colourful costumes going around the neighborhood, chanting, trick or treats or something like that.!

http://tokyofashion.com/halloween-in-japan-shibuya-costumes/

Having said this, you American folk find me quite strange. I was in a Subway in 2004 somewhere in Miami - apparently it's quite weird to say please after every request.

I've met more Americans I liked than I didn't!

You weren't in Paris around 2006 were you?

Haha! 2008 & 2013. I will admit our schools don't teach us a lot about other cultures, but hopefully we all grow up and educate ourselves. Just like any culture, we're not all the same. If you go to a Burger King in US, you are guaranteed to meet some strange people!

Something cool for Halloween: Arteplex Belgrano (cinema on Cabildo 2829) is showing the movie Halloween on October 30th and 31st. I am so there!

I hate when people do that. We all know what the OP meant. The US is just over 200 years old and made up almost entirely of immigrants so most of its traditions come from else where. But no one can deny that Halloween as we now it now is an American concoction. It is celebrated there in the form referenced by the OP more than anywhere else in the world. She was just asking for a little guidance on where to find events that mimic the spirit and themes of the Americanized version of All hallows Eve. To try to go beyond that is just trolling. Its like those people who come out real defensively with, "we're amercians too" when someone says something like "the Amercian girl...". Sure if we are in the American continents we are Americans, but when someone says the "french girl, the british girl and the american girl" we all know what they mean, so leave wikipedia alone.

I hate when people do that. We all know what the OP meant. The US is just over 200 years old and made up almost entirely of immigrants so most of its traditions come from else where. But no one can deny that Halloween as we now it now is an American concoction. It is celebrated there in the form referenced by the OP more than anywhere else in the world. She was just asking for a little guidance on where to find events that mimic the spirit and themes of the Americanized version of All hallows Eve. To try to go beyond that is just trolling. Its like those people who come out real defensively with, "we're amercians too" when someone says something like "the Amercian girl...". Sure if we are in the American continents we are Americans, but when someone says the "french girl, the british girl and the american girl" we all know what they mean, so leave wikipedia alone.

Just pointing out that Halloween isnt a United States event, its celebrated around world.Perhaps if you read the wikipedia link you might no know that the Americanised version has spread to many countries around the world. Its in the last paragraph if you can be bothered to read it. No need to get so upset.

Back