Has anyone used XOOM before?

jimdepalermo said:
The form is just a money-laundering control. It's nothing to be concerned about. You can email or fax it to Xoom with your order number and they hand it off to MMT. (Or at least that's what they tell me.)

I'm attaching the form for anyone who needs it. If you're using the latest version of adobe reader, click Sign and then Add Text to fill it out online. You'll still need to print, sign, and scan it.

So all I do is fill this thing out, and then email it to xoom after I put my transfer in? How exactly does that work...do you have any experience doing this?

I just completed a transfer using Xoom. I was very impressed with the simplicity.

I sent $1700 USD, at an exchange rate of 5.63, via the debit card attached to my bank account. The fee was 46.70, which is higher using a debit card (30 would have been a direct bank debit), but I wanted to try this first. I have since added my bank account to my Xoom account to try it that way next time.

My effective exchange rate including the fees, then, was 5.48 pesos to the dollar.

I had to fill out a form there in the office, when I went to pick up my money, with the exact data that is on the form Jimdepalermo attached, but in a printed format slightly different than the electronic one.

I choose "Services" as the type of transaction when I sent the money.

I assume that you can fill out the form when you go there, but since Jimdepalermo was kind enough to upload their electronic format, I would definitely do that. Had I seen it before I went, I would have.

Interestingly enough, I couldn't remember the complete address of my US corporation that sent the money officially. The girl at the desk told me not to worry, just fill in what I could and don't worry about it. I got the feeling this piece of paper is very cursory.

There are limits on Xoom transfers. Check the site to get the correct information, under "Help". Easy to find.

I believe that the declaration you fill out here to receive the money is based on the local ARS $5000 limit that was mentioned for More to give out money. But since More is here locally, I don't know that the Xoom forms and the MMT (More) forms serve the same purpose. As I understand it, to raise my limit to send from Xoom, I have to declare other documentation with them.

To send more than Xoom's default limits you need to fill out more information with Xoom. The website gives you telephone numbers to use to contact them to file this additional information. They mention something like an official government-issued ID (such as a driver's license) to be on file to comply with US regulations. They also say that if you try to send more than the limit, that you will automatically prompted to fill in the required information at the point you send on the website.

It took me about a total of ten minutes to complete the transfer. The girl behind the glass was pleasant and professional. They give you the money in an envelope, but be ready to put it somewhere quickly :) But you're only 2/3 block from Santa Fe.

The area's quite safe overall. Technically it is in Retiro (I was surprised, thinking Retiro ended at 9 de Julio until I looked on a barrio map), but it's effectively part (or outskirts of) Recoleta. It's actually safer than parts of Recoleta where it gets closer to the Villa nearby.

domthegreat said:
So all I do is fill this thing out, and then email it to xoom after I put my transfer in? How exactly does that work...do you have any experience doing this?
My first transfer is still in process, so I have nothing to add to the other reports in this thread.

demokritos described his problems earlier in this thread and offered to send the form, which I requested by PM and then posted earlier today.

Shortly after I ordered the transfer (to my AR bank, btw), a Xoom agent called me and asked for a copy of the most recent bank statement for the donor account and a copy of a government ID. I told her that a friend had told me the local agent also required a form. She didn't know about this but said requirements vary by destination, so I should attach any additional documentation along with the data she had requested.

While we were speaking, I received an email asking me to email or fax the ID and bank statement to them. I attached them, along with the MMT form and a copy of my DNI, to a reply to their email, which they subsequently acknowledged.

Regarding increasing the limit, they asked me to speak with their compliance office at 1-877-748-6444. Although I haven't yet called them, I just received an email from the compliance group requesting additional info in order to upgrade the account. I'm pasting in the request below:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for choosing Xoom as your money transfer service. We appreciate your business.

Applicable laws, rules or regulations and Xoom’s policies require that we may need to collect additional information to provide continuous service for your account. We encourage you to provide this information as soon as possible to prevent further delays in processing your transaction(s).

Please provide responses to the following items by replying to this email:

1. Are you willing to provide additional documentation to Xoom as part of the application process for higher sending limits (yes or no)?
Documentation is required for a sending limit upgrade. This documentation will include, but is not limited to: A copy of your photo ID and source of income (ie. paystubs). We will follow up with a request for documentation based on your answers to these questions.

2. Are there any additional Xoom users/accounts belonging to you or anybody in your household?

Important: We may need to work with you to close any additional Xoom accounts. Xoom does not allow multiple accounts in a household without prior written permission for security and service reasons.

3. Provide a brief explanation of a) the purpose of your transactions AND b) your relationship with each of your recipients from the last 6 months.

4. Have you ever sent money through Xoom on behalf of another person or business (yes or no)?

5. What is the current annual income of your household?

This includes all individuals’ salary, investment income, pension, etc that you will claim on your taxes.

6. Copy of a current (not expired) government issued photo ID. The following are acceptable:
- Passport
- Alien Identification Card
- Driver’s license

7. Documentation from the funding source that will be used to fund your transactions. The following are acceptable:
- Pay stubs (last 2 pay periods)
- Bank statement (last 60 days)

8. Proof of the name and address registered on your Xoom account. The following are acceptable:
- Credit card statement
- Bank Statement
- Utility bill

So when make my transfer...can i jgo there with that form filled out already and thats it? Or should i just show up and play the dumb tourist and wait for them to give me the form to fill out?

I'd fill it out ahead of time. It's easier than standing in front of thew window and writing on a small ledge while people are waiting their turn :)

Worst case scenario is that for some reason they don't accept it and make you fill out their form there anyway.

sgarlow said:
If anyone manages to do with just a passport (no DNI, or other ID number), can you post here? Wondering if it's an option.

Yes, I have need for this input also. Live in San Rafael, Mndza and all of a sudden have a need for a service such as this. Have no DNI or other ties into the Argentine system except for a "QUIL" (AFIP tax #).

Any specific knowledge would be appreciated...

TC

I did it with a passport, even though I'm a resident. I didn't show my DNI.

Heads up to everyone - Xoom's customer service and compliance teams are complete garbage, even if some of them are very nice people. They don't speak Spanish, and they don't have phone numbers for More MT, they do everything by email. Once you call xoom to make sure they have all the needed documents, put in a call to More MT, 4811-5532, as well, and make sure things are clear on their side. They may make you fill out the form again when you go in to the Libertad.

Also, I don't understand why people keep asking whether you need a DNI/residency, I made it clear in my post that I'm just using my (US) passport, several others have said the same.

I haven't experienced the utility bill request jimdepalermo talked about, for what it's worth, but I've provided everything else. If you have it, might not be a bad idea to take xeroxes with you. Yes, all this is a pain in the ass, but for people who aren't doing CCL, it beats the snot out of taking your money out of an ATM. I'm fairly sure people who are under that ARS10,000 monthly threshold will never have to deal with the documentation, either, so this may actually be really simple for a lot of people.

Has anybody tried to use Xoom by transfering from a U.S.A. bank account directly into an Argentine bank account? How long did it take?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Let me second demokritos' assessment of Xoom customer service. I ordered my first transfer last week. They immediately called to request documents, and I received an email with the same request while we were speaking. I sent them everything within the hour. They sent me a thank-you email confirming everything was in order.

I called on Monday to check on the status of the transfer and to request a limit increase. They said all was fine with the transfer, and I already reported (above) what they wanted to increase the limit.

Today, when the online status of my transfer hadn't changed since Saturday, I called More Money, who had not yet received my transaction from Xoom. So I called Xoom, who transferred me to Compliance, who said they couldn't send the jpeg of my passport out of the country without a letter from me authorizing it. They couldn't explain why no one had told me this before, while they were requesting everything else imaginable.

I sent them a signed letter this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll check with MMT again to see if they have received anything.

Back