Has The Long Awaited Crackdown On 90 Day Overstays Begun?

citygirl.
A good analysis.The "permatourists" are a still a needed stimulating ingredient in the local economy..Many of them are rent payers,Uber supporters and have extra disposable income to spend.Besides,they usually don't take jobs away fom Argentines.The gov't is not going to mes with that .At least for now.

Self-deception?

Perma-tourist? You mean illegal immigration.
Stimulation ingredient to the local economy? Well, perhaps you are over rating your self.

I don't understand how the temp visa owner could get a letter? They would have no registered address?

Does it seem easier or at least more straightforward these days to get residency? It has been ages since I've hopped that train, so I don't know how the process has changed. Just wondering what is the impediment to just doing it if people plan to stay? Is it cost, or impossibility, or time?

I don't understand how the temp visa owner could get a letter? They would have no registered address?

Someone with residency transitoria (aka 90 day tourist visa) doesn't actually have (or own) "temp" (temporary) residency. Temporary residency is granted for one year and only after sufficient documentation has been provided, including the certificado de domicilio.

If they filled out the "customs form" on the plane and it was actually "handed over" as they passed through customs, migraciones could/would have the address that was given at the time.

I remember that I provided the address of my temporary apartment (where I stayed for the first six months I was in Argentina) when I arrived in 2006. It was also the address I gave when I got a CDI and was also on the escritoria when I bought an apartment prior to getting my precaria.
emo32.gif

Does it seem easier or at least more straightforward these days to get residency? It has been ages since I've hopped that train, so I don't know how the process has changed. Just wondering what is the impediment to just doing it if people plan to stay? Is it cost, or impossibility, or time?

In my opinion it is easier and more straightforward than ever. A birth certificate is no longer required and, in most cases, neither is a translation of the passport. On line turnos have drastically cut waiting times.

Qualifying for the visa renstista or pensionado has never been cheaper. The current monthly income requirement of $8000 pesos per month has been in effect since the exchange rate was about four pesos to one dollar.

And the DNI is now issued "automatically" and relatively quickly, compare to the bad old days when it was necessary to go to a dark and horrible location (the Registro) at four in the morning to start the process.
emo32.gif

Bajo_Cero2
What do you mean by,"Perhaps you are over rating yourself"?
I have been a legal resident in Argentina for about as many years as you are old.I am a "jubilado argentino" as well.
You could be running a little scared now that the gov't with whom you had a vested interest is no longer in the Casa Rosada.
Sooner or later,probably,later Argentina will begin to modify their immigration priority policies.Then we'll see what happens.

Well, i got in 1 day more notifications of fines than i used to get in one year: ethnic cleanning.

Are the "notifications of fines" for overstaying the tourist visa (the original issue of this topic)?

Is it actually a demand for payment of a fine or is it an official notification of a violation that can only be dealt with by paying?

I once heard a "rumor" that Chinese had to pay an exorbitant fee upon entry, but I am not sure if that is $ paid above or below the table to migraciones. Once admitted, why would they have to pay a fine of any kind?...or are they only given 90 day visa on entry and then expected to pay more later?

I once heard a "rumor" that Chinese had to pay an exorbitant fee upon entry

I also want to know from Bajo how exactly the Chinese get the visa for Argentina from Argentina embassy in Beijing. I know for sure, to get the Argentine visa in 3rd nd 4th world countries..its v v tough. So am wondering how are they getting this visa. How much are they paying? Or are they coming here without the visa from border of Bolivia ?

Funny to see how illegally over-staying is being justified by the numbers being extremely low and not taking jobs from Argentines...I can only laugh as it reminds me of Cameron talking about the high level of corruption in 3rd countries during a period where the panama papers has disclosed the involvement of some the so called "anti-corruption" advocates...HYPOCRISY

Bkentfc:
Argentina is in the 3rd World and more importantly than that it is a former Spanish colony.Unfortunately,one of the things that the Spanish did not leave their colonies was a respect for law which the English were able to pass on to theirs.As a U.S. native that is something for which I am thankful to them.
The Spanish phrase ,"Obedezco pero no cumplo"--I obey but I do not comply" best sums up that attitude.I recognize that the law exists but I feel that ,for whatever reason,I am above it. Another phrase,"Hecha la ley,hecha la trampa"---"Where there's a law,there's a way around it". does also.
In most of Latin America we live another legal reality-- definitely more vague and very possibly more hypocritical----from English speaking countries.Hopefully,this will change here in Argentina.Chile and Costa Rica are notable exceptions to this state of affaires and I believe that Brazil is going thru labor pains in this regard.

Back