Hash Browns

And I have to say overall the quality of potato you get here is pretty damn good compared to the UK where some can be a bit too waxy for my liking. On the other hand tomatoes used to be great as well especially the beef ones but this year they have been awful...tasteless and dry.

Are you using papas blancas or papas negras?
Papas negras are supposed to be drier, like for gnocchi. I haven't been able to appreciate a real difference, to be honest.

Papas negras are supposed to be drier, like for gnocchi. I haven't been able to appreciate a real difference, to be honest.

I"m convinced papas negras are just papas blancas with more dirt left on them. Seriously, we live in South America, birthplace of the potato, and they generally only have 2 types of potatoes at the verduleria... and then the Andinas that cost a fortune most of the time

Can't say I've noticed any difference in texture or taste either. As syngirl says, one is just dirtier than the other.

I think we have eaten 5 bags of these hash browns over the past couple of weeks. We also got them at 50% off at Coto.

I am now looking for a gym ...

That's funny; if you make them from scratch - then you get the exercise before you even eat them. Proper hash browns need to have the moisture removed or they turn out soggy (the towel twist method, or bowl and colander method). They are a pain to make, I reserve this ritual for days when the tendonitis is not so bad :p

Sadly in Buenos Aires the variety sturla is not good quality, it is the same with or without dirt. Sometimes you can find one with red skin and rounded shape, which is good to bake at the oven or into stews.

Before the boom to export soy, potatoes from Balcarce - provincia de buenos aires - where great and cheap. Now you can find good potatoes in Mendoza and the north west of argentina.

I"m convinced papas negras are just papas blancas with more dirt left on them.

I am convinced of that, as well. So if you wash off the dirt yourself it costs less. :)

My verdulero says "Para ñoquis, papas negras, porque son mas secas" but when he has no papas negras and I ask "Papas negra para ñoquis" he says "Tengo las blancas, son lo mismo".
Bloody argentines! :eek:

I am convinced of that, as well. So if you wash off the dirt yourself it costs less. :)

My verdulero says "Para ñoquis, papas negras, porque son mas secas" but when he has no papas negras and I ask "Papas negra para ñoquis" he says "Tengo las blancas, son lo mismo".
Bloody argentines! :eek:

I couldnt agree more, same thing. Just wash off the dirt and you are good to go.

Hash browns are a simple recipe but kinda a pain to make! We scored with Aviko, bought a bunch of bags when Coto had a 50% off sale, seen them at a few locations, and they're a great addition to brunch or a breakfast sandwich without any potato peeling or grating! :)

Well I only bought one bag since I live by myself and they didnt have the 50% sale anymore. But next time, I should probably stock up just in case.

I think we have eaten 5 bags of these hash browns over the past couple of weeks. We also got them at 50% off at Coto.

I am now looking for a gym ...

And thats why I only bought one bag,which only lasted a week, to prevent myself from eating too much hashbrowns.

Back