Hash Browns

I"m convinced papas negras are just papas blancas with more dirt left on them.

I'm sure it. I once bought some of both, washed the papas negras and compared them. No difference in taste or texture.

I'm sure it. I once bought some of both, washed the papas negras and compared them. No difference in taste or texture.

I think that people buy the 'dirty' taters because they are cheaper by weight compared to the washed variety BUT what gets missed is:

1.. (over time) you end up paying for at least a kilo or just dirt.
2.. when the verdulero is picking out the papas, the dirt may be hiding some gashes that have to be cut away - 1K = 800g less the dirt and unusable parts (harder to get away with with the cleaned ones)
3.. eventually washing all the dirt off of the spuds messes up your kitchen sink drain when the soil collects along the pipes. How much is a plumber visit these days?!?!
4.. it takes SO MUCH LONGERRRR to get dinner on the table. Don't get me wrong- I'd rather go no-processed, raw potatoes than anything from a bag anyday, but this to me is a no-brainer.

So what you save per kilo you buy, you will pay much more for in other ways.

Sometimes you can find one with red skin and rounded shape, which is good to bake at the oven or into stews.

The missus brought back some red skins the other day...''great for chips'' according to the grocer she said. They were not very large which meant more faffing about peeling them and most of them were green under the skin. As for making great chips...not so sure. I wouldn't bother buying them again.

Cambiemos vows for a healthier Argentina , le$$ red meat, no butter.....! Will get all the vegans votes :rolleyes:

The missus brought back some red skins the other day...''great for chips'' according to the grocer she said. They were not very large which meant more faffing about peeling them and most of them were green under the skin. As for making great chips...not so sure. I wouldn't bother buying them again.
As you said were green under the skin, not the best for chips except you soak them in water and wait to get the starch out and rinse.

i eat mashed potatoes , would that make me part time vegan? :)

Here's the test: look closely at your plate and locate the potatoes; then look a little to the left or right. If what you see is flat, roughly oval, thick with a sizzling white border, and emits a heavenly smell ...

Then, no.

Back