Hate North Americans?

I can assure you that Argentines don't hate North Americans in general! If an Argentine treats you bad, is because you have been rude or behaved in an inappropriate manner. I have been living in Argentina more than 10 years, and I cannot believe that the Argentines like the British. Argentina went to war with the UK over the Falklands, but you cannot find any Argentines that talk bad about the British. North Americans tend to be very arrogant. On several occasions I have been shopping and cross North Americans and it seems that they get upset when Argentines don't understand English. Argentines cannot understand why a North American would want to live here, because most of them are trying to get to the USA. Really you should just get over it, no one hates you unless you are bad. Enjoy your stay in Argentina.

Mike

I honesty feel that jealousy has 90% to do with it... From my experiences here.

It's funny when you hear an Argentine talking badly about North America... and yet, they are wearing a GAP shirt, have an iPod, have a pair of Converse, and are on their way to McDolands.... Go figure. I love ALL people, Argentines, Americans, EVERYBODY.... but it's sad to hear such misinformed and ignorant comments from Argentines against North Americans....

Nikad...I agree but the fact is that there are LOTS of Americans who can travel and a great many of them are blue collar types who look like the Simpsons. Argentines who travel abroad are usually the wealthier AND better educated (though admittedly not always). If the same group of Americans (educated, generally professional and wealthier) were the ONLY Americans the Argentines saw, the image would be a lot better. Yes, the Simpsons pokes fun and exaggerates certain traits of a group of Americans (actually an Argentine friend insists that the Simpsons could be an Argentine family!) and that is a characteristic of Americans - the willingness of make fun of themselves. The Americans who read this website, however, are far more likely to be listening to National Public Radio than watching the Simpsons.

Let's be honest: the USA has got a very bad track-record when it comes to military and political/economical intervention in the domestic affairs of Latin-American countries. Although they themselves were never invaded by us military forces, the last dictatorship was backed by the US goverment. And let's not forget the Washingon "Consensus" and the multilateral (but US-dominated) financial institutions like the IMF and the WorldBank.
But also when it comes to more cultural 'goods', Argentines simply aren't as fond of US culture as many other Latin-American neighbour states.

Then again I wouldn't say Argentines HATE North Americans. They just like Europeans better.

ReemsterCARP said:
. . . . I wouldn't say Argentines HATE North Americans. They just like Europeans better.
Pretty much what North Americans themselves might say about Latin Americans in general.

And as long as people keep saying that, we Europeans will behave with that air of moral and cultural superiority ;)

ReemsterCARP said:
But also when it comes to more cultural 'goods', Argentines simply aren't as fond of US culture as many other Latin-American neighbour states.

Wait, what? Have you been to mini-America in Alto Palermo?

You're kidding! Argentines don't hate the USA? Man, I'm not going there. I was beginning to think they had some common sense.

Anybody know a good, affordable, stable country to run to from the USA that understands and deplores the ameriKan empire with its insane warmongering, foreign adventurism and -- yes -- worldwide exportation of filthy anti-culture?

:D

Back