Hate North Americans?

bradlyhale said:
Wait, what? Have you been to mini-America in Alto Palermo?

Do you find Alto Palermo to be representative of Argentina?

I'll look up the stats in this book I have about US culture in Latin-America.

DA said:
Hate North Americans?
I have noticed on this forum that many describe a hate towards North Americans from the Argentines. I have also heard that the reason could be the crazy president and his wars the US had before Obama, but I have a hard time beliveing that could be the reason. So why does some Argentines hate North Americans? is it becasue they feel inferior to them? are they jealous? come on give us the truth about this.

First of all do not confuse hate-towards-people with a general negative feeling, and jealousy it's not the case for sure.

I can recommend you read some of the following books in order to begin to understand the general negative opinion about the US. In there you can learn a lot about how cool US untold foreign policy story affected most of Latin American nations.

Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent by Eduardo Galeano

And as if she picked up just after Galeano:

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein

There are many, but that's just for starters.

I have many "north" american friends, most of them well educated, but some couldn't even point Spain in the globe. The first ones feel real shame about what the US has become outside the borders, the second ones believe most of Hollywood-CNN combo propaganda.

Miles Lewis said:
Hey Argentines, leave hating the North Americans to the English please, we have the most reason. They exported their culture, politics and business ethics to us and we bought the whole shooting match. Now the UK is a miserable, aspirational, celebrity obsessed culture almost completely devoid of the buzz you find everywhere in BA.

I blame it on the fat people!

Wow.... What a rude message. No one forced the English to support McDonald's or buy American things..... and last time I checked, McDonalds, TGI Friday's, Hooter's, etc... were all booming in Argentina with lines out the doors.... full of Argentines who choose to go there- no gun to their head forcing them to. If people did not support American things, then they would not thrive and continue to grow. I am not saying I approve of it. I actually dislike chains very much and try not to support them...... but the rest of the world loves the things American's produce. And people are celebrity obsessed everywhere- look at the Argentine magazines... they are full of argentine celebrities.

Furthermore- any time there is a crisis or natural disaster- who bails the freakin world out? We do..... The US donated more to the tsunami victims than the rest of the world combined.... and we do this all the time. I would love my tax money to be spent on my own country- on healthcare and education, but we are too busy saving everyone else. And no one wanted the war- except President Bush- who is an idiot- but that was not the American people's decision..... he rigged an election 2 times to get elected president..... And the next time England has a problem or needs to go to war or needs money or anything else- who will they go to first? The US of course.... just like every other country.

And I am still wondering what fat people have to do with anything at all- seriously, was that necessary? England has its share of fat and out of shape people as well... and no I am not fat- I just ran a marathon. Shame on you!

ReemsterCARP said:
Do you find Alto Palermo to be representative of Argentina?

I'll look up the stats in this book I have about US culture in Latin-America.

Alto Palermo isn't representative of the reality in Argentina, but I think it's representative of what many people desire in Argentina and what many think is the reality in the U.S. An Argentine has even told me that Starbucks is the "cool place to be" nowadays. Ugh.

People here eat at American restaurants, listen to American music, watch American TV, and watch American movies. How can you honestly say that American culture is not liked? It's all over the place!

For what it's worth, I can't stand Alto Palermo. You won't see me dining at TGI Fridays, buying my coffee at Starbucks, or eating french fries at McDonald's. I don't even go to these places at home, much less here.

bradlyhale said:
...An Argentine has even told me that Starbucks is the "cool place to be" nowadays. Ugh....

This is the first time I hear a statement of that sort from a fellow Argentine. In almost 8 years in the US, I've been twice to Starbucks: I don't appreciate people showing off their Macbooks and iPods/iPhones just for the sake of it.

Skibunny said:
I would love my tax money to be spent on my own country- on healthcare and education, but we are too busy saving everyone else.

Erm... not quite.

the argentinian ppl i have met that don't like the usa have never been. the ones who have love it and can't wait to go back.

An Argentine has even told me that Starbucks is the "cool place to be" nowadays. Ugh.

Anybody knows thr translation of "tilingo"?

I love americans, and unfortunately i`m argentian! I`m so really ashamed about my country & of argentinians. I should have been born in another "1st world country" i think.

regiazul said:
I love americans, and unfortunately i`m argentian! I`m so really ashamed about my country & of argentinians. I should have been born in another "1st world country" i think.
Don´t be silly!! Just be ashamed of yourself.

Back