Hate North Americans?

Matt84 said:
I'm pretty sure it was another combination of factors what made America great.

Agreed. And great post, by the way, about currency and the piqueteros.

The question I'd like ask of some of the folks commenting here, particularly the "North Americans", is this: do you really care what some not terribly well-informed people think of you?

Look, I grew up in New York and the world is welcome there. Everyone is from everywhere. And all are welcome as long as they show up either with some dough or ready to work their tails off to earn some. Race, religion, language, origin--these are non-issues. The city's information line, 311, will take your call, 24/7, in 170 languages. Want to worship some crazy damn thing? Go ahead, just don't block the sidewalk with your nonsense posters because people are in a fucking hurry, okay?

Did I convince some lunatic Argentines in the 1970s to drive around in Falcons, kidnap children and "disappear" their parents? No. Did I advise the Argentine government to peg their currency to the dollar, take on massive foreign debt and default on all of it and run through five presidents in two weeks when the house of cards came crashing down? No again. And even if the CIA is whispering some dumb shit into Cristina's ear right now, does this have anything to do with me? Not one bit.

The people I know back in, er, North America are good people. My family is made up of good people, my friends are great and I don't think I'm such a bad guy myself. So what do I care if some knucklehead in Argentina with a head full of bad information decides that I'm the physical embodiment of some crazy damn thing he heard somewhere about "North Americans"? Unless the guy is going to stab me, he's none of my concern.

Whether you're "North American" or not, avoid shitheads, avoid getting ripped off and don't be such an asshole that people don't like you simply because you're an asshole. Doesn't this pretty much hold true just about anywhere?

regiazul said:
I love americans, and unfortunately i`m argentian! I`m so really ashamed about my country & of argentinians. I should have been born in another "1st world country" i think.

I dislike people who wants to escape from the boat when the road gets rough. Argentina is poor because we allow it. People tend to vote for politicians who they admire or they identify with. How can it be that Macri won on the last elections? They chose the millionaire instead of someone honest like Solanas.
They voted for Menem twice and some people asked the militaries to run the coup that killed 30K and destroyed the national industry. Then they celebrated in 1982 the taken of the falklands and they believed that we were going to win a war over the NATO. I can continue giving examples but I need to keep working.
So, if you love americans (do you notice that you are american also?) go to live to the USA and be happy. We need patriots, not bootlickers.

ssr said:
The question I'd like ask of some of the folks commenting here, particularly the "North Americans", is this: do you really care what some not terribly well-informed people think of you?
I believe it is Americans who are uneducated. And you're a good example of that here showing that you don't understand the underlying political reason for why some people hate you.

ssr said:
And even if the CIA is whispering some dumb shit into Cristina's ear right now, does this have anything to do with me? Not one bit.
You pay taxes don't you? Then you are indirectly guilty to all that your government does. Unless you actively do something to fight it, some people are not going to like you. It's as simple as that.

I think it's precisely the individualism and "Go f*ck yourself" attitude that makes people despise the U.S.

I do care about what other people think. Some of us may live in different countries, but we all live on the same planet. Our actions -- not just as nations, but even as individuals -- are having more of an impact nowadays than ever before.

I really like your point about being able to be who you want. I think that is important. But to be who you want without caring about how you're affecting the world around you is irresponsible and disrespectful.

bradlyhale said:
I really like your point about being able to be who you want. I think that is important. But to be who you want without caring about how you're affecting the world around you is irresponsible and disrespectful.

Well said.

michal1047 said:
As for the Canadian iStar above who feels that he is a bit better received because he is Canadian and not American...I think he should check that attitude at the door. Come to Mexico and see what Mexicanos think of Canadians.....

No attitude here. I simply stated my personal experience.

As for being Canadian, it takes one to know one....Here's a suggestion.. the next time you go out in BA when someone asks where you are from, say you are from Canada. Their response might be "oh good you are not American" or "I love Canada but hate America". Other Canadians on the board here, I'm sure have experienced the same thing.

What do Mexicans think of Canadians? I don't think Mexicans are thinking much these days, because they are too busy killing Canadians and themselves!... but don't take my word for it....

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/10/01/in-mexico-a-new-murder-mystery/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/mexico-murders/

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...five_murderinmexico_070414/20070414?hub=WFive

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/mexi...dian-murder-victims-girlfriend-cabo-san-lucas

http://www.nationalpost.com/most-popular/story.html?id=2007712

Really - so you think all US citizens should be ashamed of the actions their government took in Latin America many years ago (long before many of us were even born). Or even current actions? The peril and joy of living in a representative democracy means that sometimes a government is elected and takes actions that you yourself don't believe in but the majority do.

Look, do I think my birth country is perfect or has not made any mistakes? Of course not. To do so is naive or willfully ignorant. Do I think that as citizen, it behooves me to be a considerate and educated guest in another country? Of course - I believe that EVERY TRAVELLER from EVERY COUNTRY in the world should behave with courtesy, politeness and open-mindedness. It's called manners.

But I have realized (much more in the last few years), that while my government has taken actions that I personally don't believe in, I should not and will not ever be ashamed to say I'm from the US. As a country, we may have done a lot of things wrong but we've also done an amazing amount of good things. And that being born in the US afforded me a great many opportunities that many in the world will never have and for that, I am grateful as well.

On a side note, I have never been treated badly because I am from the US by an Argentine. I've had people say they vehemently disagreed with some US actions (opinions I often share) but no one has bad-mouthed the US to me. And honestly, if they did, I would find that rude and inconsiderate behavior and probably think less of them as a person. Talk to me about specifics that drive you crazy (I do it here) but don't judge an entire country based on a single thing with which you disagree.

FWIW - I find much more condemnation about the US coming from people from Europe, etc than I do here.

citygirl said:
Really - so you think all US citizens should be ashamed of the actions their government took in Latin America many years ago (long before many of us were even born). Or even current actions?
No but you should be ashamed of your government and aware of what is going on.

citygirl said:
Look, do I think my birth country is perfect or has not made any mistakes? Of course not. To do so is naive or willfully ignorant.
No the ignorant part is that you do not know anything about U.S imperialism. It has nothing to do with perfection or making mistakes. It has to do with murder and pillaging. But that is something you and a few other people in this thread, have a hard time to understand.
citygirl said:
As a country, [...] but we've also done an amazing amount of good things
Yeah, like what?

citygirl said:
The peril and joy of living in a representative democracy means that sometimes a government is elected and takes actions that you yourself don't believe in but the majority do.
Again, you are just another American who is unaware of what is going on even in your own country.

DA
Your first mistake was to assume that they do hate north Americans. They Don't.
Most assume i am north american(im not)ánd they have been nothing but decent to me in the six years that i have been here.
Now if you asked if most of them hated George Bush you would get a different answer.

citygirl said:
Talk to me about specifics that drive you crazy (I do it here) but don't judge an entire country based on a single thing with which you disagree.

That's an excellent point.

We can only be responsible for our own personal actions, not the actions of the country we come from.

As for what good the USA has done? Plenty, but just like everything else the media tends to focus on the negative, the art of distraction.

Back