Hate North Americans?

citygirl said:
You are the one who changed the topic to "what has the American government done" And my response was and is - government exists to govern, regulate and hopefully improve the lives of its citizens, nothing more.
Ok my bad then. But the point I was trying to make was that you don't understand what your government has done and why people would hate you for that fact. Which is, what this thread is about.

citygirl said:
And please, do forgive me for misspelling imperialist.
It wasn't the spelling part that annoyed me but you using it in the wrong context, hence the comment.

citygirl said:
Sadly for you, not one person hated me tonight because I'm from the US despite telling multiple people where I was from. But better luck tomorrow!
I don't think most Argentines hate Americans, those who do, you are not likely to find in a middle-class bar. But they do judge you, especially when you say stuff like: "Why should I be ashamed"? And not only Argentines do that.

Well, I will say again - the only negative judging I've gotten is from other expats on this board :rolleyes:

So no, in my experience, to bring this back to the thread - I have never been judged and dismissed because I'm from the US by someone here in Argentina. (Judged - most certainly - it's human nature. I'm sure I've also been judged by my clothes, my accent, my hair color, my weight, my height, etc) But had someone hate me because I'm North American and for no other reason - nope, has not happened. I'm sure it will at some point (human nature) but I don't think the majority or even minority of Argentines hate North Americans strictly based on where they were born.

And pssssttt - I didn't actually use imperialist in the wrong context. Imperialist means a believer in imperialism as well. (Sub-context being someone who accepts and supports).

Since you continually claim that I have no idea what my country does but I'm a supporter, and that the US is an evil, imperialist empire, I was simply taking on to the title you gave me.

I think the thing I found most amusing of all is that I've been criticized for being both too conservative and too liberal by people on this board. And both sides tell me I have "no idea* about my own country. I'm always interested how someone presumes to tell me what my own knowledge base is, without having any idea of who I am , what I've studied or where I'm from.

But carry-on.

(Side note - why is it that I never see threads about how bad any other country is?)

bigbadwolf said:
What's "nutty" and "crappy" about it? Can you counter his arguments, yes or no? Nor is what he's doing a "rant." Many Americans can't seem to distinguish between an argument and a rant -- presumably because they've never put forward a coherent argument of their own. The only criticism I have is that this thread -- as it's now becoming -- might belong more in the "World Politics" subforum.

Big Bad Wolf - as my Southern friends would say - "Bless your heart". I love the sweeping generalization utilized there. I'm sure you've met the majority of Americans, conversed with them and thus this enables you to say that "many Americans...they've never put forward a coherent argument of their own."

(Not condoning calling anyone nutty or crappy - back to that manners thing - I might suggest that a refresher class is needed by more than a few posters on this board)

citygirl said:
(Side note - why is it that I never see threads about how bad any other country is?)

Actually the thread isn't titled "Hate Americans" it's "Hate North Americans", but the fact that a bunch of Americans have taken over the thread and are stomping around all patriotic, while a couple of Canadians cheer "yay! Canada! Boo, USA! We're sooo nice, like us, please like us!", and only one, or maybe 2, posters have any reference to Mexico actually is kind of representative of the global view of North America -- USA = Brash, loud, opinionated, patriotic; Canada = nice, ridiculously PC, diplomatic, and a little annoying with a bit of a self-esteem problem; Mexico = huh? oh them, yeah forgot they're part of North America, they seem too messed up to be part of it...

(I'm Canadian by the way, please don't jump all over me for this post, my self-esteem can't take it, please like me, please like me)

citygirl said:
So no, in my experience, to bring this back to the thread - I have never been judged and dismissed because I'm from the US by someone here in Argentina. (Judged - most certainly - it's human nature. I'm sure I've also been judged by my clothes, my accent, my hair color, my weight, my height, etc) But had someone hate me because I'm North American and for no other reason - nope, has not happened.
Sorry to inform you that that is most likely not true. Just because you don't notice it, doesn't mean it's not there.

citygirl said:
And pssssttt - I didn't actually use imperialist in the wrong context. Imperialist means a believer in imperialism as well. (Sub-context being someone who accepts and supports).
Edit: Apparently it does.

citygirl said:
Since you continually claim that I have no idea what my country does but I'm a supporter, and that the US is an evil, imperialist empire, I was simply taking on to the title you gave me.
Well you act like you are a supporter, you get defensive when I criticize the U.S government.

citygirl said:
I think the thing I found most amusing of all is that I've been criticized for being both too conservative and too liberal by people on this board. And both sides tell me I have "no idea* about my own country. I'm always interested how someone presumes to tell me what my own knowledge base is, without having any idea of who I am , what I've studied or where I'm from.
The reason I said that was because your claim about your government being elected. To most people it has become pretty obvious that there are no free elections in the United States anymore. But that is way off topic.

citygirl said:
Again you show that you do not understand anything that has been said in this thread.

Syngirl - I would like you but I'm too busy stomping around and ignoring and oppressing other people.:p

Now if you can hook a girl up some Timbits & a Bradors, you will be my BFF! :D

Orwellian - just an FYI:
Noun1.
69185-imperialist.gif
imperialist - a believer in imperialism believer, truster - a supporter who accepts something as true

And again, please read for comprehension. At no time have I ever gotten defensive when you criticize the US Government. I believe there is a great deal to criticize but more importantly, I believe you have the right to criticize.

I do however point out what are fallacies and inaccuracies when one tells me how much THE COUNTRY (not the government) sucks. There is quite a difference between the two things.

And I could actually care less if you hate the US - or any other country - have at it.

citygirl said:
(Not condoning calling anyone nutty or crappy - back to that manners thing - I might suggest that a refresher class is needed by more than a few posters on this board)
I might suggest you read some about Latin America's history before you post in threads like this one. Otherwise you are just going to keep proving my point.

ssr said:
Is "orwellian" an Argentine? If he is, I'm curious why he'd spend so much time at an expat site writing all sorts of nutty crap. There are other Argentines who comment here who contribute to the conversation, which is useful for expats, but hanging around an expat site to rant at visitors to your country seems a bit sociopathic.

I have theory about what's going on with the number of posters(not just Orwellian) recently that seem very far left. Most of these people are not in Argentina and have probably never been here. Most I would bet are actually Americans and as someone else said in another thread they almost never contribute or comment about any topic that's actually regarding Argentina, it's usually just a steady stream of anti-American bile. I think they are gravitating to this site as many of these people are Che wannabe's and at least this is site has something to do with Argentina. I imagine them walking around with scruffy beards, berets, and military fatigues. They actually live someplace like Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Home is actually the spare bedroom in the basement of Mom and Dads house. They are employed as fast food technicians in the local fast food eatery or some other similar type job. I think they are angry about their lack of success in life, and the fact that hardly anybody takes them seriously.

Back