Have you accustomed to Argentine Life?

It took me 2 years before my first male-to-male embrace/kiss on the cheek saludo here in Buenos Aires. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a homophobe or anything. I just really really don't like the idea of another man invading my personal space like that, and the feel of another man's stubble against my cheeks is very off-putting! So I don't think I'll be at risk of continuing that custom on visits back to the States :p

I do find that when I go back, I rarely eat everything on my plate. I agree that here, unless you are in a very fancy, expensive restaurant, most portions are plenty big, but are still not as big as in the States. I am from Houston, and I agree with the previous statement on the overwhelming amount of fat on people. I remember one of my first visits back after almost a year here, I was in the Miami airport waiting for a connection and was thinking how horrible the women looked in comparison to their counterparts here in Buenos Aires - it was really a shocker.

However, I will always be a casual dresser! Sorry, I hate clothes to begin with!

There are some things I miss from the States that I can either not find here or are problematic to find. Chili powder. Garlic salt (I've found it occasionally here, but rarely). Ziploc bags in a box of more than 5. Old Bay. My kind of Tea Tree shampoo. Good deoderant. Good clothes at a reasonable price (although, a Red Tag Outlet store recently opened out here near me in Pilar and they have Christian Dior shorts for 130 pesos!!!) Cheap electronics like a camera or cell phone. Etc, etc. I usually travel with one suitcase, buy a second one in the States (luggage is SO expensive here for what you get!!!) for the return trip and pack it with the stuff I can't find here.

Bacon. Real bacon. I don't care how bad it is for me, bacon and eggs in the morning - I miss that SO MUCH! Jimmy Dean sausage. One of the first meals I have when I go back is usually something along those lines, with Popeye's Chicken a close tie for first.

A funny little side story - On a recent trip to Paraguay (Asuncion) with my wife, we found a nice place that served breakfast. They actually had bacon - the real stuff, not panceta! I ordered bacon and scrambled eggs, then thought for a moment and told the waitress I also wanted toast with some jelly on the side.

She started to write that down, then paused, obviously confused. She said "then you don't want bacon and eggs?" Now it was my turn to be confused. I said "yes, I do want the bacon and eggs, and I also want the toast and jelly."

She was still having problems with this. She says "but you are asking for something "salted" (salado is the word she used, which means things like meat, potatoes, etc - stuff they would put salt on) and something sweet together. I don't understand!"

I had to ask my wife to help me with that one. Turns out that it is taboo to eat salado with dulce. They have a belief that eating the two together will cause you some kind of problem (I wasn't able to figure out exactly what they thought would happen to me) - it simply is never done!

I finally got her to believe that I really wanted both together and it was the best breakfast I'd had outside the US in quite some time :) and it only cost me three dollars...

Thanks for that very revealing bit of information about not mixing sweet and salty! Personally I love to mix the two so I'll be ready to explain myself if I try to do it in public.

About bacon... you can absolutely get the real stuff here. It's expensive but just about any butcher will sell you "tocino ahumado" which is as close to the U.S. version as you'll get (better than "tocino comun" in my opinion). I frequently make American breakfasts with fried eggs, shredded hashbrowns, and crispy bacon.

I also cover my Thanksgiving turkey in bacon, if anyone wants the recipe... it's delicioso.

That's what I buy from my local butcher, the panceta ahumado. From what he told me, the panceta here is usally cut off a different portion of the pig (the back?) whereas in the States I think it's from the belly?

Maybe one problem I have with the panceta ahumado is that it isn't smoked enough? In fact, after watching a video on how bacon is made in the States, I discovered that one secret ingredient is liquid smoke! So sometimes I soak my panceta ahumado in a water/liquid smoke/salt (just a little) solution, let it dry for a day, and then cook it. It really does taste pretty close to what I'm looking for at that point, but it's a bit of a pain :)

pauper said:
Doesn't el postre vigilante violate this rule?

El Queso was talking about the custom in Paraguay, no here. I imagine they don't have that type of postre there.

Lee said:
Being gay I LOVE the custom of kissing men on the cheek.

I adapted to that one like the first day (and I will have been here 3 years next April)!

:)

Well, we're in the same club, but I still find it incredibly awkward with men. :eek: I'm working on it. ha!

I've actually had countless men here throw me the hand, but I'm not sure if that had to do with what they perceived my nationality to be or how they normally greet guys.

bradlyhale said:
I've actually had countless men here throw me the hand, but I'm not sure if that had to do with what they perceived my nationality to be or how they normally greet guys.

Many Argentinos are congnizant of the fact that many foreigners (Americans in for sure) feel uncomfortable with hugging and kissing and are probably being curteous.

The first guy who grabbed my outstretched hand in greeting and turned it into a hug/kiss was my wife's older sister's boyfriend, who I'd known for about a year and had finally decided I had been here long enough to be "baptised."

wineguy999 said:
My (Argentine) wife and I were at a restaurant in Houston last night, and we never cease to marvel at the amount of food people here shamelessly consume when it's obvious their time would be better spent on a treadmill. Looking around you in Houston (number 6 of America's fattest cities) is surreal when you're accustomed to spending time in BsAs.

And then there's the ultra-casual clothing issue...

I went back to the States for ~17 days in August/September. I was planning to buy the next size smaller waist in the brand of jeans that I wear. When I arrived in Miami, I could have bought an inch to an inch and half (they don't make 1/2 inches) smaller. By the time I had gone to LA, then Dallas, then a guys' weekend eating crap in Central Texas, then back to Dallas for some BBQ & Mexican food... I had to buy on faith. I could barely fit into the jeans I was wearing.

In 17 days in the States, I gained about 10 pounds. :eek: And I was kind of watching what I was eating.

Here I live 3 blocks from a crappy gym that I love. Some of the equipment is from the '70s, but the rest of it is from the '60s. Pero bueno. I was told recently by a chica I dated a couple of months ago- "You have an amazing body for a 40 year old." (I'll take it. ;) )

Vamos Argentina!!!

Back