Have you accustomed to Argentine Life?

I had a Fernet & Coke last night.

I don`t drink alcohol, but these non-alcoholic bitters/amargos like Terma are quite pleasant.

I`m only down for a month, but I wish they were back home.

I`m going to drink my fill while I`m here.

A comment on Fernet and Coke.

My lead programmer and his girlfriend came over to our apartment (I used to live in the city) one time for dinner and brought a bottle of Fernet. Of course I had to try it, had nothing to reference any thoughts regarding Fernet.

On tasting the combo, I thought I was going to choke. I managed to maintain control and not grimace too much, but my Argentino friends caught it anyway and laughed. "It is an acquired taste" they said.

Well, all I can say is I come from Texas and never managed to pick up dipping or chewing tobacco either!

Yuck!

I like Fernet and coke AND Terma.

Fernet, I can drink in the USA, although I use the mexican Coke from Costco, which is made with sugar cane, and not corn syrup. The basque shepards in Utah and Idaho like Fernet, so its available here.

Unfortunately, there is no Terma up here.

My Argentine girlfriend said, "you cross the street like a South American" meaning that I don't look as hard for traffic as I did in the states, and I do that walk "just in time" so the car or bus misses me by a few inches.

Back in Los Angeles, I would be dead likely for doing that. Cars do not try missing you...people there would be surprised by hitting you because they were too busy chatting, reading or doing homework while driving.

billgbg said:
My Argentine girlfriend said, "you cross the street like a South American" meaning that I don't look as hard for traffic as I did in the states, and I do that walk "just in time" so the car or bus misses me by a few inches.

Back in Los Angeles, I would be dead likely for doing that. Cars do not try missing you...people there would be surprised by hitting you because they were too busy chatting, reading or doing homework while driving.

I know 2 people who received jay walking tickets in Los Angeles and I have seen cops stop people down town and write them up when they jay walked.

Back