Have you accustomed to Argentine Life?

I think its funny how resistant some of you are to becoming acclimated to the local customs and culture. I always get a kick out of it when I'm in a foreign place and I get asked for directions.

So besides the complaining, I also started to drink Ferent and Coke (I can now drink it without gagging) and when we go out to the clubs til 6 am I have no problem sharing drinks with others.

arty said:
So besides the complaining, I also started to drink Fernet and Coke (I can now drink it without gagging) and when we go out to the clubs til 6 am I have no problem sharing drinks with others.
I had a Fernet & Coke last night.

When I play soccer, I have to kiss 11 guys before the game and 11 guys afterwards.

I take the subte, colectivos, and I walk countless blocks. Two nights ago I had a merengue alfajor from Havanna AND a chocolate one. I am considering getting back into drinking mate.

Tonight I'm going to an asado. On Wednesday I went to a Tango class and then a tango show. I've started shaving about every 4 or 5 days because a porteña I dated recently told me that if I wanted to date more porteñas, I should definitely let my beard grow out.

I buy eggs by the 30 pk. I live in a chorizo. I'm becoming increasingly sexist. (On Mothers' Day, I sat at the table with the other men while we watched 3 women, including a pregnant woman, clear the plates off the table.)

But I can't bring myself to say "tipo", "escuchame", or "viste". I'm not going to start smoking. I'm not going to walk out the door of a shop or my apartment and just throw trash right on the sidewalk. I still can't bring myself to cop-a-feel on the subte when it is relleno (even though many girls tell me they frequently get groped on the subte).

So although I'm not 100% porteño, I'm am getting more and more acclimated.

Napoleon said:
I went back to the States for ~17 days in August/September. I was planning to buy the next size smaller waist in the brand of jeans that I wear. When I arrived in Miami, I could have bought an inch to an inch and half (they don't make 1/2 inches) smaller. By the time I had gone to LA, the Dallas, then a guys' weekend eating crap in Central Texas, then back to Dallas for some BBQ & Mexican food... I had to buy on faith. I could barely fit into the jeans I was wearing.

In 17 days in the States, I gained about 10 pounds. :eek: And I was kind of watching what I was eating.

Here I live 3 blocks from a crappy gym that I love. Some of the equipment is from the '70s, but the rest of it is from the '60s. Pero bueno. I was told recently by a chica I dated a couple of months ago- "You have an amazing body for a 40 year old." (I'll take it. ;) )

Vamos Argentina!!!

Napoleon, two very entertaining and funny posts, well done! However, maybe you should get a new gym, think what you could achieve with modern equipment, perhaps the chicas would start saying what an amazing body for a 30 year old! It could open up whole new territories to explore.

Good point about the kissing - esp as a woman, I totally expect it and it's automatic.

Funny story, a while back, I was back in the US for a business dinner with the execs at a company I was doing some consulting with. We finished the dinner & were saying farewells. I leaned in for the hug and automatically tilted my cheek, expecting a goodbye kiss.

The poor execs were absolutely petrified (land of sexual harrasment training & being PC) and froze. I then realized what I had done and quickly stuck my hand out for a handshake:p

Oooh - and I am quite partial to Fernet y Coca Light but can only drink one of them.

Maté - yes, i've adapted, but i miss good cups of English tea.

Bacon, who mentioned bacon?? I miss the English back bacon. I found some good streaky in Uruguay and i gorged for two days.

I've found if you dont lean over, you dont have to kiss on the cheek - in my experience as a foreigner i have been given the benefit of the doubt...

napoleon cant say "tipo", "escuchame" or "viste". They are the three easist for me. I cant say "che", because it feels weird. I like been called it, but i dont like saying it...

I have been back in the US for the first time in 18 months. The ease-ability and efficiencny was a reminder of how patient I have become.

Napoleon said:
I had a Fernet & Coke last night.
I'm becoming increasingly sexist. (On Mothers' Day, I sat at the table with the other me while we watched 3 women, including a pregnant woman, clear the plates off the table.)

LMAOOO so true

thebookcellar said:
napoleon cant say "tipo", "escuchame" or "viste". They are the three easist for me. I cant say "che", because it feels weird. I like been called it, but i dont like saying it...
"Che" didn't seem natural to me either until I made the connection.

"Che" = "Dude" (cien por ciento)

Moving here from LA, "dude" wasn't just a word in my vocabulary, it was also punctuation in my sentences. So when it clicked that "che" = "dude"*, I became all "Che boludo" 24/7. You can do it too.

*This also means that Ernesto Guevara said "che" so much, they called him "Che" (or maybe "El Che").

Think of it like this:

Jeffrey Lebowski- "Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man."

...equals...

Ernesto Guevara- "Nadie me llama 'Ernesto'. Tenés el hombre equivocado. Soy el Che, boludo."

The kissing will defenitely be a problem when I go back for the holidays -Gee, I tend to kiss everyone! :eek: what will people say?

katti said:
The kissing will defenitely be a problem when I go back for the holidays -Gee, I tend to kiss everyone! :eek: what will people say?
ermmm,,,thanks??;)

Back