Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

OK, I'm trying to pay attention now and I'll also try to sit up straight in class.
So, in spite of the Falklands conflict, we Brits have been given your honorary status of 'top of the pile' along with the USA and the rest of Europe.
Forgetting of course the many, many years in history in this country when the British made significant and constructive infrastructure in Argentina?
More in fact than the USA and other european countries.
That's it in a nutshell is it?

One time i was talking with argentinian friends and they were saying not so nice things about immigrants. I asked who were the immigrants, and they said the bolivians, paraguayans, peruvian etc. I asked them "what about me??? Im an immigrant as well!", to which they replied "no, no, if you are not from a poor country you are a foreigner and dont worry, thats exotique and cool"... I couldnt even believe! (Im from brazil btw). Also I have heard about some brazilians being called monkeys by some drunk argentinian guys in a club, i think it was mandarine in 2010! I wasnt there to see it but I wouldnt doubt it...referred

Yes, we Brazilians are sometimes referred to as monkeys over here. It is not as bad as it was 30+ years ago, but still happens from time to time.

I am Asian. Here in the Buenos Aires I've been called Chino more than once, despite not being the least been Chinese. I've even had experiences where small children jeering at me while yelling "Chino! Chino!" I've even had a police officer or two checking me for my ID.

And when I try to educate them about the differences regarding the Asian races, the usual reply would be "It's all the same." At which point, I normally reply "Yes, for us, it's the same about all you people from Paraguay." That seems to hit an explosive nerve in all of them, after which they would resort to giving me a lecture about how they are better than Paraguayans.

So, yes, here in the capital city, there is such a thing as racism. I suppose it's more to do with them not knowing the world outside their small bubble of comfort. When I am outside of the city, people tend to want to learn more about where I'm from once I tell them I'm not Chino. Portenos just couldn't be bothered with anyone else who is not as "white" as them. Which is ironic since majority of them are descendants of immigrants anyway.

Unreal. How people twist things is shocking.

All Asians are the same. You're Chinese... yet what's with their reaction to be called paraguayo? OMG. I'm shocked and not.

I was really bored so I tried to merge everything in a single map:

world.map.according.argentinians.png

Please take it as a joke :)

Almost never. I can think of just one incident off hand: a woman was at a store counter, asking where the nearest telephone office was. No one there knew except me. I tried several times to tell her where it was, but she refused to acknowledge me. Perhaps she thought some one with a foreign accent was incapable of knowing where the office was. I think it was more likely a dislike of foreigners.

OK, I'm trying to pay attention now and I'll also try to sit up straight in class.
So, in spite of the Falklands conflict, we Brits have been given your honorary status of 'top of the pile' along with the USA and the rest of Europe.
Forgetting of course the many, many years in history in this country when the British made significant and constructive infrastructure in Argentina?
More in fact than the USA and other european countries.
That's it in a nutshell is it?

what the hell has to do what the Uk gave to us in XIXth century with the taste.
The snobish argentines, and those are the people who we re talking about, have a very good grade of nationalism, they supported the dictatorship during the war -a lot of people did- but they still went to Harrods to buy presents, they still spoke with english exp<b></b>ressions, they still thought that england was the best country on earth. Thats why I commented that it is rare to me. But it was a simply comment on how traditions are above wars, even if you love your country. Lets not make a big discussion and make the people continue talking.

Sometimes, when people try to figure out my accent - I'm Fargo-born, grew up in Washington State, have lived most of my life in California, and learned the bulk of my Spanish in Mexico, Chile and Argentina - I tell them I'm Vietnamita.

Back