Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Apparently all Asian people here are "chinos" according to many Argentineans I have spoken with (that's how they refer to them anyway).

A Japanese man (from Okinawa) that my girlfriend worked with was called "chino" as a nickname by everyone in the office.

Now that just wouldn't fly in my country.

And everyone of Middle Eastern origins is a "Turco." I have three Swedish grandparents and one Norwegian, so my wife calls me "Vikingo" when she's upset. "Vikingo de mierda" when she's really upset.

Growing up in the Southern United States, I have seen a fair share of racism . However I find Argentine's to be very racist. Not much to ex pats though. But anyone else if fair game for a snide insult.

I am Asian. Here in the Buenos Aires I've been called Chino more than once, despite not being the least been Chinese. I've even had experiences where small children jeering at me while yelling "Chino! Chino!" I've even had a police officer or two checking me for my ID.

And when I try to educate them about the differences regarding the Asian races, the usual reply would be "It's all the same." At which point, I normally reply "Yes, for us, it's the same about all you people from Paraguay." That seems to hit an explosive nerve in all of them, after which they would resort to giving me a lecture about how they are better than Paraguayans.

So, yes, here in the capital city, there is such a thing as racism. I suppose it's more to do with them not knowing the world outside their small bubble of comfort. When I am outside of the city, people tend to want to learn more about where I'm from once I tell them I'm not Chino. Portenos just couldn't be bothered with anyone else who is not as "white" as them. Which is ironic since majority of them are descendants of immigrants anyway.

Anyone from South Asia is "Hindú," even though they may be a Muslim, Buddhist or some other cultural group.

I guess he is talking about those Islands in the Atlantic that Great Britain possessed when General Roca was clearing Argentina of anyone to be racist against.

what? I think you missunderstood what I said

I really find your comment regarding the British both childish and xenophobic.
In your personal opinion, the Brits only just make it to your list in your skewed social scale.
Quite remarkable.

what? i think you too read without paying attention. I suggest you both to re read what I said.
But anyway I ll explain it.

I said that in Argentine social scale of "status" european is well seen, it is taste, sophistication, etc, I think it happens the same regarding the US and the english (in the sense that english are at the top in the american social scale). Well, here that happens too, as England is part of europe and europe are at the top of argentine social scale, DESPITE OF MALVINAS, which must have been a good resaon to try not to admire you. Not because the war was racist or anything, just because the war was against us, argentines, and we re talking of argentine taste or whatever you call it.
So, to sum up, it is rare to find England on the top of argentine social scale because of nationalism, because theres a history, a war, you were the enemy, we faught against you, theres still a conflict with the islands, and because of these we should not like you. Am I clear now?

Edit: by "we should not like you" I m not talking of me but of snobish racist argentine society.

Back