Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Found many of the responses on this thread to Arlean's post disturbing. It is one thing to disagree with a persons's opinions or perspective but quite another to call someone ignorant, demean their writing style or mock their ideas totally unrelated to the thread subject on fluoride, organic products, etc. Lest we forget, Arlean is a long time member of this community and has contributed countless times to topics in an intelligent, thoughtful, and well informed manner. To berate a person does nothing to change, inform or educate. I have much respect for the civil response to Arlean, posted by GS Dirtboy.
Well said all i can add is right on

ps IF
we don't take this with a little humor,sooner or later we are gonna clash :) Let there be peace on this forum or i'm gonna be forced to use my superpowers and we don't want that!

I love US bigotry. There are the A-word, the B-word, the C-word, the D-word, the E-word, the N-word, the F-word (sex is horrifying)

- but there is no K-word, it is OK to say KILL!

Of course here it doesn't mean the same since there isn't the history of slavery (as far as I know) so I don't think they are saying it in an offensive way.
Where is "here"?

Argentina had large numbers of black slaves, throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, they comprised up to 50 percent of the population in some provinces. When they were freed, many of the men were forced to serve in the army and die for the Fatherland. Blacks formed a disproportionate part of the Argentine army in the long and bloody War of Paraguay, in which the loss of lives on both sides were high.

Large numbers of Afro-Argentines emigrated particularly to Uruguay and Brazil, where black populations had historically been larger and had a more favorable political climate.

I love US bigotry. There are the A-word, the B-word, the C-word, the D-word, the E-word, the N-word, the F-word (sex is horrifying)

- but there is no K-word, it is OK to say KILL!
These are almost thought crimes now.
Although the C word can be a killer when used appropriately and with a lethal dose of venom.

sometimesitssubtle.jpg

I was really bored so I tried to merge everything in a single map:

world.map.according.argentinians.png

Please take it as a joke :)

As an argentine, I would only add "turcos" to anything related to the Arab world, "polacos" to any eastern-european country, "chinos" to all south-east asia (what does dealextreme mean?) and "yugoslavos" to all slavic countries (except from "polacos", of course).

Someone also commented on the size of the country. Argentina is the best country in the entire world (and universe), so it should be located in the middle of the map instead of being in some lost corner!

http://www.businessinsider.com/daily-show-interview-don-yelton-racist-resign-2013-10

Bizarre Republican interview with the daily show...

We had numerous meetings with the teacher & director where we brought very detailed accounts of what had taken place. We also had other children who were classmates who had told their parents what our child was experiencing. Initially, we called these incidents bullying. We are very solution-based and offered to work with the school and if need be, pay for additional supervision on the playground where most of this took place and to pay for training for the playground supervisors so they would be able to recognize bullying, we also offered to pay for books on friendship and inculsion, we submitted many studies on bullying by the CDC to the school's administrators and psychologist. The consensus was that bullying is simply a North American concept that doesn't really exist, we were the problem, being the typical overly protective North American parents. Please keep in mind, this is our response to the question asked on this thread, we are simply answering the question. To have revealed our experience to others understandably opens us up once again to be on the defensive. Forgive me if I do not respond further on this subject. Our experience was very painful particularly because of the deep wounds it left in our daughter & because after so many years here we felt that we had built up a community of friends. Only three families stood by us and only one of those advocated for us at the school.

My kid goes to the American school here. So far, the kids and teachers are all pretty decent. The biggest downside is that it's very expensive.

Back