Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Well if all Argentine feels superior above all other races and frown upon all foreigners, least they know that their "Espanyol~Italiano" heritage descend rightly from the _moros_ whom conquered their countries for centuries and interlaced their purity with arab blood. People calls me in latin america, a _ponja_ not a _chino_ didn't know the difference as to why,until an Argentinean friend told me that _ponja_ means Japon (japan) reversed thus the terminology. When back in the 70' in NYC whilst I studied there, Then New Yorkers and people from across the hudson river into New Jersey, they called me "chings" or "Japs" The "spichs" or "degos" are used very often amongst the new yorkers back then.

Argentinean friend teaches me that they have names for every nationalities: Bolivians:
Bolicas,Peruvians: Perucas, Chilean: Chilote, Uruguyans: Yoruga, Brasilians: Negros,etc,etc. But he says, no discrimination but just joking ?

Argentinean friend teaches me that they have names for every nationalities: Bolivians:
Bolicas,Peruvians: Perucas, Chilean: Chilote, Uruguyans: Yoruga, Brasilians: Negros,etc,etc. But he says, no discrimination but just joking ?

Some of them are ofensive, others no.

Paragua to the paraguayans, not offensive.
Charrúa or Yorugua to the uruguayans, not offensive.
Franchute to the frenchs, not offensive but neither "buena onda"
Bolita, racist.
Peruca, racist.
Chilote, not racist, but very offensive.
Alemanote to the germans, not offensive, but neither "buena onda".
Turco to the middle east people (syrian, etc) not offensive.
Ponja, IMHO, not offensive.
Yanqui, not offensive. Its like gringo.
Brazuca to the brazilian, offensive.
Negro, not offensive.

is it? http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1644335-asi-es-brazuca-la-pelota-del-mundial-de-brasil-que-fue-presentada-en-sociedad

I am not sure I understand your post. Are you claiming to speak for all these nationalities or are you suggesting you personally dont find them offensive? I have a few Paraguayan friends and if you called them a " paragua " to their face, you would have a problem on your hands.

Argentinians, especially the older generations, are very racist. They come from a place and time when it was accepted. The newer, younger generations understand what racism and discrimination is and half the time they are embarrassed by their older counterparts

Paragua to the paraguayans, not offensive.
Charrúa or Yorugua to the uruguayans, not offensive.
Franchute to the frenchs, not offensive but neither "buena onda"
Bolita, racist.
Peruca, racist.
Chilote, not racist, but very offensive.
Alemanote to the germans, not offensive, but neither "buena onda".
Turco to the middle east people (syrian, etc) not offensive.
Ponja, IMHO, not offensive.
Yanqui, not offensive. Its like gringo.
Negro, not offensive.

I am not sure I understand your post. Are you claiming to speak for all these nationalities or are you suggesting you personally dont find them offensive? I have a few Paraguayan friends and if you called them a " paragua " to their face, you would have a problem on your hands.

Argentinians, especially the older generations, are very racist. They come from a place and time when it was accepted. The newer, younger generations understand what racism and discrimination is and half the time they are embarrassed by their older counterparts

I am talking of what in my opinion those nicknames represent to argentine people.

And I think it varied a lot. For instance, and again, talking from argentine collective imagination, Paragua was indeed offensive once, but today, Paragua is affective, it turned into endearment, just like yorugua (which was always affectionate).

I heard Marcelo Araujo, a soccer narrator, lots of times, call Paragua to paraguayan football players publically, and there were no problem at all.

Brazuca pretty much the same, gallego too, tano, negro, loco, jefe, papá, etc, those terms represented something and today are changing the meaning. There are a few that remain very racist, but lots of them, although they sound pejorative, they are not.

The real racist IMO are
Bolita and Peruca
and really offensive, Chilote

The rest can be taken with no offense and it obbeys, as been said here, to ignorance.

Im sorry but your reasoning just doesnt sit well with me. These terms, all of them are still racist. In American, people used the term nigger. Black people got so used to it that they call themselves the same thing, only now they say nigga. Some black people might be conditioned to it and it doesnt bother them but others not so much and if one black person calls another black person nigga, they better be sure the other person is okay with it. If not, there will be problems. But under no circumstance is it okay for ANYONE who isnt black to call a black person nigga. That is just unacceptable. Your comments make it sound like its okay because " some " people are okay with it. Well its not. Say what you will, these terms are not appropriate and trying to make them appropriate is even worse. Kraut, mick, wop, gumba, spic, paki, chinaman, chink, nigger, guini, gippo, brazo, kike. In what skewed alternate reality is it okay to walk around calling people these things? Are we in the early 1900's or something and I didnt get the memo? Just because some people might not take offense doesnt mean its not offensive. I respect everyones opinion but I take serious issue with yours.

I am talking of what in my opinion those nicknames represent to argentine people.

And I think it varied a lot. For instance, and again, talking from argentine collective imagination, Paragua was indeed offensive once, but today, Paragua is affective, it turned into endearment, just like yorugua (which was always affectionate).

I heard Marcelo Araujo, a soccer narrator, lots of times, call Paragua to paraguayan football players publically, and there were no problem at all.

Brazuca pretty much the same, gallego too, tano, negro, loco, jefe, papá, etc, those terms represented something and today are changing the meaning. There are a few that remain very racist, but lots of them, although they sound pejorative, they are not.

The real racist IMO are
Bolita and Peruca
and really offensive, Chilote

The rest can be taken with no offense and it obbeys, as been said here, to ignorance.

Back