Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Last night one of the guys on my speed skate team yelled at me, "Hey Yanqui! Close the gap!" He's a bit of an a**hole and rubs me the wrong way anyway. I told him very clearly to call me by my name or keep his mouth shut. That the next time he calls me "Yanqui" that he and I would continue the conversation one-on-one outside the fence.

I can't say I've ever heard "Yanqui" used in an endearing, affectionate way.

Yanqui go Home :D

In the Jockey Club one night, with a rather large group, I heard someone say - ´I hate that politician, he´s as stupid as a Jew´. I did find that remarkable, for too many reasons to list here. That is my only experience of racism, as an anglosaxon female (jew!)
On the other hand, if you go to the Jockey Club for dinner, you should perhaps expect a bit of antisemitism, it goes well with the overpriced, dull food.

In the Jockey Club one night, with a rather large group, I heard someone say - ´I hate that politician, he´s as stupid as a Jew´. I did find that remarkable, for too many reasons to list here. That is my only experience of racism, as an anglosaxon female (jew!)
On the other hand, if you go to the Jockey Club for dinner, you should perhaps expect a bit of antisemitism, it goes well with the overpriced, dull food.

You re going to find a lot of old fashion antisemitism in Argentinas upper classes. A lot. I mean like Nazi style, as ar the descendants of germans in general. I know a couple of guys who studied at Goethe here (declared Nazi during WWII) and one hates jews and the other had a poster of Hitler in his bedroom. It is more or less what happens with American high classes and the black people. The higher you climb, the more closed to this people..

You re going to find a lot of old fashion antisemitism in Argentinas upper classes. A lot. I mean like Nazi style, as ar the descendants of germans in general. I know a couple of guys who studied at Goethe here (declared Nazi during WWII) and one hates jews and the other had a poster of Hitler in his bedroom. It is more or less what happens with American high classes and the black people. The higher you climb, the more closed to this people..

Goethe died in 1832, could hardly have been a nazi.

Goethe died in 1832, could hardly have been a nazi.

Im sorry. I was referring to the Goethe Schule, a traditional school here in BsAs for the german immigrants, that were 100% nazis during WWII. My bad.

I can't say I've ever heard "Yanqui" used in an endearing, affectionate way.

I went to the Copa America final between Uruguay and Paraguay with my american flag and when the Uruguayan fans saw me in their section they were thrilled and started to sing at the Paraguayans "Tenemos un yanqui! La p--- que te parió!"

Im sorry. I was referring to the Goethe Schule, a traditional school here in BsAs for the german immigrants, that were 100% nazis during WWII. My bad.

Even the jews that flew from Germany during WW2? ;)

This topic is so interesting I had to read it from the top, and got some interesting understanding of how different culture and race see others. Having said that here is my two bits in ...

my love for travel has taken us to different countries and seen different level of discrimination and in some just respect, I guess it all boils down to the animal instinct, now I can expect some bashing on it but its all about the food chain, the ones on top i guess gets respected more then those of us at lower level.

with my indian complexión and country´s situation, my travel to Dominican, Haiti, Antellis islands, Dubai Thailand, Sri Lanka and Maldives went pleasntly.

But travelling to France and Cyprus it started from the airports they would send all indians sri lankans pakistanis dominicans etc. at one corner and when they let all the others with fair skin pass then they allowed the rest of us through like we were second rated humans.

our travel to US was a nightmare and the fact that broke my heart is that they dont even care if you have small children with you. now my best friend is Brit who made permanent home in Sweden, my dearest friend is blue eyed American. so no prejudice here but im talking of airports is because these are the face of any country there are no fake civilities there just raw honesty of how they see you or expected to treat you.

my last and most recent travel here to Argentina, airport was pleasent they did not discriminate us for the color of our skin or the Passport we carried only discrimination I experienced here is when i halt a taxi on the road more then often they just wave no, some of them dont even bother to wave and one when i was about to sit in the taxi he refused and i had to find another, I may be wrong maybe they are supposed to do that if they are not available but they seemed available to me. And everytime I sat in a taxi they ask me where Im from, but I think thats a common question!

So the answer is no, not really Argentina is pretty ok compared to some other countries.

I would also like to add, to those of fair skinned people here with blue eyes, you all are beautiful, darker people and countries find you very attractive, there are people in half of the world who pay alot of money to have fairer skin and people who actually bleach their hair to look more blonde and people who leave their own home countries including Argentina to be Americans or Europeans, so what is the opposite of discrimination?

I have lived in many countries and I don't see Argentina as a particularly racist country.
It is the same as every country that has had a lot of immigration. There are stereotypes - about locals and about immigrants - but decent people don't get hung up on stereotypes, they deal with people on their individual merits.

Back