Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

New USA law proposed against discriminatory slurs in the football field, racial or homophobic comments will get a 15 yards penalty.... :D

How about this one? http://www.salon.com/2014/02/24/republican_lobbyist_is_drafting_legislation_to_ban_gay_athletes_from_the_nfl/

I've never been discriminated against for my race (here), mainly because I'm white, ordinary looking and could pass as a tourist.
But I'm looking to change my bike which is tricky now with the new taxes.
When I ride the bike, I'm generally a bit scruffy but comfortable.
I don't like the way the bike shop assistants look me up and down all snooty like in that 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' attitude.
At that point, I generally walk.

I've hesitated to reply, but now that this thread has gotten so long I thought I'd throw in my minority perspective, which many here may never have considered.

I'm 1/2 Argentine (and that half is half indigenous, half Lebanese, from Santiago del Estero) and live in/ own apartments in Recoleta, so I actually have to deal with racism quite a lot. As in, when I'd be wearing gym clothes on the way back from Pilates class people would think I was the mucama/ I have been told to take the service elevator in a building where I own an apartment more than once - by renters! - etc. Depending on how I am dressed, shops or restaurants might hesitate to open a door for me where an obvious expat or tourist would be greeted with a smile and attitude that I know to be fake. It's actually a great way to see someone's true colours right off the bat - when people find out my real background, their tune changes completely. I totally understand that expats would have a much more positive view of the people here than I do, because they never have to deal with the racist bad attitude that I get a lot and must just think that everyone loves them or that they somehow just radiate awesomeness.

It's really strange - I am 5'9" and very pale, so if I tell people - especially expats who don't really understand or care about the racism here - this they are shocked ('but you don't look...' - as if it's OK to treat people differently regardless!) Also, I have had to deal with guys in the dating arena* telling me that they 'can't believe how attractive I am because I am not blonde' (their words, more than once). Solution? Throw them out on their ears immediately + only have younger lovers (works for me!) The younger ones seem less racist to me but middle aged to old Recoleta people can be a nightmare both in the racist sense and the envy of expats sense!

The plus side is that it keeps me safer from street robberies, and that I have access to places/ situations/ onda with people that most expats simply cannot both because of this and because my Spanish is native level and I don't have an 'expat' accent. It can be a blessing and a curse.

I also have to deal with a lot of the ripoffs etc that expats get (when doing things in my apartments, for example, not so much when out and about) so it's kind of the worst of both worlds in that sense.

*and I do mean arena, in the Roman/ gladiator sense jajaja

Never experienced racism, but again like the posters above have said there is a class of people here who will be extremely rude to you if you give them any hint of not being well off.

Conversely, there is another class of people who will be rudge and agressive if they perceive you to be wealthy.

Argentina is a very divided society, at the extremes a minority of people become very insular and defensive. It's like an open conflict or fracture in society here.

On another note, actually breaking into the closed Argentine circle can be a Herculean task at times.
Being in a group of say 15 or more and trying to make conversation with anyone without interruptions or them cutting you short and beginning a conversation with someone behind you is challenging.

I liked the the input from homeinbuenosaires. She also sounds like a babe.

I think like many people have already said, there is racism in every country and in every culture. In some places it's more obvious, and in some places it's looked down upon, but there is a general tendency to trust "your kind" and to distrust "them". Not sure if does any good comparing the racism in one country to another.

I think anyone who watches television in Spanish can clearly see how whiteness is favored, and presented as more beautiful. Anyone whose watched Latin American soap operas (and has never been to whatever country produces that soap opera) would swear that the locals tend to be fair skinned, with colored eyes, fairly affluent etc. The reality is often far different. The television, and magazines favor light skin, and this transmits to the local thinking as well (whiter is righter, haha).

However, my personal theory is that racism now a days has a lot more to do with classism. It's more often than not that the poor are discriminated against regardless of their skin color, though they do tend to be darker. Given that all of Latin America had a population of dark skinned natives, with white skinned colonizers (who ended up being the ruling class) people associated fair skin with wealth and power. There has been a lot of integration here since those days, but on the whole people in Recoleta are lighter than those in Moreno, and those in Recoleta also tend to be wealthier. It's just the result of the history here.

Some darker skinned people have a chip on the shoulder about this. In fact, I know one brown skinned lady who is 10 times more racist against "negros" then anyone else I've met here. I think she feels she has to prove she is not part of "them". The poor can also discriminate against the rich or middle class. It's the same classic trend all over the world.

I remember when I was in school that some kids would get left out of certain things because they couldn't afford to fit in with the in crowd.

I am a little darker than most people in Capital and my accent is such that I often get mistaken for a Peruvian. I find that people instantly relax when they find out I'm not Peruvian. That's given me some insight into how people often view Peruvians. I've had people change their whole attitude towards me, including body language and posture, when they realize that little assumption wasn't true.

I don't often get mistaken for a westener, and so I've also had the opportunity to hear a lot of people complain to me about the US, in particular. I've heard people say very hateful things about the States, for example "I hate that country, it should be wiped off the map." I don't think this reflects the majority of people's thinking and I think they often do treat Westeners very well, but there is definitely some anti-Western sentiment lurking about as well. This is especially true in leftist circles. I think it's the similar kind of thinking that says "that country is what keeps us poor, and they need to go".

Anyhow, I think there is racism here, and it's sucks to be on the receiving end of it. Overall, though, I've been treated very well, and I have felt very little discrimination personally. Some people may have a racist attitude, but they'll often judge people individually (at least once they get to know them a bit).

I've had the odd ball comment here and there, but I understand that before I was exposed to different cultures and ways of thinking that I too had many prejudices. Much of it is just ignorance and lack of exposure.

I think it happens everywhere ,for instance, I became aware that I was not treated or greeted the same at DMV in California if the clerk was a black lady or a Latino lady Since you have so much time as you wait in line,I've noticed that the greetings among the same race are much warmer and humane than when dealing with people of a different race or background,same thing happens if try to interact with people of a different race at the grocery store or a car dealership.
For the longest time I never noticed or paid much attention to it.I figured the lady or dude was just having a bad day/
I believe that saying anything about it is much more dangerous in California than here due to civil liabilities .
I feel that if you think you are being treated differently around here,you can come out and speak your mind and if it comes down to it you can tell him/her to go to hell without fearing a lawsuit like in California
So yes they treat you different here but you are free to tell'em to f'ck off and many other things as they come to mind

I believe that saying anything about it is much more dangerous in California than here due to civil liabilities .
I feel that if you think you are being treated differently around here,you can come out and speak your mind and if it comes down to it you can tell him/her to go to hell without fearing a lawsuit like in California
So yes they treat you different here but you are free to tell'em to f'ck off and many other things as they come to mind

Arguably, it is more dangerous in California because there are a lot more firearms there. There are no drive-by shootings in Buenos Aires.

Arguably, it is more dangerous in California because there are a lot more firearms there. There are no drive-by shootings in Buenos Aires.

Arguably it's more dangerous in CT (and others), where gun control laws have made it nearly impossible for good law abiding people to be allowed to carry a firearm for protection, hence making it easy for crooks and criminals (who obviously don't respect the aforementioned laws) to be the ONLY ones with a gun and no citizens nearby able to stop them.

Back